Recreational Golf 2019

After the return from Florida, I resumed play at Sleepy, in Alliance.

I made a trip to Chagrin Falls to play Tanglewood. The course was in pretty good shape and 17 affords quite a view. Yes, I put the ball on the road after a straight pull.

Male 11's and I played The Quarry in East Canton, yesterday. It was still a bit wet and some of the holes were cart path only. BUT, what a fun course to play!

After the return from Florida, I resumed play at Sleepy, in Alliance.

I made a trip to Chagrin Falls to play Tanglewood. The course was in pretty good shape and 17 affords quite a view. Yes, I put the ball on the road after a straight pull.

Male 11's and I played The Quarry in East Canton, yesterday. It was still a bit wet and some of the holes were cart path only. BUT, what a fun course to play!

Played the The Quarry about a month ago when it was all cart path only. Wonderful course but it was exhausting!

Finally put together a decent round in the league last night. 38 with bogeys on the last two holes.

I've been back a Sleepy this past week and will be playing Mill Creek North, in Canfield, tomorrow morning.

Had a great time yesterday with 1’s and Mots. I think 1’s missed one fairway all day and I never saw Mots hit the t-ball that well all day long. But the best part was having two good friends play at the course I grew up on. The North course has a couple of cart path only holes, but it’s finally starting to dry out.

It's not recreational golf, but I headed out to Firestone for the Senior PGA Players Championship today. In my nearly 50 years of going to Firestone (I went even as a little kid) it was the worst attendance I've ever seen. I would guess it was about a fifth of the usual Sunday attendance for the regular pros. Beautiful course, accessible golfers and decent golf, but people apparently don't want to watch the minor leagues after seeing top notch gold for so many years.

One of the amusing parts of the day was John Daly. He cruised up by me in his cart and in the cup holders was a can of Coke and a Burger King cup.

It's not recreational golf, but I headed out to Firestone for the Senior PGA Players Championship today. In my nearly 50 years of going to Firestone (I went even as a little kid) it was the worst attendance I've ever seen. I would guess it was about a fifth of the usual Sunday attendance for the regular pros. Beautiful course, accessible golfers and decent golf, but people apparently don't want to watch the minor leagues after seeing top notch gold for so many years.

One of the amusing parts of the day was John Daly. He cruised up by me in his cart and in the cup holders was a can of Coke and a Burger King cup.

Mickelson is only about 11 months away from 50. Average golf fans are sheep and might be more likely to show up to see a guy like him play at Firestone.

Played Turkeyfoot in the wife's family event and stunk the place up. Solid conditioning for a public course but hate the location of the roads right on top of the course with the accompanying Harley traffic from the portage lakes and the idiotic architecture of some holes. I also think arborvitae should be banned from a course, they are ugly and offer little resistance as a barrier for the many tees that are right up against the previous holes greens.

I thought the same,the 18th green on Sunday was unreal.They'll take it away if it stays like that for a few years.

Got out for the first time this summer with Ones, hitting Chenoweth, south of Akron. Nice layout, but average condition course. Which is weird, since on every hole, they seemed to have a maintenance/landscape person tending to something.

Had my best front nine I think I've ever played on that course, but then regression-to-the-mean set in the final nine.

Ones had hit a house (which was waaaaaay off the fairway several years back) with a bad duck hook; I noticed today that they now had a brick fence up protecting their patio and lower level of their house...

Nice weather for golf, a 3-1/2 hour long round, great conversation -- was good to get back out with 1111111111141111111. And maybe before July ends, he will figure out this new Yappi configuration!

Got out for the first time this summer with Ones, hitting Chenoweth, south of Akron. Nice layout, but average condition course. Which is weird, since on every hole, they seemed to have a maintenance/landscape person tending to something.

Had my best front nine I think I've ever played on that course, but then regression-to-the-mean set in the final nine.

Ones had hit a house (which was waaaaaay off the fairway several years back) with a bad duck hook; I noticed today that they now had a brick fence up protecting their patio and lower level of their house...

Nice weather for golf, a 3-1/2 hour long round, great conversation -- was good to get back out with 1111111111141111111. And maybe before July ends, he will figure out this new Yappi configuration!

Yes, it was great getting out with Myron and shooting the . I thought I noticed the house members streaming out and into their cars in anticipation of my tee shoot. We were never held up, nor pushed.

And no, there were no crack mamas in the parking lot, selling ProV's to Myron. At least not when he dropped me off at my vehicle.

I'm hoping to get out with Myron 2-3 more times before I have to earn my paycheck.

I visited Shale Creek, in Medina, with male 11's. I just love that course! It's always in great shape, has some challenging holes, but nothing too difficult. We teed off at 9:00 and were never held up until 13, when we caught a threesome, and a fivesome. Yes, a fivesome. They actually played at decent pace for a few holes, then seemed to tire. As we stood on the 18th tee box, we counted five carts:confused: Yes, five carts. Seems they joined together to play the last hole. All in all, an enjoyable experience.

Windmill Lakes today, Sleepy Hollow tomorrow and Thursday, then back to Windmill on Friday.

Today's round was at Little Mountain, the second time I've played this.

The bad:
*It seemed every landscaper, maintenance guy, and the cart girls were obstacles every hole. It's almost like the superintendent's employees are in a union that has contracted not to start work till 9:00 AM. Led to some frustrating interruptions of the tempo of our round.

