Region 5 Final- Hoban vs. Hudson

Yes. But I don’t think anyone will be in awe. Mayfield certainly wasn’t a year ago. “South” has seen them and “Lake” stifled Toledo Central High School.

48 minutes Explorers!

Yes. But I don’t think anyone will be in awe. Mayfield certainly wasn’t a year ago. “South” has seen them and “Lake” stifled Toledo Central High School.

48 minutes Explorers!
That Mayfield game last year wasn't a true representation of that Hoban team, they were riddled with injuries to a lot of their best players and were really patching it together. Not to discredit Mayfield, it's part of the game. It's one of the reasons they were looking forward to playing Mayfield a couple weeks ago, and we saw how that went. They didn't even cross midfield. A lot of high flying offenses have run up against Hoban's D in the playoffs in recent years - Barberton, Brush, Winton Woods, Avon, Maple Heights - and found the sledding very tough. It's one thing to watch them on film, but another to really be able to execute consistently against their physicality and speed once it's actually in front of you. Not that Hudson can't, and they remind me most of the 2017 Avon team that really had a chance to push Hoban, but missed some golden opportunities in the first half of that state semi. That Avon team is really well coached, had a terrific versatile QB, big and talented oline and really good skill guys. The final score was a bit deceiving, and the Hoban run game really leaned on them in the second half and put it away. Hudson needs to take advantage of every opportunity that they're presented with, and try to play from in front early. If you fall behind a couple scores, that's when Hoban will just try and hammer away with the run game, and it's tough not to get worn down, especially when I think defensive stops are going to be challenging for Hudson as it is. This is a playoff matchup I've personally wanted to see for a while, glad it finally worked out.

Last edited:
That Mayfield game last year wasn't a true representation of that Hoban team, they were riddled with injuries to a lot of their best players and were really patching it together. Not to discredit Mayfield, it's part of the game. It's one of the reasons they were looking forward to playing Mayfield a couple weeks ago, and we saw how that went. They didn't even cross midfield. A lot of high flying offenses have run up against Hoban's D in the playoffs in recent years - Barberton, Brush, Winton Woods, Avon, Maple Heights - and found the sledding very tough. It's one thing to watch them on film, but another to really be able to execute consistently against their physicality and speed once it's actually in front of you. Not that Hudson can't, and they remind me most of the 2017 Avon team that really had a chance to push Hoban, but missed some golden opportunities in the first half of that state semi. That Avon team is really well coached, had a terrific versatile QB, big and talented oline and really good skill guys. The final score was a bit deceiving, and the Hoban run game really leaned own them in the second half and put it away. Hudson needs to take advantage of every opportunity that they're presented with, and try to play from in front early. If you fall behind a couple scores, that's when Hoban will just try and hammer away with the run game, and it's tough not to get worn down, especially when I think defensive stops are going to be challenging for Hudson as it is. This is a playoff matchup I've personally wanted to see for a while, glad it finally worked out.

Not to discredit Hoban, but they did not play a 2019 Mayfield team. You know, the one they beat on a 4th and long with under a minute to play. It was more of the 2017/2018 Mayfield teams they beat.

Not to discredit Hoban, but they did not play a 2019 Mayfield team. You know, the one they beat on a 4th and long with under a minute to play. It was more of the 2017/2018 Mayfield teams they beat.
Completely true, my point was just that 2019 game made it easier to get the kids locked in for the recent game. Same thing with Benny last week, they hated how sloppy and uninspired their play was against them in the earlier game.

That Mayfield game last year wasn't a true representation of that Hoban team, they were riddled with injuries to a lot of their best players and were really patching it together. Not to discredit Mayfield, it's part of the game. It's one of the reasons they were looking forward to playing Mayfield a couple weeks ago, and we saw how that went. They didn't even cross midfield. A lot of high flying offenses have run up against Hoban's D in the playoffs in recent years - Barberton, Brush, Winton Woods, Avon, Maple Heights - and found the sledding very tough. It's one thing to watch them on film, but another to really be able to execute consistently against their physicality and speed once it's actually in front of you. Not that Hudson can't, and they remind me most of the 2017 Avon team that really had a chance to push Hoban, but missed some golden opportunities in the first half of that state semi. That Avon team is really well coached, had a terrific versatile QB, big and talented oline and really good skill guys. The final score was a bit deceiving, and the Hoban run game really leaned on them in the second half and put it away. Hudson needs to take advantage of every opportunity that they're presented with, and try to play from in front early. If you fall behind a couple scores, that's when Hoban will just try and hammer away with the run game, and it's tough not to get worn down, especially when I think defensive stops are going to be challenging for Hudson as it is. This is a playoff matchup I've personally wanted to see for a while, glad it finally worked out.
I remember it well. Avon was missing three players who could have made a big difference in that game, including a TE Vlasi Pappas who was a nightmare match up for opposing D's. He went out with an injury in Week 2 that year, but they sure could have used him and the LB's Waters and Kudla who were out for that game. The point is...you need everything you've got to beat Hoban, so hopefully for Hudson they are at full health.

