Referees at d3 state

what was everyone’s thoughts on the referees? i thought they did a good job except a couple close matches. i think pierce taylor got cheated by the refs
I wouldn’t say he got cheated but it was most definitely a bad call. My problem was the McNicholas kid may been stalling on bottom at some points during the match but he was not stalling when the ref made the call. It felt like it was a makeup call because he realized or thought he should have been called for stalling earlier. But Barnett was a beast on top and now the debate comes into play was he stalling or was he just overpowered. I see many refs call bottom kids for stalling when they seem to just be over powered. It seemed like Taylor was doing everything in his power just to fight a half off, let alone standup. Only other questionable call I saw was Boggs from Sandy Valley got called for a very questionable slam in OT that cost him the match. Other than that no complaints good refereeing.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t say he got cheated but it was most definitely a bad call. My problem was the McNicholas kid may been stalling on bottom at some points during the match but he was not stalling when the ref made the call. It felt like it was a makeup call because he realized or thought he should have been called for stalling earlier. But Barnett was a beast on top and now the debate comes into play was he stalling or was he just overpowered. I see many refs call bottom kids for stalling when they seem to just be over powered. It seemed like Taylor was doing everything in his power just to fight a half off, let alone standup. Only other question call I saw was Boggs from Sandy Valley got called for a very questionable slam in OT that was cost him the match. Other than that no complaints good refereeing.
i agree but he got hit earlier in the match, you do not call stalling with 1 second left to go into overtime in state semis

I dont have a dog in the fight on this one but just a fan. I actually thought the bending fingers penalty was worse than the stalling. I had a front row view of it. It is not illegal to grab fingers it is illegal to bend them. He was in no way bending them.

i agree but he got hit earlier in the match, you do not call stalling with 1 second left to go into overtime in state semis
A good official, in any sport, will apply the rules equally and fairly during the entirety of a match/game, regardless of time or score.

for example, this wknd I was doing college baseball and in the top of the 9th of a 6-4 game,the team behind had 1st and 3rd no one out, and ground ball to short, runner slides into fielder who had come off the bag, which is an illegal slide. I called it, 2 outs, runner goes back to third. Coach asked how I can call it at that point in the game. Rules are rules and my job is to enforce them, ESPECIALLY safety rules.

that said, if the man was hit on bottom with 1 second left, you could make the argument that he did not cheat the top man out of possibility of scoring as it’s literally impossible to get a pin or back points in one second. Also, if score was tied and he only needed an escape to win, he actually did top man a favor if he was stalling bc an escape is usually easier to obtain than a takedown

Actually, now that I posted that, that is not true about doing him a favor. Bottom man might have demonstrated he is the better wrestler from neutral and other is better on the mat; whereby stalling to prevent back points gains him an advantage in OT.

I wouldn’t say he got cheated but it was most definitely a bad call. My problem was the McNicholas kid may been stalling on bottom at some points during the match but he was not stalling when the ref made the call. It felt like it was a makeup call because he realized or thought he should have been called for stalling earlier. But Barnett was a beast on top and now the debate comes into play was he stalling or was he just overpowered. I see many refs call bottom kids for stalling when they seem to just be over powered. It seemed like Taylor was doing everything in his power just to fight a half off, let alone standup. Only other questionable call I saw was Boggs from Sandy Valley got called for a very questionable slam in OT that cost him the match. Other than that no complaints good refereeing.
Boggs definitely got robbed on that one. The kid he was wrestling ended up coming back through and getting 3rd.

Wasn't there and didn't see it, but stalling... think of 4H... Head, hands, hips, heals... if all 4 are not moving, you are sleeping, dead or stalling. Regardless what the top guy is doing, overpowered or not.

what was everyone’s thoughts on the referees? i thought they did a good job except a couple close matches. i think pierce taylor got cheated by the refs
The refs were for the most part good, few calls and missed calls but it happens at every level. Stop crying about that match, I wanted taylor to win but I was watching it happen and he should have been hit earlier, also something that could have changed things but really, he was stalling, I saw alot worse stalling calls all weekend. Most of those refs I've seen at tournaments for the last 20+ years between coaching and wrestling, most very good and consistent refs. Idk who was reading that match but I bet he knows more about the reffing side than you do. Let it go, match is over and complaining doesn't change a thing. Wrestle 6 minutes, 5 minutes it doesn't matter, if you stop what happens after is on you.

The refs were for the most part good, few calls and missed calls but it happens at every level. Stop crying about that match, I wanted taylor to win but I was watching it happen and he should have been hit earlier, also something that could have changed things but really, he was stalling, I saw alot worse stalling calls all weekend. Most of those refs I've seen at tournaments for the last 20+ years between coaching and wrestling, most very good and consistent refs. Idk who was reading that match but I bet he knows more about the reffing side than you do. Let it go, match is over and complaining doesn't change a thing. Wrestle 6 minutes, 5 minutes it doesn't matter, if you stop what happens after is on you.
Agree with this.

Good example, my guy is on top down 2-0 towards the end of the third. Actively trying to load a tilt. (If I remember correctly he is forcing his elbow in the middle. He gets called for stalling with 20 seconds left... I wasn't happy...

