Recreational Golf 2019

I might as well start this thread.

The clubs and all necessary items are in the back of my truck.
I am off this week.
I just need it to get a tad warmer.

My home course is up for auction and I am just waiting for them to sign their cart lease for the year. I am just too old walk or push a cart, especially given that I had back surgery five years ago.

I DID take advantage of the membership drive at Windmill Lakes, though.
$200, yes, $200 FOR TWO YEARS.
The only restrictions are a $15 cart fee, three day notice on tee times, and on weekends and holidays, we can only tee off after 11am.

Who's ready for some nice weather and some golf?

It’s been a long winter, usually I have about 4 rounds in by now. Nothing in January or Feb and this month I haven’t had much time. My league starts in a couple weeks and I haven’t touched a club.

I might as well start this thread.

The clubs and all necessary items are in the back of my truck.
I am off this week.
I just need it to get a tad warmer.

My home course is up for auction and I am just waiting for them to sign their cart lease for the year. I am just too old walk or push a cart, especially given that I had back surgery five years ago.

I DID take advantage of the membership drive at Windmill Lakes, though.
$200, yes, $200 FOR TWO YEARS.
The only restrictions are a $15 cart fee, three day notice on tee times, and on weekends and holidays, we can only tee off after 11am.

Who's ready for some nice weather and some golf?

So Windmill Lakes keeps chugging along, I thought it was going to close? Good for golfers in that area as it is a decent test of golf.

But it appears CLE will be losing a course that has been around for almost 100 years and on top of that a Donald Ross design. Hawthorne Valley will be dormant for 2019 hoping to find a Buyer but the city of Solon is not holding out hope. My guess is like Acacia and Astrohurst they will turn it into some sort of gloried walking park run by the Metro Parks. Those seniors love that cart path to make their strolls through nature easier.

acacia-reservation.jpg

That's some rough!

Out of curiosity, a few days ago I searched (Googled) for a couple of courses in the area I used to play. Both are gone and have become housing/office developments.

My old home course was bought by the Presbyterian Home about ten years ago. They saved one of the two nines. Maybe I'll get to play it again one day. :D

Hit 'em straight!

So Windmill Lakes keeps chugging along, I thought it was going to close? Good for golfers in that area as it is a decent test of golf.

But it appears CLE will be losing a course that has been around for almost 100 years and on top of that a Donald Ross design. Hawthorne Valley will be dormant for 2019 hoping to find a Buyer but the city of Solon is not holding out hope. My guess is like Acacia and Astrohurst they will turn it into some sort of gloried walking park run by the Metro Parks. Those seniors love that cart path to make their strolls through nature easier.

acacia-reservation.jpg

I didn't know Windmill was in trouble. We figured there was a reason for such a sweetheart of a deal.

Oak Knolls and Kent State University courses, both in Kent, closed a few years ago.

It's sad to see courses closing.

In the Myrtle Beach area next week and hope to jump start my season with a couple of rounds. A lot of new (to me) clubs in the bag I need to break in. League starts in mid-April.

Hate to see all of the course closures. With KSU Meadowview gone, there's no place to buy stolen Prov1's from meth addicts any more.

Let me know how the Windmill deal works out. I've played there quite a bit in the last couple of years, playing quick nines late on Sundays for $15 through GolfNow, so I passed on the membership deal.

Ahh, memories of the Kent meth addicts. I'm sure that there are other "grandfathers" that have had their garages cleaned out. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking about heading to the driving range or hitting some wedges and putting on #9, by the clubhouse, on Wednesday, at Sleepy Hollow.

Weather permitting, I would like to get out to Windmill on Thursday and/or Friday.

It felt good to go out to the driving range today and get loosened up. I hit two buckets, then went down to 9 and hit some wedges, seven irons around the green, and putted.

Add Brandywine Country Club in Peninsula to another NEO course closed this year: https://www.ohio.com/news/20190326/brandywine-country-club-could-become-part-of-national-park

I don't remember the story behind the young owner; messed up situation.

Nonetheless I will not miss this course at all. To me the design was amateurish with pine trees too close to the fairways defining most holes. The signature hole was an idiotic "Z" like par 5 that was impossible to make the green in 2 because of the routing and not length. Also the one time I played they double booked the prime tee time with regulars delaying my tee off by at least a hour, the play was like the Bataan death march too. Good riddance.

AAm0IH0mT7vENrOo7infNaaDesFsPC2xrpNjxXXSFxI.jpg

Add Brandywine Country Club in Peninsula to another NEO course closed this year: https://www.ohio.com/news/20190326/brandywine-country-club-could-become-part-of-national-park

Nonetheless I will not miss this course at all. To me the design was amateurish with pine trees too close to the fairways defining most holes. The signature hole was an idiotic "Z" like par 5 that was impossible to make the green in 2 because of the routing and not length. Also the one time I played they double booked the prime tee time with regulars delaying my tee off by at least a hour, the play was like the Bataan death march too. Good riddance.

