Recommend a Streaming Series

clarkgriswold

We all need solid series we can watch through the doldrums of winter. You get to pick one to recommend to us Yappi folk. Just one, and it can't be a layup like Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Wire or Deadwood. Have at it.

If you like somewhat-spooky but also a little funny sci-fi (e.g., Ghostbusters), Truth Seekers on Prime is good.

If you like more high brow sci-fi, Tales from the Loop (also on Prime).

I know that's two but those two are probably the most enjoyable "under the radar" series I've found this year

I watched a western series with Jeff Daniels as a pretty good bad guy. Forget the name, but the finale was among the best I’ve seen. Wasn't a series with seasons but rather a seven part movie.

Watching way too many Netflix and Amazon Prime lately.

I would give a thumbs up to Truth Seekers and Tales from the Loop. Both were good.

Watching this week: "Cursed" on Netflix. Pretty good show so far. On episode 5 now.

Watched in the last couple of months and would recommend.

My order of best to worst:
You - stalker guy. First season was great. Other season was good. My recommendation
Weeds - Widower turns to selling drugs. It was Breaking Bad before Breaking Bad.
Broadchurch - English detective show. With two Doctor Who's (one past/one present)
Travelers - time travel through body snatching.
The Sinner - Bill Pullman as a troubled detective. Really liked this one.
After Life - depressing and entertaining comedy about a guy who misses his dead wife.
Glitch - return from the dead from Australia.
Sabrina - darker version of the teenage witch.
Schitt'$ Creek - rich family loses almost everything. Beverly Hillbillies in reverse.
The End of the F*** World - teenage angst with a wannabe serial killer
The Feed - futuristic if social media could be built into your mind.
If I Hadn't Met You - time travel about different lives that could have been lived.
Russian Doll - Like Groundhog day, she relives the same day over and over.
The Society - HS kids in one town are the last people left in the world. Enjoyed the show but it needs a season 2 and I don't think there will be one.

I really like slowburn type of shows. Most of the shows I have listed could have been enjoyable two hour movies but were better with the slower pace.

Last edited:
If you like violence and mayhem placed on top of the super hero genre try The Boys on Prime.

Also don't discount watching a great series a couple more times. Since you know the story the 2nd or 3rd time around can be to watch the acting, directing, music etc... You be surprised how much more you see when not paying too closely to the story. Deadwood is great on multiple viewings as the language used is borderline Shakespearian and really interesting to focus on.

Cobra Kai on Netflix

The Mandalorian on Disney Plus

The Jeff Goldblum series on Disney Plus

The Right Stuff on Disney Plus

The Witcher on Netflix

Future Man on Hulu

The Flight Attendant on HBO has been ok

Glow on Netflix

Ozark on Netflix

The I-Land on Netflix has an interesting premise

Hear great things about Sense8 on Netflix. Same with Altered Carbon

Also don’t sleep on Netflix’s Stand Up Comedy section.

For THIS crowd, Sense8 will take a huge move to the left. Sense8 Season1 I enjoyed a lot. It was more about culture and human sensitivities. But apparently there was one character (who I enjoyed) who wasn't so into the multi-sex free love scenes they wanted to push and push and the biggest real world lbqer warrior who isn't much of an actor got that actor removed and replaced by one with no charisma. Season2 I never made it to the second episode.

I just finished Bodyguard on Netflix. 6 episode series about a Gulf War vet assigned to protect England's Home Minister. Terrorism, political intrigue. Very good all around.

On a completely different level, and no longer feeling the need to stick to 1, I've been watching Somebody Feed Phil on Netflix. The show follows "Everybody Loves Raymond" creator Phil Rosenthal as he travels the globe to take in local food and culture. Just describing makes me wonder why I like it, but it is actually quite enjoyable and amusing.

Cobra Kai on Netflix

The Mandalorian on Disney Plus

The Jeff Goldblum series on Disney Plus

The Right Stuff on Disney Plus

The Witcher on Netflix

Future Man on Hulu

The Flight Attendant on HBO has been ok

Glow on Netflix

Ozark on Netflix

The I-Land on Netflix has an interesting premise

Also don’t sleep on Netflix’s Stand Up Comedy section.
Ozark & Cobra Kai are pretty popular. First season of Altered Carbon is entertaining, second season blows

Mr. Iglesias Part 3 just came to netflix. I enjoyed the first two seasons so will start the third.

followin the rules... I think I learned that in Season 1. Or maybe it was rm 222. I get these teacher show lessons mixed up.

Would have said Person of Interest but Netflix pulled it last month. So with that and the dearth of comedies listed so far I will go with Kim's Convenience, a really funny sitcom about a Korean convenience store in Canada.

Would have said Person of Interest but Netflix pulled it last month. So with that and the dearth of comedies listed so far I will go with Kim's Convenience, a really funny sitcom about a Korean convenience store in Canada.

Kim's Convenience. Good stuff. One of my favorites.

Wayne- Amazon Prime

Watched an episode and a half now. A little Dexter vigilante in him. A little Coen Brothers feel to it. Interesting and entertaining..

Last edited:

Appa is now a pilot for the New Republic.

Kim's Convenience. Good stuff. One of my favorites.

Watched an episode and a half now. A little Dexter vigilante in him. A little Koen Brothers feel to it. Interesting and entertaining..
There’s a lot more to the show than the just the violence, which is why it’s so good.

I know that was an accident of quoting a quote but it would make a good last episode of Kim's Convenience. Kimchee offs that whole annoying family. Bonus if he took out that car rental manager.

Snowfall on FX app or Hulu. Great FX original series about the beginning of the cocaine/crack epidemic in the 80's. Multiple story lines that are all intertwined. Looking forward to the next season starting this spring.

Maybe it's time to restart a TV section on here. There are alot of good TV shows that I stream from Netflix and Amazon Prime. I would like to discuss these shows in more detail and with the spoiler feature on here, we could have some of those discussions. I would like to be able to keep track of all the shows that I watched and get ready for a new season.

Just started watching Pennyworth on Epix. It's not the "old" Pennyworth that was set in the 1920's, but now it's set in the 1950's with a lot of scenes from the earlier series.

The Leftovers on HBO. 3 seasons about what happens after 2% of the world's population disappears.

At this point, might be considered a layup given how it's viewed in hindsight, but I only just watched it last year

Eastisbest suggested I put this here:

Season 5 starts tonight so there's a lot of streaming available. It's based on a great series of books.

This is a great series. My only warning is that you be patient through the first 4 episodes of season 1 as it introduces a lot of characters and plot background. Stick with it, I think you'll be glad you did.

Eastisbest suggested I put this here:

Season 5 starts tonight so there's a lot of streaming available. It's based on a great series of books.

This is a great series. My only warning is that you be patient through the first 4 episodes of season 1 as it introduces a lot of characters and plot background. Stick with it, I think you'll be glad you did.

I'm only 15 minutes in and I'll say this,
1) I will miss Strathairn's character.
2) they're still letting the graphics dept have their fun. they find even more ways to make you feel you're in space. No one touches them IMO.
3) gonna take a bit to get my ear back for that accent. Turn on subtitles, lol.

So far fairly independent of whats gone on before. I wonder if they wrote it so someone could jump in Season 5 without problem.