I agree with your recall of the game and it illustrates the point that you have to cash in any chance you get to dent the Hoban D and get them playing from behind. Avon moved it up and down the field in the first half and did not cash in all their chances and Hoban was able to regroup at the half and play their game in the second half.

Finally, it's not just that Hoban can out-man teams, they also have an excellent coaching staff. Avon had two D1 college OT's (Purdue and Toledo) starting that night and another D1 college OT (Ball State) rotating in. Hoban could not generate their usual pass rush from the edge in the first half, so in the second half they adjusted their pass rush scheme to blitzes up the middle and that harassed Avon's QB most of the second half and really cut down the passing game. On offense, to start the second half Hoban started to overload the side of the line over Avon's best DE (now at Air Force) and running Trayanum behind it instead of the other RB. It took Avon two drives to adjust and by then the damage was done and the game was all but over. So Hoban is not just all about recruiting (a usual go-to mention by outsiders in any Hoban thread). They can also coach 'em up.

Last edited:
Exciting for Hudson to have this opportunity Friday night against a very impressive Hoban team.

Really enjoyed watching this group.

Let it rip Explorers!

Last edited:
ABJ previews from both teams' perspectives.

It’s nice to see Hudson get some media hype. Seems like they don’t get very much press from the local reporters. I don’t even remember seeing anything about them when the team previews came out in August. (It’s very possible that I just missed it though)

No doubt Hudson is a great team but Hoban is just such a buzzsaw. Its not just that their top players are usually so good but they typically have depth that most teams just cannot match.
2017 Barberton had a generational team that would have been able to beat any other DII team in the state. They ran into Hoban in the regional final and Hoban just dominated. They have so much depth up front that they just wear teams down.

I would love to see the upset but I think so many things have to go right for Hudson as well as them playing a perfect game. An upset is not likely, but defiantly possible.

No doubt Hudson is a great team but Hoban is just such a buzzsaw. Its not just that their top players are usually so good but they typically have depth that most teams just cannot match.
2017 Barberton had a generational team that would have been able to beat any other DII team in the state. They ran into Hoban in the regional final and Hoban just dominated. They have so much depth up front that they just wear teams down.

I would love to see the upset but I think so many things have to go right for Hudson as well as them playing a perfect game. An upset is not likely, but defiantly possible.
Disagree with that, but not with your overall point.

Disagree with that, but not with your overall point.
I assume your talking Avon. I think Barberton/Avon 2017 could have been highly entertaining. Same with Winton Woods. Barberton handled playoff team they faced that year(minus Hoban) pretty handily. Not saying Barberton for sure wins state that year if it wasn't for Hoban but I think Barberton could have held their own and played well against any other team in DII that year.

I assume your talking Avon. I think Barberton/Avon 2017 could have been highly entertaining. Same with Winton Woods. Barberton handled playoff team they faced that year(minus Hoban) pretty handily. Not saying Barberton for sure wins state that year if it wasn't for Hoban but I think Barberton could have held their own and played well against any other team in DII that year.
Very likely.

Very likely.
Back to the topic, I have not gotten to see Hudson play this year but they seem like a very talented and well-coached group. There are so many games that will be great to watch tonight between Mass v Perry and Chardon v Canfield but I feel like this is the cant miss game.

Back to the topic, I have not gotten to see Hudson play this year but they seem like a very talented and well-coached group. There are so many games that will be great to watch tonight between Mass v Perry and Chardon v Canfield but I feel like this is the cant miss game.
I looked at Hudson a little more today, and they have quite a lot of physically impressive, athletic dudes on that team. Very mature group, I'm impressed. They run a type of offense that Hoban just doesn't see, so it would behoove them to get off to a fast start while Hoban's D is trying to get a feel for that tempo & scheme.

Hoban fans have to be thrilled with the officiating in that first half. Hudson has a pretty clear TD called off on 4th down at the end of the half after 2 prior runs from the 1 that were 50-50. Just a massive blunder by the officials at the end that even the announcer on TV was upset about.