As I recall, he had some mental health issues (probably from being forced to play that back 9 in his youth). He took an officer's gun, ran off and shot himself with it.

Akron area courses recently closed (last 10 years or so)- Mogadore; Oak Knolls; Green Hills; Boston Hills; KSU Meadowview; Valley View; Sycamore Valley; Brandywine...

Myron and I played Brandywine a few times. The front wasn't bad, but the back, in Myron's words, was designed by someone on crack. We always wondered if we got caught out on the back too late, we'd be confronted by the boys from Deliverance.

"As I recall, he had some mental health issues (probably from being forced to play that back 9 in his youth). He took an officer's gun, ran off and shot himself with it."
Actually, Myron and I would've considered that a positive move after 18 holes.

Brandywine is one of the courses that won't be missed.

On another note, we got out to Windmill today. There were actually a lot of people out, along with the Kent State Women's golf team.

This is not an easy course, given our age, and it being our first venture out, we played the silver tees. Of course, the silver tees may be our tee box of choice in the summer.

On another note, we got out to Windmill today. There were actually a lot of people out, along with the Kent State Women's golf team.

This is not an easy course, given our age, and it being our first venture out, we played the silver tees. Of course, the silver tees may be our tee box of choice in the summer.

When I carried a single digit handicap I was asked to play Windmill from the tips, struggles to break 90 and I think it is a Par 70. Huge modern greens that really affected club choice because they are so big.

Best pro shop at a course in NEO, tent sale was legendary.

Any out of town golfers who came to the area, and wanted some public course options, I always suggested Windmill Lakes. I played it last, two years ago, and the starter did mention play was down. It can be attributed to golf suffering from lack of interest, but Windmill was always pricey. It sounds like Windmill is trying to get in line with the price of their competition.

Agreed, their Pro Shop is the best.

I had the the day off today and despite the weather I promised myself I was going to play golf so I made it out Shale Creek in Medina as a single. The gentlemen in the clubhouse gave pity on me and granted me the senior rate (I'm 32) given the rain and since it was cart path only;)

Course was empty, obviously, with the exception of a couple other twosomes I noticed. Started around noon and the rain was pretty heavy for the front nine, but let up around hole 7. I struggled on the front nine but finally got warm and went 46-37 for an 83. I had only ever played the front nine at Shale Creek, so I was excited to experience the back. I love how most of the back nine ( holes 10-14) are designed around the river, so that was pretty cool. The back is definitely easier than the front, I think, with some really cool holes. (10, 11, and 17 especially). The hardest stretch of the course is definitely holes 4-7.

Since I've lived in NEO I've enjoyed the few rounds I've played at Shale and this time was no different. Despite the weather it was a solid day.

Last edited:
These are a few courses in NEO I hope to get out to this year:

Sleepy Hollow
Pine Hills
Manakiki (Really far from me but heard good things)

I had the the day off today and despite the weather I promised myself I was going to play golf so I made it out Shale Creek in Medina as a single. The gentlemen in the clubhouse gave pity on me and granted me the senior rate (I'm 32) given the rain and since it was cart path only;)

Course was empty, obviously, with the exception of a couple other twosomes I noticed. Started around noon and the rain was pretty heavy for the front nine, but let up around hole 7. I struggled on the front nine but finally got warm and went 46-37 for an 83. I had only ever played the front nine at Shale Creek, so I was excited to experience the back. I love how most of the back nine ( holes 10-14) are designed around the river, so that was pretty cool. The back is definitely easier than the front, I think, with some really cool holes. (10, 11, and 17 especially). The hardest stretch of the course is definitely holes 4-7.

Since I've lived in NEO I've enjoyed the few rounds I've played at Shale and this time was no different. Despite the weather it was a solid day.

I LOVE playing Shale. We try to get there twice a year, even though it's a good hour or more drive. I always go there with one son, and sometimes Myron will join us.

I think the older lady that lives in one of the houses to the right of the lake on #1 is still in shock after Myron tattooed her house with an errant tee shot. Of course the other members of the group had a laugh and will never let him forget it.

On another note, we had a 1:00 tee time at Windmill Lakes today, but decided to cancel. Playing in the mud and rain was not appealing.

Back to the salt mines on Monday. Here's to next weekend being nice.

Sleepy Hollow
Pine Hills

If you haven't played them, get out to Little Mountain and Fowlers Mill. If you feel like to trip to the Youngstown area, try Reserve Run, Firestone Farms, and Kensington.

I’d argue that the startup of the Recreational Golf thread is an even greater precursor of spring’s impending arrival than CBS’ Masters commercials!

Yappi post of the week, here.

$100,000 in back taxes? Yikes!

All I’ll miss is the 923 foot drop off the tee box on par-three #15. Always select the best-of-three tee shots here, although the tee box was a dysfunctional driving range mat.

Yes I’m certain people never emerged from playing that back nine. Probably being offed by some methhead girls selling ProV1s at a steep discount...

