Recreational Golf 2020

Wow! What a chaotic life for that young man. Thanks for the background, Clark.
Yeh, take a vacation from the clubs for a couple weeks; then, get out and I’m sure you’ll play great after the lay-off

But...but...but...they're calling me from the basement!

But...but...but...they're calling me from the basement!

After I know, in the late fall, that I'm done for the year, I remove my clubs from my vehicle. I always set them in the area between my vehicle and the door to the house. I swear that I can see tears from my clubs. Well............ maybe it's the tears in my eyes.

On another note, when my cousin bought his new set of woods a few years ago, he took a picture of them in his bed, where his wife normally sleeps. I'm guessing that he NEVER showed her that picture.

These are some of the monikers that Myron the poster, myself, and a sports editor friend of mine, use to describe some of the characters we see on the golf course.

Guido- describes an underdressed, loud, poor golfing gentleman. Wears gold chains. Chest, back hair, and armpit hair sticking out of his wife-beater. Jorts, Not a pretty sight. He more than likely has brought his own beer and smokes cigarettes, sometimes hanging out of his mouth while swinging. He has been known to talk loud enough to his buddy, two feet away, to be heard two fairways over. Pars and bogies are met with calls of, "Booya!" I've seen Guidos in flipflops, sandals, suspenders, and work boots.

A Jamoke- He's a better dressed version of Guido. He actually wears a golf shirt and sometimes, nice shorts, though has been known to wear workout shorts. He brings his own beer and cigarettes to the course. He also talks loudly. Whereas Guido knows his golf limits, the Jamoke plays from the tips, thinking he's a good golfer. His drives usually go under 150 yards, and he scores in the mid 90's. He should be playing from the white tees. His rounds usually take over 4 1/2 hours, as he wants some time away from, as he puts it, "The Old Lady."

Poindexter- This is the guy who ALWAYS dresses nicely, knows the rules, and will let you know that he knows the rules, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. He will stealthily count the number of clubs in your bag and makes you putt out a 1 foot gimme for a bogie. He's the guy who will tell you to go ahead and move your ball off a root so you don't break your club, then after putting out, tell you that's a penalty for moving your ball. He has been a member, or is a member of a private country club. Poindexters usually play together, but this is not a group that Average Joes like us would want to join. They are no fun.

I know that Myron will add something, as I'm sure I've forgotten a detail.

If anyone cares to add their versions, we all need a good laugh.

I made a point to our opponents in the league a couple of weeks ago. They made my partner and I putt a couple of putts under two feet on the second hole. On the third hole, one of them had one about a foot and a half and I stood there like a mute. He had to borrow his partner's mark and headed back to the cart to get his mark. As he started back from the cart I walked down, scooped up the mark, flipped it to his partner and said "I'm not a big enough of a d!@k to make you guys putt those." Point made.

I've also grown tired of the guys who seem to lose count the closer they get to double digits on a hole. That seems to happen about every other week any more.

I have to add in a ‘Mrs. Crane,’ to be uttered at the first appearance of a female on the course, in honor of Bill Murray’s character Carl the Groumdskeeper in Caddyshack.

never good to be on a course full of Guido’s, Poindexters, nor Jamokes!

And such a true comment about double digits, Clark. “Just write me down for 6”

These are some of the monikers that Myron the poster, myself, and a sports editor friend of mine, use to describe some of the characters we see on the golf course.

Guido- describes an underdressed, loud, poor golfing gentleman. Wears gold chains. Chest, back hair, and armpit hair sticking out of his wife-beater. Jorts, Not a pretty sight. He more than likely has brought his own beer and smokes cigarettes, sometimes hanging out of his mouth while swinging. He has been known to talk loud enough to his buddy, two feet away, to be heard two fairways over. Pars and bogies are met with calls of, "Booya!" I've seen Guidos in flipflops, sandals, suspenders, and work boots.

A Jamoke- He's a better dressed version of Guido. He actually wears a golf shirt and sometimes, nice shorts, though has been known to wear workout shorts. He brings his own beer and cigarettes to the course. He also talks loudly. Whereas Guido knows his golf limits, the Jamoke plays from the tips, thinking he's a good golfer. His drives usually go under 150 yards, and he scores in the mid 90's. He should be playing from the white tees. His rounds usually take over 4 1/2 hours, as he wants some time away from, as he puts it, "The Old Lady."