14-14 at halftime

Last edited:
Hard to tell. Looked like he got in on 2nd effort (pushed by line) but not sure when they blew the whistle. Thought Hudson play calling and Execution was great in first half but probably should have thrown it once down there. Three straight runs up the middle and nothing on any of them. Not sure Hudson could have hung on in 2nd half anyway though as Hoban is a load. But that pretty much sealed the deal.

heads up Hudson. Great effort.

Lamar Sperling with 3 TDs runs for Hoban tonight. Remember watching him play in middle school...:whistle:

Hoban fans have to be thrilled with the officiating in that first half. Hudson has a pretty clear TD called off on 4th down at the end of the half after 2 prior runs from the 1 that were 50-50. Just a massive blunder by the officials at the end that even the announcer on TV was upset about.

14-14 at halftime
Nobody could possibly see from that broadcast if he was in or not, it's not like they have goal line cam. I lost sight of him, I have no clue if he scored or not.

Great effort from Hudson, they are really good and that offense had Hoban on their heels in the 1st half. They got more comfortable defending it in the 2nd half, and kept the ball away from Hudson as their run game just took over. Hoban's penalties are brutal, though. So many holding calls, and it's been like that all season. It's going to burn them at some point.

31-14 Hoban

Very good game. Hoban OL wore Hudson down in the 2nd half. Hudson's offense had a ton of success moving the ball, they just had 3 drives stall out deep in Hoban territory. The difference in the game was really the Hoban OL vs the undersized Hudson DL--as was to be expected.

Very good season or Hudson. They had a great team. They lost a tough contest.

Nobody could possibly see from that broadcast if he was in or not, it's not like they have goal line cam. I lost sight of him, I have no clue if he scored or not.

Great effort from Hudson, they are really good and that offense had Hoban on their heels in the 1st half. They got more comfortable defending it in the 2nd half, and kept the ball away from Hudson as their run game just took over. Hoban's penalties are brutal, though. So many holding calls, and it's been like that all season. It's going to burn them at some point.

The announcer was pretty sure it was a TD. The 2 previous runs looked to be extremely close as well.

I agree about Hoban's defense in the 2nd half. Hudson moved the ball well in the 2nd half against Hoban, but they couldn't finish drives off. Of course they didn't have many drives in that 2nd half as Hoban kept the ball for a great chunk of time.

The announcer was pretty sure it was a TD. The 2 previous runs looked to be extremely close as well.

I agree about Hoban's defense in the 2nd half. Hudson moved the ball well in the 2nd half against Hoban, but they couldn't finish drives off. Of course they didn't have many drives in that 2nd half as Hoban kept the ball for a great chunk of time.
That announcer had the same view we did at home. He also had no idea the rules of high school football, but he was pretty good overall.

Congrats to Hoban on a great performance. Huge s/o to Hudson on a great season! Extremely tough program!

Lamar Sperling with 3 TDs runs for Hoban tonight. Remember watching him play in middle school...:whistle:
Lamar Sperling was the difference. Great vision and burst. Without him that’s a different game. Hudson D did what I thought they needed to do. O didn’t finish. Credit to Hoban. Good luck.

Lamar Sperling was the difference. Great vision and burst. Without him that’s a different game. Hudson D did what I thought they needed to do. O didn’t finish. Credit to Hoban. Good luck.
Agree with a lot of what you say, but I think you missed on this one. Sperling was great but Hoban ballcarriers not named Sperling ran for 200 yards as well. Once Hoban stopped trying to throw and just decided to pound the ball on the ground in the 2nd half the game was over. Hudson D fought hard and held up as well as could be expected considering the size differential.

Agree with a lot of what you say, but I think you missed on this one. Sperling was great but Hoban ballcarriers not named Sperling ran for 200 yards as well. Once Hoban stopped trying to throw and just decided to pound the ball on the ground in the 2nd half the game was over. Hudson D fought hard and held up as well as could be expected considering the size differential.

I thought Hudson D did exactly what they needed to do, make Hoban work for their scores. Sperling was the best player on the field and apart from Paltani it wasn't close. I would have given up 200 yards rushing to the #1 back and the Qb all day and twice on Sunday. Sperling broke are backs, he's very good. I'm not sure if that came through on the TV. It was obvious if you were there. I came in thinking the O needed to score 28 and if the D could do exactly what they did Hudson would be right there. We scored 14, not enough. Good luck Hoban