All I’ll miss is the 923 foot drop off the tee box on par-three #15. Always select the best-of-three tee shots here, although the tee box was a dysfunctional driving range mat.

Yes I’m certain people never emerged from playing that back nine. Probably being offed by some methhead girls selling ProV1s at a steep discount...

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

If you haven't played them, get out to Little Mountain and Fowlers Mill. If you feel like to trip to the Youngstown area, try Reserve Run, Firestone Farms, and Kensington.

Agree. Have played all those courses.

Kennsingston and Reserve Run are much closer to where I live and I have played them often. Reserve Run is not very long, but is a neat, clean, interesting track. Kennsington is a little different, lots of elevation changes, and some tricky par-5's where decisions must be made to lay up or try to carry the water/gorges.

An underrated course in the Youngstown area is Oak Tree, just across the state line into Pennsylvania outside of Hubbard, northeast of Youngstown. It's struggling financially, like many courses these days, but its a beautiful and challenging layout. Not much there in the way of clubhouse atmosphere/food/beverages, but you'll love the course.

Sleepy Hollow
Pine Hills

Three of the best values in NEO when it comes to golf, well maintained at a good price. Here are a couple quick takes

Sleepy Hollow: Old school layout with some easy par 5s and some really tough par 4s and 3s, no two holes are alike and meandering layout makes for memorable round. Great location just of 77 so accessible from both sides of town which makes it one of the busiest courses in NEO.

Pine Hills: More modern course that reminds me a lot like Windmill Lakes. Longer course with bigger greens, great finishing hole with risk reward carry over a lake.

Manakiki: Donald Ross design that really shows off some of his trademarks like false front greens, numerous elevation changes, and holes that look visually easy but are tough. Back side has a couple really cool holes that wander through a valley that are very tough, they tears up mediocre golfers and can really slow down play.

manakiki.jpg

Hit some balls today for the first time this year. Good thing I went to the range instead of the course like I do some years as it was BRRRRUUUUUUTAAAAAAAAAAALLLL. Felt (and looked) like I'd never touched a club. Hope I got all of that out of my system.

Hit some balls today for the first time this year. Good thing I went to the range instead of the course like I do some years as it was BRRRRUUUUUUTAAAAAAAAAAALLLL. Felt (and looked) like I'd never touched a club. Hope I got all of that out of my system.

When I'm on the range, I hit my irons long, high, and straight, but, of course, when playing, I tend to pull them. :dang:

The long term forecast for next weekend looks decent. Hopefully I can get out.

Unfortunately, the "league" may be starting this Sunday at Sleepy. The "league" is made up of 20-25 gentlemen, with less, let's say, than a high school education. We use the term, "Guido's." Their Sunday tee times start at 8:15, every week. Many come in already drunk, or still drunk from the night before. Most are wearing camo pants, shirts, sleeveless shirts, beer advertisement shirts, flip-flops, sandals, suspenders, flannel shirts, backwards hats, smoking, etc. Really, some play in sandals and flip-flops. I know they are smoking weed and drinking moonshine on the course. One guy is playing Lynyrd Skynrd in his cart. Yes, several are without teeth. One guy told me there's a guy that shoots in the 60's and several that are regularly in the 50's. Yes, this is a real sh*tshow. You get the picture. No one can make this up. They are also very loud.

They alternate nines each Sunday, and actually take almost three hours to play nine. The course allows this because they are financially strapped. This is guaranteed beer money and greens fees. They are there every Sunday from April until October.

U either get out ahead of them, or start on the other side.

Last edited:
:Ohno: :laugh: :help:

My dad went out alone one weekend, playing a local "scrub" course. Similar situation. He complained to the operator that there were a dozen guys at one time on the greens.

Though dad is a bit prone to exaggerate a bit, I got the picture. The operator just laughed. Of course, he was thinking of the dollars those rubes brought in. Sad state of affairs.

Last edited:
Three of the best values in NEO when it comes to golf, well maintained at a good price. Here are a couple quick takes

Sleepy Hollow: Old school layout with some easy par 5s and some really tough par 4s and 3s, no two holes are alike and meandering layout makes for memorable round. Great location just of 77 so accessible from both sides of town which makes it one of the busiest courses in NEO.

Pine Hills: More modern course that reminds me a lot like Windmill Lakes. Longer course with bigger greens, great finishing hole with risk reward carry over a lake.

Manakiki: Donald Ross design that really shows off some of his trademarks like false front greens, numerous elevation changes, and holes that look visually easy but are tough. Back side has a couple really cool holes that wander through a valley that are very tough, they tears up mediocre golfers and can really slow down play.

manakiki.jpg

What a beautiful view!

:Ohno: :laugh: :help:

My dad went out alone one weekend, playing a local "scrub" course. Similar situation. He complained to the operator that there were a dozen guys on each green at a time.

Though dad is a bit prone to exaggerate a bit, I got the picture. The operator just laughed. Of course, he was thinking of the dollars those rubes brought in. Sad state of affairs.

Most courses are so strapped, they'll accept almost anyone.