Region 4 Semi-Finals: Elder(10-2) vs. Lakota West(12-0)

For those commenting on strength of schedule, I think a better barometer is how the teams have faired in close games. Are they battle tested in that regard?

West has made deep playoff runs the past 3 seasons (that's including this season). They've played a tough Week 1 opponent in St X each year and had at least one GMC game that's made them nervous, Fairfield this year. They know how to win this time of year. They're the more experienced team.

Elder has made the playoffs the past couple seasons and played in tough, tight games throughout this season, but they haven't been in this type of game really since the State Runner-up team. We'll see how they react and play in the moment. I don't think it'll be too big for them or anything like that, but certainly their inexperience favors West.
Here goes the Elder is the Little Engine that Could! If Elder not battle tested I don’t know who is!

Here goes the Elder is the Little Engine that Could! If Elder not battle tested I don’t know who is!
Not even remotely the point I was trying to make, but par for the course with you.

There were many people earlier in the thread saying Elder's tough schedule has prepared them for a tough, physical, grind it out type of game like this one is expected to be. But Lakota West has had plenty of games like that, plus they've made two straight Regional Finals. Their QB is a 4-year starter who had his first career playoff start against Elder at the Pit in 2019. Those thinking the game will be won by Elder because their schedule is/was tougher are kidding themselves.

For some reason a lot of Elder fans still do not buy into this team. Some common things you hear are line is too small, secondary is too slow/not athletic, no playmakers at WR, new QB. In reality, the offensive line is good and has really developed well this season. The LT is a D1 recruit, and the LG is a 3 year starter, the center is a 2 year starter who gets the snaps back perfectly every time, the RG is a junior doingn well, and the RT stepped in due to injury to Senior starter but has done nothing but get better. The secondary has been tested all year but continue to play well and they are not slow kids contrary to what you hear on yappi. Re has developed into a true #1 WR and has elite speed, just look at his track times(10.6 100m is his personal best). Autenrieb is very quick and can get open and get yards after the catch, the 6'8" basketball star is a threat on any jump ball. The RB Flowers is a captain, good athlete, and very fast. The 6'4" QB Schoster might be a future college baseball player, but right now he has a great arm and is very accurate. Keep on underestimating this team. The strength is the front 7.

Lakota West is very good too and very well may beat Elder Friday night. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking this Elder team is not that good.

I understand "strength of schedule", but thats all that is. West doesn't control their schedule after week 1. And they play St X who is one of the best teams in the state year in and year out, this year being an exception. To minimize what West has accomplished this year is short sighted at best. They've handled their business and dominated as a good team should week in and week out. I seriously doubt Elder would've done much better. This will be a tough test for both teams, but I believe Elder posters are seriously underestimating West. West-31 Elder-17.

I understand "strength of schedule", but thats all that is. West doesn't control their schedule after week 1. And they play St X who is one of the best teams in the state year in and year out, this year being an exception. To minimize what West has accomplished this year is short sighted at best. They've handled their business and dominated as a good team should week in and week out. I seriously doubt Elder would've done much better. This will be a tough test for both teams, but I believe Elder posters are seriously underestimating West. West-31 Elder-17.
Listen Moeller, Eds, and X are good teams but to sit here and act like Mason, Princeton, and Fairfield don’t beat half their schedule this year is foolish. This Strength of Schedule argument is a little out of control, if anything I would look at the last game and I think blanking Princeton 35-0 in the playoffs is a more valuable win then 31-6 against Milford.

The teams you’ve played won’t win you that game Friday.

I'm not saying Elder will beat LW but in my mind Elder would be undefeated in the GMC this year.

Listen Moeller, Eds, and X are good teams but to sit here and act like Mason, Princeton, and Fairfield don’t beat half their schedule this year is foolish. This Strength of Schedule argument is a little out of control, if anything I would look at the last game and I think blanking Princeton 35-0 in the playoffs is a more valuable win then 31-6 against Milford.

Correct. However when you play better compilation from week to week it helps players with adversity, adjustments, discipline. I do believe West is the better team this year. Elder will be the toughest opponent West has faced this year until or if they play Moeller.

Correct. However when you play better compilation from week to week it helps players with adversity, adjustments, discipline. I do believe West is the better team this year. Elder will be the toughest opponent West has faced this year until or if they play Moeller.
Sorry, ment competition

I'm not saying Elder will beat LW but in my mind Elder would be undefeated in the GMC this year.
I’d have to disagree, they would beat the bottom 5 easily but they would lose 1 at least and possibly 2 to the top 4.

I also think that Elder is a slightly more athletic and better coached Mason.

I’d have to disagree, they would beat the bottom 5 easily but they would lose 1 at least and possibly 2 to the top 4.

I also think that Elder is a slightly more athletic and better coached Mason.
Elder and Moeller would have run the table other than LW. They’d be a toss up with elder and loss to Moe

Last edited:

I think anyone looking at scores and determining one win is more valuable based on that and the prior opponent doesn't understand that teams have different styles. Is it fair to say that West scores more on long sustained drives or big plays? I haven't seen them play, so I don't know which is why I'm asking.

Elder plays keep-away. Their offense will hold onto the ball and limit possessions. That's the way they play. Their opening drive against Milford was 8.5 minutes long. They try to wear down the defense by running a lot of plays and being physical in the box. So you might say 31-6 (really 31-0 with the 1s) isn't as impressive as 35-0 over Princeton, but Elder was never going to run away with that game scoring 40-50+ points. That's just not their style this year.

Last edited:
Tip of the cap to West. They were the better team in all three facets of the game. Was extremely surprised at how well and how easy they moved the ball up and down the field. Elder's offense was extremely conservative in the 1st half and even then should have gone to halftime at worst 6-3. The fumble and subsequent TD drive right before halftime was an absolute killer for the Panthers.

West will give Moeller all they can handle next week. Should be a really good, really fun game.

Elder 17 LW 13. Elder front 7 is outstanding imo! Think strength of Schedule in a tight, physical Game will definitely benefit Elder.
Lol! When are you ever gonna get one of these things right? Seems like an endorsement from you equates to a guaranteed loss..

Congratulations to Lakota West. They were the better team. I really thought this was going to be close throughout and Elder would pull out a close win. Lakota West was better up front than I was expecting. I think that was the difference. Elder WRs couldn't get open all game, but I think that was about what everyone was expecting. I was just expecting a better game. Lakota West defense is playing great right now.

I think they may pull off the "upset" against Moeller.