Region 1 Final: Mentor (8-1) vs Medina (6-3)

cardzfan1234

In a rematch of Week 1, Mentor and Medina will meet on Friday for the Region 1 championship. Back in Week 1, Mentor won the game 37-19. The game was just 22-19 at the half before Medina QB Drew Allar went down with an injury, killing Medina's chances to knock off the defending Region 1 champions. For a half, these teams were very even.

This matchup is going to be highlighted by the two QB's. Mentor's Ian Kipp has an impressive resume. He is a three-year starter, a 5-2 record against Ignatius/Eds, and and 8-2 playoff record. Kipp was the DI Offensive POY in 2019. In his three years running the offense, his arm and legs have guided Mentor to an impressive run. Kipp has offers that include MAC schools like Bowling Green, Akron, and Kent. Medina's Allar (6'5, 210) is the more coveted college recruit, the #24 QB recruit in the country in the class of 2022. Allar has turned it up a notch this postseason in guiding the team to back-to-back wins over St Eds and St Ignatius. Allar was especially huge in the win over the Cats, throwing for 488 yards and 4 TD's.

In a game where it seems like the better QB could be the biggest difference between winning and losing, this will be an interesting showdown. At this point, it is difficult to say Kipp is the better player. Allar has the hot hand. Kipp, four turnovers in the past two playoff games, hasn't quite reached the heights expected out of the returning DI POY.

Medina receiver Luke Hensley is a beast. As a three year starter, he reminds me of some of the great Mentor receivers that made talented QB's look even better. The Bees showed their ability to run the ball in their surprising upset of St Eds. Yesterday's win over St Ignatius was all about the long ball. Medina is a balanced and dangerous offense. Mentor's playmakers are steady, but nowhere near the game-changing talent as Hensley.

Mentor will need to be a two-dimensional offense to win this game. A week after a 300-yard rushing effort against Stow, Mentor mostly abandoned the run to take advantage of Brunswick stacking the box. It paid off with a lot of open receivers. Medina's defense was their downfall in the past, but they are looking improved compared to last season. Both defenses have a lot to prove in this game.

It is cliche, but turnovers and QB play are going to be the two biggest indicators of a win. Earlier this season, Medina lost a game to an overmatched Brunswick team thanks to four Allar picks. Kipp, who threw just two INT's in an extended playoff run last season, has already thrown for 6 INT's in a shortened season. Both QB's can get a little careless. They will need to balance being aggressive with being smart. The best QB play will have a big advantage, and that includes managing turnovers. Mentor had four turnovers in their game yesterday against Brunswick.

Game is a tossup. I think Mentor is better than Medina when both teams are at their best. The problem is Mentor hasn't played at their best for a complete game most of the season

A first half like this past week vs Brunswick will lead to a loss starting this week. They have to up their game to win

Great assessment of this matchup which has the capability to be a classic. Medina trying to change the narrative. As you pointed out the downfall for either team would be turnovers. Medina had no turnovers in their victories over the two Saints. If the Bees can continue that trend they have a chance to knock off the current GCC king. Mentor on the other hand cleans up the turnover situation and does not give Medina extra opportunities, the Cards could hold off the upstarts.
Can't wait to see how this works out.

As pointed out in the Region 1 thread, Medina is the 7th team to beat Ignatius/Eds in the playoffs since 2000. None of those teams won the state title. Either the week that followed or the following, the mojo runs out. Whether it is emotional, mental, or physical - the letdown creeped its way in. It has happened to Mentor a few times. Will this be the week for a Medina letdown following those program-defining wins? Or will this momentum ride them all the way to a state final appearance?

Last edited:
Two public schools in the Region 1 Final.

Good for area HS football.

I see Kipp controlling this game with his legs.

Mentor 31
Medina 28

For Medina, it's definitely a fitting opponent to match up with for a shot at the state tournament since it is what has been the top dog in the NOC/GCC since the two have been in the same league. And while Medina has done what many (most) thought was impossible in beating Ed's and Iggy in back to back weeks, Mentor is the one school that can look at it and say, "I'm not impressed," especially since they most recently did it last year.

These teams are almost mirror images in a lot of ways so I'm with Cardz in that turnovers will likely decide it. If both play up to what they are capable, then EF's running joke prediction, may be pretty much spot on, except maybe 45-44 (3OT) would be more like it.

Though one part of the game where Mentor has a real advantage is in kicking. They have a kicker that probably puts the ball in the end zone every time. Medina doesn't have that. While Medina's kicker has the leg to make it from 40-plus, Mentor's kicker has proven he can make those (ala the first game where his 47 yarder was essentially the difference in the half where both teams had their D1 QBs).

