Rank The Ten Best Teams In Your School's History

Worm02

I posted this on Facebook a few weeks back & I got a pretty good response from people here in Warren. Of course, a good part of those were from former football players who disagreed with me, but it all made for a great convo. I'm looking forward to hearing from other posters on this topic.

Warren G. Harding

10. 2004 (8-3): Not as loaded as the other teams on this list, but Mario Manningham’s heroics made this a very fun year. Roger Matlock, one of the most underrated quarterbacks in WGH history, threw for 1,370 yards & 14 TDs. There haven’t been many QBs in WGH history with those numbers in a single season. The 30-26 victory over Cleveland Glenville is one of the greatest games that I’ve ever witnessed.

9. 1962 (9-0-1): I have to believe that if it wasn’t for a tie against Mansfield in the season opener, this team would have won WGH’s first ever state title. Massillon owned the poll era (24 AP Poll titles), but the Tigers lost to WGH 20-7. For the season, the Panthers outscored their opponents 382-37. A couple days back, I saw Warren1st speak very highly of this team, so he would have a lot more info on them then I do. I can only go by the scores, and this group was pretty dominant.

8. 2006 (9-4, Region 1 Runner Up): After losing both starting quarterbacks within the first two weeks, this team had every reason to quit on the season. Somebody forgot to tell them that as they won 5 of their last 6 games to make the playoffs. Their victims included two teams that were nationally ranked at the time (Cleveland St. Ignatius & Lakewood St. Edward). If it were not for a loss to a pass happy Mentor squad, the next two weeks could have been pretty interesting.

7. 1998 (8-2): 1998 was the last season in which only 4 teams per region made the playoffs. In week 8, Canton McKinley came back in the 4th quarter to defeat WGH 20-16. WGH finished 5th in the final Region 1 standings. In week 14, Canton McKinley won the Division 1 state championship game by 23 points.

6. 2003 (11-1, Region 1 Quarter-Finalist): This team entered the season ranked as high as #4 in preseason national rankings. For 11 consecutive weeks, they lived up to the hype. They were a heavy favorite to win the Division 1 state title. They were ranked #2 in the country before being upset by Lakewood St. Edward in the second round of the playoffs. In week 15, St. Eds lost to Cincinnati Elder in the Division 1 state championship game.

5. 2001 (11-2, Region 1 Runner Up): Having Maurice Clarett, the 2001 USA Today Offensive Player of the Year & “Mr. Football,” is enough for the hype by itself. One underrated fact about this team is that the defensive starters didn’t get scored on until week 6. In week 2, they gave Cincinnati Moeller their worst loss in school history (55-0). For the season, they scored the most points in WGH history (547) while only giving up 163 points. This season is “the one that got away.”

4. 2002 (14-1, Division 1 State Runner Up): In reality, 2001 was a more dominant team, but 2002 just knew how to win games. Eight of their fifteen games were decided by 7 points or less, but if the clock didn’t read “0:00,” you couldn’t take your foot off the gas on this group of Raiders. Just ask Lakewood St. Edward, who held a 16-15 lead over WGH with 0:19 left. With the St. Eds student section chanting, “OVERATED,” quarterback Mike Kokal threw a 47 yard bomb to then-sophomore Mario Manningham. After a spiked ball, Joe Spain entered the game and kicked a 39 yard field goal to send the Eagles home devastated. Cincinnati Elder’s 21-19 victory over WGH in the state title game still stings, but it didn’t take away from the fact that 2002 was a magical season.

3. 1974 (10-1, Class AAA Champions): They say that football players today are bigger, stronger, and faster than they’ve ever been. While that may be true as a whole, the overall team speed of the 1974 Panthers was something that’s rarely seen at the high school level. Despite the fact that opposing teams knew that WGH was going to run the ball, that didn’t stop them from compiling a school record 3,673 rushing yards in just 12 games. Their 33 point victory over Upper Arlington in week 12 is the 3rd largest blowout in the history of the Class AAA/Division 1 state championship game.

2. 1971 (10-0, Class AAA AP Poll Champs): Many fans say that “AP Poll titles weren’t won on the field,” but I beg to differ. I wasn’t around in 1971, but I know enough about the old days to know that WGH paid heavy dues back then. A football schedule that includes programs the likes of Massillon, Canton McKinley, and Steubenville would be extremely difficult today, but that was even more the case in the 70’s, not to mention that Warren Western Reserve & Niles were both state powerhouses back then as well. In 1971, WGH outscored those five opponents 114-33 and for the season, they outscored all ten of their opponents 322-41. The greatest teams shine in the biggest moments. The ’71 Panthers did just that.