Poindexter- This is the guy who ALWAYS dresses nicely, knows the rules, and will let you know that he knows the rules, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. He will stealthily count the number of clubs in your bag and makes you putt out a 1 foot gimme for a bogie. He's the guy who will tell you to go ahead and move your ball off a root so you don't break your club, then after putting out, tell you that's a penalty for moving your ball. He has been a member, or is a member of a private country club. Poindexters usually play together, but this is not a group that Average Joes like us would want to join. They are no fun.

I know that Myron will add something, as I'm sure I've forgotten a detail.

If anyone cares to add their versions, we all need a good laugh.

You better watch it Numbers, in these woke times Guido is not very PC moniker. It categorizes Italian-Americans into a very narrow stereotype :ROFLMAO:

Some famous Guidos>

Fr. Guido Sarducci
83e7bdecaf21891410344d016b8c8ff3.jpg

Guido the Killer Pimp
13ihu_4lOTa9a-xU95nhKKMEIguHW2m74OYhl9HDO46QlFL6u1_xo3AtXCajBgX05rC1jBkbaC_bLendtJrF0YuMbabazx1RkwXNcNKW4IV46VkmaLK1INQmtCnv

Guido the Lift Car
open-uri20150422-20810-1p4gxx9_6ea17642.jpeg

You better watch it Numbers, in these woke times Guido is not very PC moniker. It categorizes Italian-Americans into a very narrow stereotype :ROFLMAO:

Some famous Guidos>

Fr. Guido Sarducci
83e7bdecaf21891410344d016b8c8ff3.jpg

Guido the Killer Pimp
13ihu_4lOTa9a-xU95nhKKMEIguHW2m74OYhl9HDO46QlFL6u1_xo3AtXCajBgX05rC1jBkbaC_bLendtJrF0YuMbabazx1RkwXNcNKW4IV46VkmaLK1INQmtCnv

Guido the Lift Car
open-uri20150422-20810-1p4gxx9_6ea17642.jpeg

Actually, Auggie, I am half-Italian. My maternal grandparents came over on a boat, into Ellis Island. No pun intended, but I'm grandfathered in. :cool:

PGA Championship this weekend from San Fran. West Coast location means prime time high level golf, looking forward to it.

Beautiful course. I like to see the pros sweat out every shot like they do at the Open, but I prefer the difficult but fair logic used by the PGA In setting up the course.

Beautiful course. I like to see the pros sweat out every shot like they do at the Open, but I prefer the difficult but fair logic used by the PGA In setting up the course.

I have played on some of those Pacific coast courses and they are really difficult. The cyprus trees that line them don't look very intimidating but they are not forgiving, also it could be 90 and dry inland but you get these coastal courses and it ends up being in the '60s with a moist marine layer that makes club selection tricky. Also because the greens never really dry out they cut them very low and the speed when above the hole is insane. #18 at nearby Olympic is borderline unplayable during the US Open.

I have played on some of those Pacific coast courses and they are really difficult. The cyprus trees that line them don't look very intimidating but they are not forgiving, also it could be 90 and dry inland but you get these coastal courses and it ends up being in the '60s with a moist marine layer that makes club selection tricky. Also because the greens never really dry out they cut them very low and the speed when above the hole is insane. #18 at nearby Olympic is borderline unplayable during the US Open.

Lucky you Auggie. Those cypress trees also seem to like swallowing up golf balls too. Justin Thomas apparently had one swallowed yesterday. The rough is brutal. I read something yesterday that the course is part of a 3 course complex that is one of the top 10 public facilities in the US.

I find some of the Open setups maddening when they punish some good shots. I can live with tight greens, fast greens and hellacious rough, but things like balls landing in the middle of the green and bounding over or off and impossible as opposed to difficult pin positions are too much.

It should be a fun weekend of watching.

I’ve played Pebble Beach twice—once paired up with a round at Spyglass (recommended), the other at Spanish Bay (target golf—not recommended). Since I had my clubs out there both times, and budgeted a week in NoCal, I always thought I’d play an SF or Napa course whi;e out there. But with SF being such a vibrant city, so much wine to drink in Napa, and with any course after Pebble bound to be a letdown, I never got around to it, whether it was Lincoln Park, Sharp Park, Chardonnay, Gleneagles, etc.

Definitely a unique climate and topography out there on the Left Coast

Last edited:
The final day of the PGA should be a good watch. I've grown tired of Brooks Koepka's act so I am not rooting for him. I am rooting as he has been a solid player for some time. I also see Morikawa as a star in the making and could see him making a run.

The final day of the PGA should be a good watch. I've grown tired of Brooks Koepka's act so I am not rooting for him. I am rooting as he has been a solid player for some time. I also see Morikawa as a star in the making and could see him making a run.

Nice call on Morikawa. The tee ball on 16 was the shot of the tourney.