Last edited:
I’ll take Medina by a TD, they are peaking at the right time and are an offensive juggernaut when things are clicking for them as they have been throughout the playoffs. Mentor may have the better team when they’re playing their best ball but it seems they have not been firing on all cylinders consistently the last couple weeks, due to that I think Medina, unbelievably, finds themselves in the state semis

Good luck to both teams. Hope its an injury-free game and that whoever wins they represent Region 1 well the rest of the way!

Good luck to both teams. Hope its an injury-free game and that whoever wins they represent Region 1 well the rest of the way!

It does sound weird saying Medina potentially repping R1, until you look that it would be Ed's/Iggy/Mentor just to get out of the region.

Then Mentor, with a win, would hardly be a surprise

R1 winner will, as usual, give whoever a game.

Great QB matchup. Really looking forward to this game. As big as Medina's past two wins are, this is probably the programming defining moment for Medina. Mentor has simply owned the Bees in conference play dating back to the NOC days.

Does the winner of this game play the winner of Region 2, or is it possible the winner will play R3 winner (Pick Central aka we have to win 2 real games at most Central to win States)?

In a rematch of Week 1, Mentor and Medina will meet on Friday for the Region 1 championship. Back in Week 1, Mentor won the game 37-19. The game was just 22-19 at the half before Medina QB Drew Allar went down with an injury, killing Medina's chances to knock off the defending Region 1 champions. For a half, these teams were very even.

This matchup is going to be highlighted by the two QB's. Mentor's Ian Kipp has an impressive resume. He is a three-year starter, a 5-2 record against Ignatius/Eds, and and 8-2 playoff record. Kipp was the DI Offensive POY in 2019. In his three years running the offense, his arm and legs have guided Mentor to an impressive run. Kipp has offers that include MAC schools like Bowling Green, Akron, and Kent. Medina's Allar (6'5, 210) is the more coveted college recruit, the #24 QB recruit in the country in the class of 2022. Allar has turned it up a notch this postseason in guiding the team to back-to-back wins over St Eds and St Ignatius. Allar was especially huge in the win over the Cats, throwing for 488 yards and 4 TD's.

In a game where it seems like the better QB could be the biggest difference between winning and losing, this will be an interesting showdown. At this point, it is difficult to say Kipp is the better player. Allar has the hot hand. Kipp, four turnovers in the past two playoff games, hasn't quite reached the heights expected out of the returning DI POY.

Medina receiver Luke Hensley is a beast. As a three year starter, he reminds me of some of the great Mentor receivers that made talented QB's look even better. The Bees showed their ability to run the ball in their surprising upset of St Eds. Yesterday's win over St Ignatius was all about the long ball. Medina is a balanced and dangerous offense. Mentor's playmakers are steady, but nowhere near the game-changing talent as Hensley.

Mentor will need to be a two-dimensional offense to win this game. A week after a 300-yard rushing effort against Stow, Mentor mostly abandoned the run to take advantage of Brunswick stacking the box. It paid off with a lot of open receivers. Medina's defense was their downfall in the past, but they are looking improved compared to last season. Both defenses have a lot to prove in this game.

It is cliche, but turnovers and QB play are going to be the two biggest indicators of a win. Earlier this season, Medina lost a game to an overmatched Brunswick team thanks to four Allar picks. Kipp, who threw just two INT's in an extended playoff run last season, has already thrown for 6 INT's in a shortened season. Both QB's can get a little careless. They will need to balance being aggressive with being smart. The best QB play will have a big advantage, and that includes managing turnovers. Mentor had four turnovers in their game yesterday against Brunswick.
Who does the winner of this game want to face?

Westerville Central...because that means PC lost. ?
Springfield is probably the weakest of the D1 Final 8. Unfortunately, they probably would play R4 if they won. It would be ideal for Mentor and Medina if that winner got to play the R2 winner regardless of location, but that probably won't be the case

Springfield is probably the weakest of the D1 Final 8. Unfortunately, they probably would play R4 if they won. It would be ideal for Mentor and Medina if that winner got to play the R2 winner regardless of location, but that probably won't be the case
Yes. If liberty wins though the winner here would face them

For Medina, it's definitely a fitting opponent to match up with for a shot at the state tournament since it is what has been the top dog in the NOC/GCC since the two have been in the same league. And while Medina has done what many (most) thought was impossible in beating Ed's and Iggy in back to back weeks, Mentor is the one school that can look at it and say, "I'm not impressed," especially since they most recently did it last year.

These teams are almost mirror images in a lot of ways so I'm with Cardz in that turnovers will likely decide it. If both play up to what they are capable, then EF's running joke prediction, may be pretty much spot on, except maybe 45-44 (3OT) would be more like it.

