RIP Adreian Payne

This is sad, saw him a couple times at Jefferson before MSU. He was another big guy Izzo was in the habit of getting from Ohio. Any cause listed anywhere?

I met him when he was a 10th grader and was lucky enough to cover their run to the state his senior year. Sad news...

Shooter stayed at the scene. This one's going to playing around or defense. I'm tired of saying "sad." We've had a 7 month shot this past week. That's "sad."

Yeah, I'm losing a bit of civility....
I am sorry to read this. I understand, but I am sure your truth does not make you happy. We live in a world that is all too violent.

Shooter stayed at the scene. This one's going to playing around or defense. I'm tired of saying "sad." We've had a 7 month shot this past week. That's "sad."

Yeah, I'm losing a bit of civility....

According to the police affidavit, it sounds like the shooter had a history of beating on his girlfriend. Payne's girlfriend was a friend of hers and asked AP to show up when the guy was coming home to encourage him to behave. Shooter talked to Payne, went into his house, came back out with a gun and shot him then claimed he thought Payne had a gun.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...ls-michigan-state-lawrence-dority/9716053002/

More tragic details have emerged in Monday’s shooting death of Adreian Payne in Orlando, Florida.

The former Michigan State basketball star, according to court documents, went with his girlfriend to assist a female acquaintance who was in an allegedly abusive relationship when the suspect, Lawrence Dority, shot and killed Payne. Deputies from the Orange County Sheriff’s Office said Payne, 31, was unarmed.

The elder Dority, who remained in his car, told police his son approached the car’s driver’s side and began “talking close together” with Payne at the vehicle. According to the affidavit, the father said he felt Lawrence Dority “appeared to be intimidated based on the size difference and (his son’s) stance.”

Payne was 6-foot-10 and 244 pounds; Dority’s court file lists him as 5-8, 150.

The younger Dority told deputies he interpreted Payne’s presence as a threat, according to the court file, and shot Payne after he got out of his car. According to Dority, Payne was “making movements with his right hand in the right side of his waist band” and that he “observed the ‘shape of a gun’ on the right side of his shirt, where he was moving hand.” Dority also claimed Payne said, “I’ll smoke you bra,” which Dority said is why he left the vehicle and went into his house to get his gun after the initial verbal confrontation.

A witness told police Payne “was not threatening Dority in any way.” Dority then exited his home and, according to a witness in the affidavit, returned to the car “holding something under his shirt which she believed was a firearm.”

According to the affidavit, security camera video and audio from Dority’s residence captured a female voice saying, “Do not pull out your gun” and “We were asked to come here.”

According to the police affidavit, it sounds like the shooter had a history of beating on his girlfriend. Payne's girlfriend was a friend of hers and asked AP to show up when the guy was coming home to encourage him to behave. Shooter talked to Payne, went into his house, came back out with a gun and shot him then claimed he thought Payne had a gun.

As I said originally. The guy by staying and waiting supports his claim.

There is no solving problems this way anymore. We had a similar discussion some promoting we were better when we 'policed our own." POLICE are supposed to police. Even well intentioned, "big" means nothing to anyone anymore when you can just pull a trigger.

If the woman didn't have the sense to get out of the abusive relationship, call the police for protection, she made her decision. Now she's gotten someone killed and absolutely any thoughts against her are "blaming the victim."

Yep, my civility is heading out the door.

Last edited:
I can't see where there is any legitimacy to any sort of self-defense claim. Even if Dority was threatened or felt threatened (a great big IF IMO), he still left the scene, went into a house to retrieve his gun, then came back and shot Payne. It's kind of tough to claim you were defending yourself when you leave the situation, get a gun, then return to the scene where you were threatened. Police and prosecutors look at that type of conduct as evidence of premeditation, not self defense; hence the first degree murder charge.

I can't see where there is any legitimacy to any sort of self-defense claim. Even if Dority was threatened or felt threatened (a great big IF IMO), he still left the scene, went into a house to retrieve his gun, then came back and shot Payne. It's kind of tough to claim you were defending yourself when you leave the situation, get a gun, then return to the scene where you were threatened. Police and prosecutors look at that type of conduct as evidence of premeditation, not self defense; hence the first degree murder charge.
I'd agree but Legalities don't bring anyone back to life.

In HIS mind, he was defending. He had been embarrassed in front of his girl and his father. It's already established what kind of guy he is. He's a bully. If Payne did say what he is accused of saying, this is what happens when you try to bully a bully. Even if he didn't say it. It's hard not to embarrass a bully. Anything that doesn't affirm what they have in their head, is an attack. When a celebrity does it? Someone is going to pay, usually the weaker. A gun makes everyone weaker.