RIP, Wayne Roller - referee from Lancaster

Zunardo

Just saw this on Facebook- longtime basketball official from the Lancaster area Wayne Roller passed away suddenly yesterday. See the link below, a GoFundMe account has been established to help the family with medical expenses.

As a PA announcer, I worked with Wayne a number of times over the last 20 years. He was the outgoing type, and good about keeping the players and coaches loose with a funny line every so often.

The last game I worked with him was during the OHSAA tournament. One team was ahead by 30 points deep in the 4th period, and the remaining subs were sent to check in - except play wasn't stopping, no turnovers, no fouls. Wayne dramatically called time-out and bent over to tie a non-existent loose shoelace so the subs could get check in and get some tourney playing time. Quite a character.

https://www.gofundme.com/wayne-roller-medical-expenses

Heard the news Saturday morning. I didn't realize what state of health he must've been in recently - I last saw him a few years ago and he looked good.

Rest In Peace, Wayne. You served as an inspiration and a great encouragement to many young men in the area that decided to put the leg work in and become the next generation of referees. We will miss you!