Though one part of the game where Mentor has a real advantage is in kicking. They have a kicker that probably puts the ball in the end zone every time. Medina doesn't have that. While Medina's kicker has the leg to make it from 40-plus, Mentor's kicker has proven he can make those (ala the first game where his 47 yarder was essentially the difference in the half where both teams had their D1 QBs).
I'm going with: what I usually believe wins games. Who wins the trenches. Can Medina stop Mentors run game (RB+QB)? Can Medina's pash rush make Kipp uncomfortable? Can Mentors DL make Allar uncomfortable with a lot of pressure and stop Medinas run game (RB+QB). The team that wins the trenches and makes life for the QB and stops the run will win. If not, we have a shootout at the OK Corral and let the man running the scoreboard just keep punching in the TD's. If all of previous things are even, then clearly now it comes down to special teams including XP, FG, kickoff/punt return game, and TURNOVERS!

Medina 35
Mentor 28

Medina is a different team than week one: found a running game (option at least), Allar is best QB in the state regardless of grade/class and Hensley has been a beast.

Medina 35
Mentor 28

Medina is a different team than week one: found a running game (option at least), Allar is best QB in the state regardless of grade/class and Hensley has been a beast.
Have to disagree with the Allar part. Very good quarterback, but not top in state.

I think the playoff schedule worked to Mentor's disadvantage. Sure, it got them to the final game in the region, but Medina's road through Ed's and Ignatius has them really ready for the final. Mentor really hasn't been challenged since their game with Eds. The travel time for Medina and the home field for Mentor will be an advantage, but I still see Medina winning this game by a TD.

Ok forget all that. I'm really picking Medina by 7 because Brian picked Mentor by 7.

Last edited:
For Mentor to be right there with the state's best, I felt Kipp had to be the best player in Ohio. A year after winning DI Offensive POY honors, that was certainly a possibility. Simply put, Kipp has hardly been the state's best player. The season has been a strange one. Kipp hasn't been asked to do much with his legs for a variety of reasons: coming off an injury in August, regular season games are less important, shorter season, a less demanding schedule, etc. His throwing has been inconsistent. He is committing more turnovers. And he hasn't been able to utilize the best offensive play for Mentor over the past three seasons: the QB draw with Kipp between the tackles. It has been their bread and butter time and time again in big games and in big moments against St Edward, St Ignatius, Pickerington Central, etc. That play has been removed from the arsenal for the most part.

Mentor has needed Kipp to run to win one game all season - and that was St Eds way back in Week 2. For most of the rest of the season, Mentor has been able to mostly rely on the rest of their talent to win. I agree with sehs73 that Mentor's path to this point has been a disadvantage competitively. They haven't needed their A game since Week 2. Do they have it in them?

For Mentor to be right there with the state's best, I felt Kipp had to be the best player in Ohio. A year after winning DI Offensive POY honors, that was certainly a possibility. Simply put, Kipp has hardly been the state's best player. The season has been a strange one. Kipp hasn't been asked to do much with his legs for a variety of reasons: coming off an injury in August, regular season games are less important, shorter season, a less demanding schedule, etc. His throwing has been inconsistent. He is committing more turnovers. And he hasn't been able to utilize the best offensive play for Mentor over the past three seasons: the QB draw with Kipp between the tackles. It has been their bread and butter time and time again in big games and in big moments against St Edward, St Ignatius, Pickerington Central, etc. That play has been removed from the arsenal for the most part.

Mentor has needed Kipp to run to win one game all season - and that was St Eds way back in Week 2. For most of the rest of the season, Mentor has been able to mostly rely on the rest of their talent to win. I agree with sehs73 that Mentor's path to this point has been a disadvantage competitively. They haven't needed their A game since Week 2. Do they have it in them?

We (Eds) have been the victim of that Mentor QB draw for several years. Its a very effective and demoralizing play when its on and Mentor comes away with a 1st down in those 3rd and 9 situations. Even without that play, Mentor is still very dangerous with Kipp passing. He will present a lot of challenges to Medina's D. Medina gave up a lot of passing yards (over 350) to Iggy last week, so Kipp will still have his chances.

I think the playoff schedule worked to Mentor's disadvantage. Sure, it got them to the final game in the region, but Medina's road through Ed's and Ignatius has them really ready for the final. Mentor really hasn't been challenged since their game with Eds. The travel time for Medina and the home field for Mentor will be an advantage, but I still see Medina winning this game by a TD.

Ok forget all that. I'm really picking Medina by 7 because Brian picked Mentor by 7.
I'll disagree with the schedule working to Mentors disadvantage. I'm not sure Mentor advances to the regional final if they had a tougher road with the number of turnovers they committed. They will have to play up to their potential to beat Medina. I expect the Cards to pound the ball with Coughlin and Kipp to try to keep it away from Allar, and mix in the occasional deep ball to keep the Bees honest. I can see this coming down to the final play and this is where I see Mentor's advantage winning out as Andrew Smith kicks a game winning field goal for a 31-28 victory.