1. 1990 (14-0, Division 1 State Champs): From 1988 to 1995, Cleveland St. Ignatius won 7 state titles. The only one that they didn’t win in that time span was in 1990, which as we know, was won by WGH. Speaking of “Iggy,” it’s highly debatable that if it wasn’t for them, Warren Western Reserve would have closed the book on their proud football history with a state title in 1989. Once the “westsiders” came over to WGH & joined forces with players the likes of Omar Provitt, Chancey Coleman, and Gary Aceto (I had to shout out my boy Aceto, lol), the ingredients for a state takeover were in place. As if it wasn’t enough that the wide receiver trio of “TKO” (short for Thomas Teco Powell, Kendall Richardson, and Omar Provitt) provided many nightmares for opposing defenses, the massive offensive line provided holes that you could drive a truck through. Did I mention that Myron Elzy was a 6’5, 260 pound was the starting fullback? It was all bad for the rest of Ohio in ’90. Long-time fans of Cincinnati Princeton are still having nightmares about Provitt’s performance in the state championship game.

Steubenville Big Red (and these are strictly my own opinions):

1994 This was the best team Big Red ever had but also the unluckiest. During the regular season, we murdered Boardman 37-14 the week after they gave Ignatius their only loss of the season. Iggy ended up state champs in Div I and was ranked 15th in the country in USA Today. Many people thought Big Red had the best team in any division in Ohio that year. We were cruising along until we came to the semifinal game against undefeated West Branch. Early in the second quarter, Big Red was up 21-0 and it seemed like we would win that game and the championship game the following week for sure. To this day I don't know what happened. The wheels came off the wagon. From that point, we could do no right and they could do no wrong. It came down to an onsides kick. West Branch had not even been able to do it in practice. Naturally when they tried it against us, it worked perfectly. They got the ball back late in the game and scored. We got the ball with seconds left and drove for a tying field goal. The ball sailed right over the upright and was called no good. West Branch won 31-28 and won the following week. It was the worst defeat in Big Red's history.

1930 Undefeated, untied, and un-scored-upon. Named state champ.

2005 15-0 and state champ.

2006 15-0 and state champ.

1951 9-1 UPI state champ. Big Red had the three guys who later starred at Iowa, including Calvin Jones, 2-time AA and Outland Trophy winner.

1984 13-0 and state champ.

I'll let someone else fill in the rest.

1997 state and national champs
1934 state and national champs
1981 state champs and national runners-up
1955 state champs
1956 state champs
1894 state champs
4 more out of our other 6 state championship teams- your call.

My McKinley top ten
1- tie
1934 (11-0) state/national champion
1997 (14-0) state/national champion
3-
1981 (13-0) state champion
4-
1920 (8-0) state champion/unscored on
5-
1956 (10-0) state champion
6-
1974 (9-1)
7-
1998 (12-1) state champion
8-
1955 (10-0) state champion
9-
1944 (9-1) state champion
10-
1964 (9-1)

Last edited:
1. 2007 state final four, brunswicks never produced a class as skilled as this one i know they didnt make it to state but i believe they wouldve beat the 95 team had they played. They led mentor at half in the state semis but mentor came back that second half and shut them down unfortunetly

2. 1995 state runner up, myskewycz picked defenses apart all yesr but they fell short to a very good ignatius squad in the state championship game

3. 1996 regional finals lost to canton mckinley

4. 1987 regional finals lost to sandusky

5. 2004 regional finals lost to canton mckinley

6. 2006 lost to canton mckinley second round

7. 2003 they were 3 points away from a regional final appaearance as the lost to st. Johns 9-7

8. 1999 this team got knocked out first round by a touchdown by boardman but they had potential to make it so much further if they wouldve won

9. 1976 9-1 dominated everyone on the schedule but lost to mass jackson by 1 point

10. 2001 9-2 lost a very hard fought game to canton mckinley 14-7

Yes we got knocked out by canton mckinley a lot lol. 0-5 all time

Just going by what I have seen since the mid 90's.

1. 2006- Lost by 1 pt to Hilliard Davidson in 2 OT in the state title game. Only other loss was to St Ignatius. Bart Tanski was a great quarterback
2. 2003-Lost in OT to St Eds in a regional final
3. 2011-Lost to St Ignatius by 6 in a regional final
4. 2007-Lost in the state final to St Xavier in a blowout shutout but at least they got there.
5. 2002-Lost a good game to Warren Harding in a regional final
6. 2012-Got to the final 4 so many will have them higher, but this is the worst Mentor defense I have ever seen. Trubisky and the WR's got hot and were able to be almost perfect to beat Eds/Ignatius back to back in the playoffs. Shame that the D was so bad because even an average D probably wins a state title.

