Region 5 Final- Hoban vs. Hudson

clarkgriswold

The two top teams in Summit County face off this week in the Region 5 final. Hoban has coasted through the playoffs while Hudson comes off of an impressive win against Harding and wins against Painesville Riverside and Bedford.

Tough hill to climb, but not impossible for Hudson... but also not probable.

they have a great team this year. Hoping Hudson can pull off the huge upset.
Hoban hitting their usual October stride, not giving up a point in the playoffs yet. Hudson's offense will provide their biggest challenge of the season so far, but Hudson's D will have to figure out a way to get enough stops to have a look. While this might be one of the two most talented teams Tyrrell's had, they are easily the most undisciplined, and have had issues with penalties, including last night. Hudson is a team that might be able to make them pay for it if they don't clean it up.

Last edited:
At this point of the season, is this the best Hoban team ever? Seems the D has to be. 2018 state champ group was super impressive and played a tough schedule, but the 2020 team has thus far:

1. Hammered St Ed 35-0 (St Ed beat Mentor, Iggy and Massillon this year).
2. Outscored their 3 playoff opponents 142-0

I agree with several posters. Hudson will be the best offense they have faced. I would also add that Hudson will be very disciplined and take advantage of anything Hoban gives them be it turnovers/penalties. Hudson is also very well coached. I am also concerned with Hoban's kicking game. Inconsistent. Appears kicker has plenty of leg but timing, holding, snap have been issues - appears primarily due to injury and getting the 3 guys involved in a PAT/FG must be smooth. Punt game and coverage sound. Kickoffs can get into the end zone at times so all good there. I expect a great game Friday. weather sounds great. "let's get it on"

It goes without saying that Hudson needs to be flawless in order to be competitive in the 4th quarter.

-The offense can't turn the ball over
-The defense needs to make a few stops on 3rd down
-They can't have any back-breaking holding penalties by the offensive line

This is probably the best Hoban team yet. I don't see a reasonable way for Hudson to win. You are talking about a group of kids from a district that doesn't allow open enrollment--so these are all Hudson kids. This would be a massive upset.

It goes without saying that Hudson needs to be flawless in order to be competitive in the 4th quarter.

-The offense can't turn the ball over
-The defense needs to make a few stops on 3rd down
-They can't have any back-breaking holding penalties by the offensive line

This is probably the best Hoban team yet. I don't see a reasonable way for Hudson to win. You are talking about a group of kids from a district that doesn't allow open enrollment--so these are all Hudson kids. This would be a massive upset.

It's a good thing you weren't leading Patton's 3rd Army across Europe. At least you stopped short of 44236, which made all the Hudson moms feel better in '14. They're deep, competitive, and relatively healthy. They'll hang around.

Last edited:
Until they win it on the field convincingly they cannot be the best Hoban Team ever. 2016 won 30-0 running clock on Trotwood, 2017 scored 42 first half points against WW and 2018 only went 15-0. 2020 defense may be close to being best ever but offense is not close to 2015-18 teams. Kicking game is not even in discussion.

I thought the same after watching Hoban dismantle Ed's week 1, but have underperformed since then with exception of last week. Hoban by 2-3 scores.

Until they win it on the field convincingly they cannot be the best Hoban Team ever. 2016 won 30-0 running clock on Trotwood, 2017 scored 42 first half points against WW and 2018 only went 15-0. 2020 defense may be close to being best ever but offense is not close to 2015-18 teams. Kicking game is not even in discussion.

I thought the same after watching Hoban dismantle Ed's week 1, but have underperformed since then with exception of last week. Hoban by 2-3 scores.
Completely agree. This defense is loaded and has a chance to be on the level with 2016 & 2017, but the offense, while they have explosive capabilities and have shown that at times, has been too inconsistent and a bit sloppy so far. The 2016-2018 offenses felt like they were gonna score every time they had the ball, and rarely, if ever, turned it over. And like you said, the kicking game was elite in 15-16, and very good in 17-18.

Hudson is solid, just like Avon was in Avon was in 2017 and 2018. Fundamentally sound and well coached. However, Hoban is an all-star team.

When I don't have a specific connection to a team, I root for the underdog and I'll be doing that Friday, but I just don't see the upset here. Hoban 28, Hudson- 14.

It's a good thing you weren't leading Patton's 3rd Army across Europe. At least you stopped short of 44236, which made all the Hudson moms feel better in '14. They're deep, competitive, and relatively healthy. They'll hang around.

Hey, I want Hudson to win. I used to live there and I still have family in the area. Hudson is obviously very good. I have been high on this group since I saw them week 1 at Solon 2 years ago. I love the tempo they play with, I am a big fan of the QB, and the OL is excellent. I wish them nothing but the best.

I'll take Hudson. They have a big, tough line that can match Hoban's. They will be able to control the line of scrimmage and move the ball down teh field and keep it out of Hoban's hands. On defense, they will bring the pressure and keep the backs bottled up in the backfield like they did against Harding. I know Hoban is better, but Hudson beat up on a pretty good Harding team. I'd like to see a little wrinkle in the offense, but with their line, they don't need one. I don't think Shane Hamm is all that good, and Hudson will be able to keep him bottled up. I know Hoban looked good against St, Ed's and the playoff teams, but other than trouncing St. Ed's, their wins are not that impressive. They struggled against Benedictine the first time, and the rest of their playoff wins are agianst weak opponents because they are the one seed. I know they beat St. Ed's 35 - 0, but Ed's is not that great. They got manhandled by Medina. I was not all that impressed with Hudson when they beat Riverside, but after watching the game against Harding, I'm a believer. Well, we'll see. I'd like nothing more than to see Hudson dominate this game.

Hudson is solid, just like Avon was in Avon was in 2017 and 2018. Fundamentally sound and well coached. However, Hoban is an all-star team.

When I don't have a specific connection to a team, I root for the underdog and I'll be doing that Friday, but I just don't see the upset here. Hoban 28, Hudson- 14.

All Star Team indeed.

Where does Hoban keep the steamroller parked during the week?
Unless the steamroller turns up missing on Friday night right before the game, I expect the Knights to continue to roll everyone in their path.
Prediction:
Archbishop Hoban 28 Hudson 6