Rolling Stone Slammed Over Honorary Title for Harry Styles: ‘There Is No New King of Pop’

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Social media users pushed back on Rolling Stone UK bequeathing Harry Styles with the title of “King of Pop” in a new cover story of the world-renowned pop star. Among them was Taj Jackson, a singer and nephew to the late Michael Jackson, who wrote that the magazine didn’t “earn” the moniker, which is trademarked to the Jackson estate.

“There is no new King of Pop. You don’t own the title @RollingStone, and you didn’t earn it, my uncle did,” Jackson said on Twitter. “Decades of dedication and sacrifice. The title has been retired. No disrespect to @Harry_Styles, he’s mega talented. Give him his own unique title.”

the magazine has previously given the title to the likes of Justin Timberlake, in a 2003 cover story that called him “the New King of Pop.” The trend has also occurred outside of the publication, with articles linked that bequeath the title to Justin Bieber, Ed Sheeran and others.

Rolling Stone continues to slide into oblivion. What is the point of reusing a popular nickname over and over, especially for fairly bland singers.

I'll save my lol's for those getting upset about this. King's change. If she'd only die, Queen's change. No one owns the words "King of Pop." For marketing and money making purposes perhaps but not as an adjective phrase? No. As for whether he's bland, who is he? Name sounds familiar.

Styles - Styles - wait, didn't he play drums for The Kings on that Switchin To Glide song?

Didn't Michael Jackson self gloss with that title? I'm not a fan of folks that do this as it is usually for some sort of monetary gain.

Didn't Michael Jackson self gloss with that title? I'm not a fan of folks that do this as it is usually for some sort of monetary gain.
From what I've read, Liz Taylor called him that at during one of the awards shows. Mushroomed from there?

Anyway, this guy should be the king of Pop:

images