Real Woods in Transfer Portal

bdhof

With Stanford dropping their wrestling program, #3 NCAA seed (behind Pletcher and Nick Lee) Real Woods has entered the transfer portal. This makes him a free agent. His only loss last year was to Pletcher (SV 3-1). Not sure where he ends up. Speculations on other threads have Princeton & and tOSU in the discussion. He's from NJ, so maybe RUT is in the picture. NJ just added SeaBass, so he'd probably need to go 149 there. tOSU is also crowded - maybe Sasso goes 157 and Echemendia goes 149. Teammate, Griffith at 165, also an NCAA 3 seed, has not entered the portal yet.

Coach Root

I'm pretty sure Real went to Montini (Illinois) and was originally from New Mexico. I could be wrong, but I don't think he's from Jersey.

Coach Root

bdhof

I'm pretty sure Real went to Montini (Illinois) and was originally from New Mexico. I could be wrong, but I don't think he's from Jersey.

Coach Root
You’re right, Coach. Raised in NM and went to Montini Catholic in Illinois.

bdhof

So the speculation in my original post had RUT, Princeton and tOSU in the hunt. RUT has been debunked by Coach Root due to fake news. Princeton got thrown in there just b/c Stanford guys are smart and Princeton guys are smart. And I'm pretty sure that the guy who threw tOSU in there is a tOSU fan. He also threw Griffith tOSU's way. Therefore, I'm declaring it an open battle for both Woods and Griffith. And Griffith, as of now, hasn't declared the portal route yet. I know there's some discussion that maybe Stanford comes up with new endowment $ and can keep the program. Griffith, thus far, has expressed that he is in shock and a state of confusion over the announcement. BTW, both are RS/SO w/ 3 years of eligibility.

Coach Root

I had read somewhere that Woods, may opt for the UFC, again, not sure of the veracity of the statement, but I read it somewhere. Ivy's cost money, and he's a blue chip recruit... My gut says Michigan, but Northwestern has an opening around that weight as well. Both schools are top notch educations which I would assume has to have been a factor. Penn is the hot new thing right now... pulling Hall and a handful of recruits, so don't rule them out if he stays Ivy.

bdhof

I had read somewhere that Woods, may opt for the UFC, again, not sure of the veracity of the statement, but I read it somewhere. Ivy's cost money, and he's a blue chip recruit... My gut says Michigan, but Northwestern has an opening around that weight as well. Both schools are top notch educations which I would assume has to have been a factor. Penn is the hot new thing right now... pulling Hall and a handful of recruits, so don't rule them out if he stays Ivy.
I'm not sure why he enters the portal if that is his plan. Altho, he could be just keeping all options on the table.

bdhof

ohio state is definitely in the Real Woods hunt. For sure.
If he lands in Columbus, and for the fun of it, let's put Griffith there too, 141-285 looks like 8 AAs and about 6 of those guys could be top 3ish (141-184). And I think Singletary is a wild card at 197. He was a great 220 in HS and did really well last fall in U23s at 97kg (213). And 197 is pretty open, with a lot of good guys but no really great guys. 285 is a much tougher weight class.

Last edited:

bdhof

If he lands in Columbus, and for the fun of it, let's put Griffith there too, 141-285 looks like 8 AAs and about 6 of those guys could be top 3ish (141-184). And I think Singletary is a wild card at 197. He was a great 220 in HS and did really well last fall in U23s at 79kg (213). And 197 is pretty open, with a lot of good guys but no really great guys. 285 is a much tougher weight class.
Here's my new tOSU lineup for 2021
125 Malik
133 Decatur
141 Woods
149 Echemendia
157 Sasso
165 Griffith
174 Kharch
184 Romero
197 Singletary
285 Orndorff

Yankeefan33

So I have no insight on anything, and I'm tired of watching Iran-Cuba matchups from 2011 so I'm hypothesizing, but if I was Penn State I would take a shot at Real Woods. He could go 141/149 opposite Nick Lee next year and would be a nice improvement over Verkleeren.

As for Shane Griffith, he should take a look at Virginia and (if Ivy is a choice) UPenn. Both would be pretty good spots for him I think.

half full

There is still hope Stanford can rally and keep wrestling.
I’m sure they already have the funds apart from endowment fund.
Look for ways to save Stanford wrestling, it going to become a thing helping programs.

Read on another forum that Woods is considering staying the year to wait and see if they save the program and he will also have his bachelor’s degree by then.
This will be his redshirt sophomore year, so I guess that means he'll have completed his bachelor's degree after three years? I know it can be done, but man, that is impressive for a D1 athlete at Stanford nonetheless.