Region 1 2019

Cali_Eagle

Did Euclid end up winning tonight? I'm assuming they did. You're right, I forgot the Canisius game was still out there, so if it goes how to expect, Euclid/Jackson is the 3-6 and McKinley/Solon is the 4-5.

I like that better than seeing two rematches. Amazing, actually, how 6 of the 8 are going to be either GCC or Fed (and Mentor/Ed's, Euclid/McKinley and Medina/Cleveland Heights played each other) and yet, there would not be one rematch in the first round. What are the odds of that happening??
Per Joe Eitel's site:

Euclid 32 Shaker Heights 14

SVillegrad

I see Euclid won 32-14 over Shaker. ... Shaker actually isn't that bad, just played a brutal schedule (GCC, plus Benedictine and Cleveland Heights). Actually, see Elyria was only down 17-15 to Solon after three quarters, too (Elyria also gave Strongsville a good game ... was 35-27 late). Those two teams while 2-8 and 1-9, weren't as bad as it appears.

Wildcat97

Or it's more like Mentor and Ed's are head and shoulders above everybody in D1. This isn't a bad field, just the top 2 happen to be the two best teams in D1, by a pretty big margin.
Very fair and accurate. As I am putting my pairings together, and reviewing the field, D1 seems the least open. If it isn't some variation of Mentor/Eds vs X/Colerain/Elder, I will be shocked. And I'll take Mentor/Eds in any of those matchups, having seen Mentor/Eds/X up close this year.

Wildcat97

Yea both of them have been playing insane all season. Do you see either of them getting upset at all or no chance?
Mentor is my favorite right now to send Triv out on a 15-0 season. Had this suspicion before season, and in my opinion, after the 2 big tests to start the year, it has been onward and upward.

EagleFan

Socially Distant, as always
With McK losing, looks like locked in at:

1. Mentor vs 8. Cleveland Heights
2. St. Edward vs 7. Medina
3. Euclid vs. 6. Massillon Jackson
4. McKinley vs. 5. Solon

SVillegrad

Very fair and accurate. As I am putting my pairings together, and reviewing the field, D1 seems the least open. If it isn't some variation of Mentor/Eds vs X/Colerain/Elder, I will be shocked. And I'll take Mentor/Eds in any of those matchups, having seen Mentor/Eds/X up close this year.
It actually shows the strength of R1 when it is missing a top 10 overall team from the field (Iggy definitely is on the short list of teams that could've won the D1 title) and still has 8 quality teams to fill those spots (and 2-3 more that would be playoff caliber if they were in another region). If it was a true top 8, Iggy replaces Cleveland Heights. But Heights, while an unknown because the LEL sucks, still is a 9-1 team (and has shutout of Glenville on its resume and beat Shaker worse than any GCC team did) and Heights has a good QB and a couple big time college recruits.

Mentor will make quick work of them, but there are less than 10 teams that Mentor isn't going to beat running clock.