The good:
*Real challenging course. It can be very penal for even a minor mental or physical mistake. The traps can really be a challenge depending where your ball ends up in them. And you really have to work for every shot here. #18 is such a long par 4, with the need for a very precise and long second shot; I nearly holed out from the bunker for par, and was happy to accept bogey there.
*Great day, good overall pace. The people that play here are all pretty good golfers and up on the etiquette that is lacking on many other courses. Being all the way out in Painesville, you have to make an effort to get there and play, so it gets rid of quite a bit of riff raff. Ones (and he brought Ones II with him...) got us started right before the course filled up--an excellent tee time.
*Cart girl was an obstacle six or seven times ;)
*Beautiful weather

The bad:
*It seemed every landscaper, maintenance guy, and the cart girls were obstacles every hole. It's almost like the superintendent's employees are in a union that has contracted not to start work till 9:00 AM. Led to some frustrating interruptions of the tempo of our round.

The good:
*Real challenging course. It can be very penal for even a minor mental or physical mistake. The traps can really be a challenge depending where your ball ends up in them. And you really have to work for every shot here. #18 is such a long par 4, with the need for a very precise and long second shot; I nearly holed out from the bunker for par, and was happy to accept bogey there.
*Great day, good overall pace. The people that play here are all pretty good golfers and up on the etiquette that is lacking on many other courses. Being all the way out in Painesville, you have to make an effort to get there and play, so it gets rid of quite a bit of riff raff. Ones (and he brought Ones II with him...) got us started right before the course filled up--an excellent tee time.
*Beautiful weather

I just wanted to point out the inconsistency of getting rid of the riff raff yet playing with ones! LOL.

The bad:

The good:
*Beautiful weather

Yes, Myron hit the nail on the head. It seems there was someone purposely setting up a maintenance person on every hole. Even though they knew we were there, it was a distraction. Maybe they were in cahoots.

There were no "easy" holes, as you will find on other courses. This course penalizes you for any shot not on target. The traps were unreal. Yes, 17 AND 18 were extremely challenging. Fortunately, there were no gentlemen in sleeveless shirts or acting like fools. They must have a detector in the parking lot.

Again, beautiful weather and a fun group with a lot of give and take. It's always a fun round with Myron and of course, male 11's.

AND, yes, the cart girl was a "distraction" :cool:

I just wanted to point out the inconsistency of getting rid of the riff raff yet playing with ones! LOL.

You must have had a conversation with Mrs. Ones. I honestly considered legally changing my name to "," as she often lovingly refers to me.

Yes, Myron hit the nail on the head. It seems there was someone purposely setting up a maintenance person on every hole. Even though they knew we were there, it was a distraction. Maybe they were in cahoots.

There were no "easy" holes, as you will find on other courses. This course penalizes you for any shot not on target. The traps were unreal. Yes, 17 AND 18 were extremely challenging. Fortunately, there were no gentlemen in sleeveless shirts or acting like fools. They must have a detector in the parking lot.

Again, beautiful weather and a fun group with a lot of give and take. It's always a fun round with Myron and of course, male 11's.

AND, yes, the cart girl was a "distraction" :cool:

Mondays have always been maintenance day at a golf course, Country Clubs are closed for play that day unless there is an outing. Not only does routine stuff like mowing, trimming, and bunker management need to be done but also cleaning up after the weekend hacks get finished tearing up a course. The best days to play are Wednesdays & Thursdays.

LM is a great course that offers a nice combo of holes. They do have some houses on the course which takes away from the aesthetics but the view of Lake Erie from the 17th tee is awesome.

I played Boulder Creek this past Friday and actually played fairly well. I'm getting old though so the last few holes are starting to become tougher as the aches and pains really kick in and the longer irons are tougher to hit consistently. The course was in good shape but it was a Bataan Death March on the 2nd 9, play was at best a snails pace. I really wished that golfers would pay attention to course ratings and slope and pick where they play and the tees they use based on their ability; too many hacks playing from the Blue tees and having trouble keeping the ball on the track and not in the many ravines that are next to impossible to get out of that are all over the course.

Arguably, the multitudes of 20-plus-handicap hacks should be teeing the opposite direction of the blues: off the seniors tees. When the handicap gets to 15 off the golds, then they can start to progress backward.

Yes, definitely frustrating

I played a 22 handicap in a league I sub in a couple of weeks ago. That's 22 FOR NINE HOLES! I was playing as a 6 that night. He shot a 49. The next week, I played a 17 handicap who shot 47. Tough to win against those numbers.

Arguably, the multitudes of 20-plus-handicap hacks should be teeing the opposite direction of the blues: off the seniors tees. When the handicap gets to 15 off the golds, then they can start to progress backward.

Yes, definitely frustrating

As of this spring (I just turned 62 today and had a back surgery five years ago, restricting my flexibility) and I now play under 6,000 yards. I'm out there for fun and relaxation, not to cause frustration and worry about what anyone thinks. The day golf ceases to be fun, is the day I stop playing.

I played a 22 handicap in a league I sub in a couple of weeks ago. That's 22 FOR NINE HOLES! I was playing as a 6 that night. He shot a 49. The next week, I played a 17 handicap who shot 47. Tough to win against those numbers.

A 22 for nine holes takes some serious work!?

We finished our ESPN pass tour by playing Fowlers Mill this morning. We teed off at 8:38, a foursome let us through on 4, and we headed out of the parking lot by 11:00. What a tough course! I struggled around the greens and with my putter. Putting on those greens was quite a challenge. That being said, I enjoyed playing the course, especially with male 11's. If the weather cooperates, I will be headed out to Sleepy Hollow the next three days, before returning to the salt mines.

Finally knocked off one of my Northeast Ohio bucket courses with GreyHawk in LeGrange the other day. Had the day off on a beautiful fall Monday. The course was in AMAZING shape for late October. Couldn't believe it. Had a good time on a sunny day for a solid rate, 27$ for 18 and a cart. Love the island green #11 and not a lot of leaves for this time of year.