Refs this season?

I have heard through the grape vine that refs can opt out this season for Covid! Will we even have enough Refs for the season? Thoughts?

ASpecialOne

This is something I personally had not thought of. Especially considering we have/had a shortage to begin with.

Seeing as how it appears whatever season we get will consist primarily of duals, I think even with some of the more seasoned refs opting out there would be enough to cover duals.

My question(s) would be: Will we have enough for the 4 week stretch of the post season? (Girl's State through to OHSAA State).

Will refs who opted out for the regular season be able to return for the post season? (My assumption is that due to numbers they will be needed).

Jim Behrens

First, there is a definite shortage that has nothing to do with the virus. I invite anyone who loves the sport, and thinks they have what it takes, to come out and join the dark side.

Second, as an assignor, I have only had about 5 guys who decided not to work this season. I fully understand as they have to do what is best for themselves and their family. There is NO positive side to taking needless risks. The league I assign for has duals and tri meets scheduled but, other than the league meet, no big tournaments have been scheduled. As I tell all the guys, we have to be flexible and ready to accept scheduling changes. So far I have have no issue filling the slots in the schedule. Guys want to work and be on the mat.

The question in the post above asking if officials who opt out would be able to do post season? That is a call the OHSAA will have to make when the time is right. First we have to start the season and then we have to get to the post season. That is a long time away.

I remain positive but I also know things can change very quickly. Those changes are made far above me and all I can do is deal with them as they occur.

ASpecialOne

First, there is a definite shortage that has nothing to do with the virus. I invite anyone who loves the sport, and thinks they have what it takes, to come out and join the dark side.

Second, as an assignor, I have only had about 5 guys who decided not to work this season. I fully understand as they have to do what is best for themselves and their family. There is NO positive side to taking needless risks. The league I assign for has duals and tri meets scheduled but, other than the league meet, no big tournaments have been scheduled. As I tell all the guys, we have to be flexible and ready to accept scheduling changes. So far I have have no issue filling the slots in the schedule. Guys want to work and be on the mat.

The question in the post above asking if officials who opt out would be able to do post season? That is a call the OHSAA will have to make when the time is right. First we have to start the season and then we have to get to the post season. That is a long time away.

I remain positive but I also know things can change very quickly. Those changes are made far above me and all I can do is deal with them as they occur.
Thank you for your insight - I figured this generally was the case, but seeing as how I dont dawn the stripes I didnt want to openly speculate.

Thanks for all you do

bucksman

As independent contractors referees can always opt to work or not work.

I know that there were some referees across sports that chose not to renew their license for the 2020-21 school year. However, I think that was more an issue with fall sports officials, as there was massive uncertainty at the time of renewal as to if there would be seasons (who wanted to pay for licensure in a season that possibly wouldn't exist, especially with some also being spring sports officials that had just lost a season w/o refund). I am betting there was a lesser percentage of winter referees that went inactive in comparison to the fall.

Myself being a soccer official, I can tell you that the primary association I am in/group from which I get games assigned saw a 15% opt out rate from its membership. This is completely independent of the normal change in referee base (new ones coming in, incumbent ones choosing to "retire").

I do not know what the rules & regulations are for wrestling officials in terms of post-season. For example to be eligible for soccer post-season you have to officiate 10 games of the gender in question (or 8 games of each gender) in both the current year and the immediately preceding year. I don't know if wrestling has that type of regulation in place.

theshark130

As independent contractors referees can always opt to work or not work.

I know that there were some referees across sports that chose not to renew their license for the 2020-21 school year. However, I think that was more an issue with fall sports officials, as there was massive uncertainty at the time of renewal as to if there would be seasons (who wanted to pay for licensure in a season that possibly wouldn't exist, especially with some also being spring sports officials that had just lost a season w/o refund). I am betting there was a lesser percentage of winter referees that went inactive in comparison to the fall.

Myself being a soccer official, I can tell you that the primary association I am in/group from which I get games assigned saw a 15% opt out rate from its membership. This is completely independent of the normal change in referee base (new ones coming in, incumbent ones choosing to "retire").

I do not know what the rules & regulations are for wrestling officials in terms of post-season. For example to be eligible for soccer post-season you have to officiate 10 games of the gender in question (or 8 games of each gender) in both the current year and the immediately preceding year. I don't know if wrestling has that type of regulation in place.
It is 6 Varsity contracts in the current year and in the preceding year.

350zjk

The "6 varsity contracts" mandate MIGHT get tabled this year. IF we do have a post season be prepared to see some Class 2 officials at your sectional. I know in my area 2 State officials have opted out plus a few others.

miketyson

What does choose to opt out mean? You mean they are just not gonna ref this year? Also refs don't get paid enough. Its such a tough job especially with the ridiculous out of bounds of rules.

Zibroman

As a seasoned official with 29 active years, which includes 8 state championships, I have decided to opt-out this year. I have very elderly parents who I want to be able to see, new grandchildren to protect, and finally I have underlying condition that I need to be concerned about. It's a simple decision for me. Good luck to all for a successful season, hopefully I will see everyone 2021-22.