But like I told my wrestler... we can't put ourselves in that position.

I'm not questioning whether or not he was stalling because, according to the rules, it looked like he was stalling on bottom at points in the match. My problem was when the referee chose to make the stall call. Taylor was not stalling when the referee called him for stalling. He had just come to his feet. If he stalling hit him earlier when he actual is stalling. I get the feeling he realized too late that he should have been hit at some point in the third period for stalling and did that as a make up call.

I'm not questioning whether or not he was stalling because, according to the rules, it looked like he was stalling on bottom at points in the match. My problem was when the referee chose to make the stall call. Taylor was not stalling when the referee called him for stalling. He had just come to his feet. If he stalling hit him earlier when he actual is stalling. I get the feeling he realized too late that he should have been hit at some point in the third period for stalling and did that as a make up call.
i agree, in the third period he would stall a bit but you don’t call it when he’s not stalling, that’s like seeing a blatant offensive pass interference and not calling it then seeing a guy score the game winning touchdown and calling pass interference when he wasn’t near the guy

In the 126 semi's match, the kid from Rootstown hit a Petersen and had control of it for some 30 seconds and the move was not awarded a reversal nor back points. Was the strangest "no-call" I've seen in some time.

its pretty good when even the GOhiocast video of this match you can hear him behind the camera in the first period mention the ref waving off the takedown as a bad call, then the petersen, i had a 2 & 2 call there easy but hey I am just a person in a chair watching a video replay not live time

In the 126 semi's match, the kid from Rootstown hit a Petersen and had control of it for some 30 seconds and the move was not awarded a reversal nor back points. Was the strangest "no-call" I've seen in some time.
I thought the ref in this particular match did a terrible job all day...He was always getting called to the table by coaches and I’m not sure if it was pride or arrogance but he never once conceded or overturned a call. That Petersen no call was the worst I have ever seen.

Absolutely terrible no call. The Edwards kid got into the scramble at :35 seconds, hits the Peterson at :25 seconds and holds the kid through the whistle at the end of the 1st period (abundantly clear on the video, but see the screenshot). I’m no mathematician, but that should be at the least 2 points for a takedown and 2-3 for back points. Edwards loses that match by 1 point and the other kids wins the title. Hate to see kids get hosed by absolutely horrific officiating.
C623F920-729D-4F7A-B84B-0DD7E42F1C3A.jpg

Attachments

• 4449DF7B-3A46-4DCB-8C61-A77E831A4989.jpeg
    4449DF7B-3A46-4DCB-8C61-A77E831A4989.jpeg
    239.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
It's really a shame that most of these matches with the poor calls had 2 officials.

Sadly, I've come to find that the Assistant Ref is only there to help the main ref posture up against coaches instead of actually helping the accuracy of the match call.

Coach: I think this.
Main Ref: I'll check with my assistant.
Assistant doesn't go against Main for solidarity.
Main avoids argument from Coach, because 2 refs couldn't possibly both be wrong...

Absolutely terrible no call. The Edwards kid got into the scramble at :35 seconds, hits the Peterson at :25 seconds and holds the kid through the whistle at the end of the 1st period (abundantly clear on the video, but see the screenshot). I’m no mathematician, but that should be at the least 2 points for a takedown and 2-3 for back points. Edwards loses that match by 1 point and the other kids wins the title. Hate to see kids get hosed by absolutely horrific officiating. View attachment 15672
I actually saw this one live. It was an interesting position. I think the call could have gone either way. If you watch it full speed the peterson happed but he never held him there in criteria. The kid in red actually sat up on his butt then would cross face him putting the other kid in nearfall criteria. the kid would press back into him which then the kid in red immediately sat up to his butt. Since they were neutral, I believe the kid had to hold him in criteria beyond reaction time to be awarded the takedown. It was debatable if this happened. At this level their are so many close calls that could go either way. I think this is one you could easily argue form either perspective.

I actually saw this one live. It was an interesting position. I think the call could have gone either way. If you watch it full speed the peterson happed but he never held him there in criteria. The kid in red actually sat up on his butt then would cross face him putting the other kid in nearfall criteria. the kid would press back into him which then the kid in red immediately sat up to his butt. Since they were neutral, I believe the kid had to hold him in criteria beyond reaction time to be awarded the takedown. It was debatable if this happened. At this level their are so many close calls that could go either way. I think this is one you could easily argue form either perspective.
He was held in criteria for 6-7 seconds on video, well beyond reaction time. I agree the defensive wrestler sat up a few times, however the grip through the leg and on the wrist was never broken. No less than 2&2, possibly 2&3 depending on when the TD was awarded. It was called differently on many other occasions all weekend long at D3.

I do agree with the other post above that it would be nice to see the calls discussed better amongst the assistant referees and the emphasis on correcting calls versus simply falling in line which happens all too often. It’s difficult to get some calls right in real time, but there’s no reason calls can’t be reversed when two officials actually have an honest discussion. You don’t see officials in higher levels of sport hesitate or pout if they’re overturned, why not wrestling too