Remaining Open Dates (Ohio schools)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know anything about the new conference Caldwell is joining?

I believe that wording was on the OHSAA open dates page because of the new Mid-Ohio Valley League. They had to move around some games and drop some teams to accommodate other teams, not themselves.

Thursday night update.

Another double scheduling for Week 10 with Meadowdale, Ponitz, and CHCA. I see more issues with DPS scheduling as there are not enough open weeks to get all of their league games in.

o_O Goodbye to a fairly long rivalry!
Feels like this came out of left field...so I don’t know if anything is set in stone yet. I heard rumors of Cuyahoga Heights & Kirtland potentially backing out of the yearly scheduling (either temporarily or permanently), but didn’t see it coming THIS soon. Would be sad to see a rivalry between two of the best small school programs end so suddenly, so hopefully it’s just a hiatus.

Oil City would be an interesting game though. I believe they won their district & region in PA last season & they lost in the state playoffs. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think CH has two open dates now (week 3 & now week 4), that is, if this out of state matchup gets confirmed by both sides. Very shocking or interesting move, depending on how you view it!

Feels like this came out of left field...so I don’t know if anything is set in stone yet. I heard rumors of Cuyahoga Heights & Kirtland potentially backing out of the yearly scheduling (either temporarily or permanently), but didn’t see it coming THIS soon. Would be sad to see a rivalry between two of the best small school programs end so suddenly, so hopefully it’s just a hiatus.

Oil City would be an interesting game though. I believe they won their district & region in PA last season & they lost in the state playoffs. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think CH has two open dates now (week 3 & now week 4), that is, if this out of state matchup gets confirmed by both sides. Very shocking or interesting move, depending on how you view it!
It appears this has taken a turn from what was originally reported.

It looks like there is a scheduling conflict that involves Geneva finding a week 3 game, according to local media.

If Geneva cannot find a week 3 opponent, it seems this game would fall through. That must mean that the Cuyahoga Heights rivalry is still on.

Tiger going to play his alma mater I believe. Good for him!
That is correct. My school played at Oil City a couple years ago, and the locals told me OCHS couldn't find a way to hire LaVerde into their district years ago when he was in his early years as a teacher and coach in that area. They regret not being able to bring him home back then, but like most Rust Belt towns, they are extremely proud to see their native son make good. They will give him a hero's welcome. The Oil City folks were extremely gracious hosts. It was a long drive, but we had the good fortune of making it in late fall when autumn in the Allegheny Valley was in full swing. It would've been nice to see the team come home with a win, but I'm glad we got to make the trip. I'm sorry I can't recommend any places to eat in OC for anyone thinking of making the trip, but the pizza they served after the game was just fine.

Last edited:
It appears this has taken a turn from what was originally reported.

It looks like there is a scheduling conflict that involves Geneva finding a week 3 game, according to local media.

If Geneva cannot find a week 3 opponent, it seems this game would fall through. That must mean that the Cuyahoga Heights rivalry is still on.
Do you have a link to the local media? I'm not sure I understand why Geneva-Kirtland week 3 would impact Cuyahoga Heights/Kirtland/Oil City week 4. Although, if Geneva needs a week 3 opponent I believe Riverside is still open. I am not sure how they would feel about all-CVC OOC (Perry, Kirtland, Geneva). I like variety OOC, but Geneva is a great local rivalry.

Do you have a link to the local media? I'm not sure I understand why Geneva-Kirtland week 3 would impact Cuyahoga Heights/Kirtland/Oil City week 4. Although, if Geneva needs a week 3 opponent I believe Riverside is still open. I am not sure how they would feel about all-CVC OOC (Perry, Kirtland, Geneva). I like variety OOC, but Geneva is a great local rivalry.

I don't know the whole situation, but I believe Cuyahoga Heights is looking for games in Weeks 3 and 4, so this would solve the Week 3 game for Cuyahoga Heights, by playing Kirtland.

I don't know the whole situation, but I believe Cuyahoga Heights is looking for games in Weeks 3 and 4, so this would solve the Week 3 game for Cuyahoga Heights, by playing Kirtland.
I believe you’re on it. There’s only two scenarios that can play out at this point.

Scenario 1:
WK 3: Geneva-Kirtland
WK 4: Kirtland-Cuyahoga Heights

Scenario 2:
WK 3: Kirtland-Cuyahoga Heights
WK 4: Kirtland-Oil City

Either way, CH will have a bye week this season as they have the past few seasons. Would be intrigued to see if Geneva elects to have a week 3 bye if they can’t find an opponent.

Oil City would be an interesting game though. I believe they won their district & region in PA last season & they lost in the state playoffs.
Last year Oil City was a 4A school that played up with almost every other 4A school to avoid Cathedral Prep. This year they're back to 4A because under the new success factor, Cathedral Prep is now 5A. So the other schools aren't playing up any more.

They're a good solid team. Not flashy. Hard working industrial town whose heyday is long behind them. But as others have said. They hosted CCC and are gracious hosts.

For dining, it's been a while since I've been in Oil City proper. There's a few local pizza places that I remember were good. Also, the high school is oddly located on top of a hill and isn't the most direct way of getting to the school from the center of town. Arrive early to make sure you didn't get lost. Should be plenty of parking for the game.

There's three schools in and around Oil City that don't play football. Venango Catholic in OC, Rocky Grove near Franklin and Cranberry south of OC. Cranberry has a co-op with Oil City for football. They do get a lot of fans for games from these other schools as well. And since this game will have some intrigue it's going to get neutral fans to come out

Canton Central Catholic is open weeks four and seven currently. The St. Thomas Aquinas game was moved to week eight.

Are there any Ohio teams left willing to play Elder? Elder has open weeks in week 2, 3, and 9.

Week 1 Aug 28 at Gahanna Lincoln away?
Week 2 Sep. 4 Open
Week 3 Sep. 11 Open
Week 4 Sep. 18 at Ryle away
Week 5 Sep. 26 St. Ed's home
Week 6 Oct. 2 St. Xavier home
Week 7 Oct. 9 Moeller at UC(away)
Week 8 Oct. 16 Life Christian Academy(VA) home
Week 9 Oct. 23 Open
Week 10 Oct 30 Lasalle home

Status
Not open for further replies.