The other 4 (and maybe 1 or 2 other spots) are before I watched them weekly or was even born. 1968 (10-0/beat Massillon 19-0/finished #2 in AP) would be one for sure. 1966 would be another.

At Dover the players picked the "Best Team" in School's History. Is this year, I'll go with that kind of attitude any day of the week.

Don't know how to measure best but the Most successful team was last years.

1. 2007 state final four, brunswicks never produced a class as skilled as this one i know they didnt make it to state but i believe they wouldve beat the 95 team had they played. They led mentor at half in the state semis but mentor came back that second half and shut them down unfortunetly

2. 1995 state runner up, myskewycz picked defenses apart all yesr but they fell short to a very good ignatius squad in the state championship game

7. 2003 they were 3 points away from a regional final appaearance as the lost to st. Johns 9-7

8. 1999 this team got knocked out first round by a touchdown by boardman but they had potential to make it so much further if they wouldve won

9. 1976 9-1 dominated everyone on the schedule but lost to mass jackson by 1 point

we are 1-1 against Glen Oak and 1-0 against Hoover!
so we are 2-6 against canton schools combined!

My McKinley top ten
1- tie
1934 (11-0) state/national champion
1997 (14-0) state/national champion
3-
1981 (13-0) state champion
4-
1920 (8-0) state champion/unscored on
5-
1956 (10-0) state champio
6-
1974 (9-1)
7-
1998 (12-1) state champion
8-
1955 (10-0) state champion
9-
1944 (9-1) state champion
10-
1964 (9-1)

I like those 1964 and 1974 McKinley teams the best.;)

Avon Eagles

1. 2011 -- 13-2 (Lost D2 state final)
2. 1996 -- 12-1 (Lost D5 state semi)
3. 2008 -- 12-1 (Lost D3 regional final)
4. 2013 -- 11-2 (Lost D2 regional final)
5. 1986 -- 9-1 (missed playoffs by one spot, but great team)
6. 1980 -- 8-2-1 (upset 10-0 team in post-season conference championship game)
7. 2010 -- 10-1 (upset in First Round D2 playoffs)
8. 2004 -- 8-3 (lost first round D4 playoffs)

St. Ignatius

1. 1964 (10-0)...Brian Dowling revenge over Benny in the Charity Game. Twelve point win over Latin was the only relatively close game. Picked #1 because it was a mythical team, a great team and partly to irritate the youngsters.

2. 1993 (undefeated)...State champ, National Champ

3. 1995 (ditto)

4. 1988 (undefeated...first state championship)

5. 1989 (undefeated...state champ, national champ)

6. 1992 (undefeated...state champ)

7. 2001 (6-4, slip in, then a great playoff run, wins over Harding, Massillon and St. X, state champ)

8. 2008 (one loss to Glenville, state champ)

9. 1994 (undefeated, state champ)

10. 1973 (9-1, 1 point loss to St. Ed's)

I posted this on Facebook a few weeks back & I got a pretty good response from people here in Warren. Of course, a good part of those were from former football players who disagreed with me, but it all made for a great convo. I'm looking forward to hearing from other posters on this topic.

Warren G. Harding

10. 2004 (8-3): Not as loaded as the other teams on this list, but Mario Manningham’s heroics made this a very fun year. Roger Matlock, one of the most underrated quarterbacks in WGH history, threw for 1,370 yards & 14 TDs. There haven’t been many QBs in WGH history with those numbers in a single season. The 30-26 victory over Cleveland Glenville is one of the greatest games that I’ve ever witnessed.

9. 1962 (9-0-1): I have to believe that if it wasn’t for a tie against Mansfield in the season opener, this team would have won WGH’s first ever state title. Massillon owned the poll era (24 AP Poll titles), but the Tigers lost to WGH 20-7. For the season, the Panthers outscored their opponents 382-37. A couple days back, I saw Warren1st speak very highly of this team, so he would have a lot more info on them then I do. I can only go by the scores, and this group was pretty dominant.

8. 2006 (9-4, Region 1 Runner Up): After losing both starting quarterbacks within the first two weeks, this team had every reason to quit on the season. Somebody forgot to tell them that as they won 5 of their last 6 games to make the playoffs. Their victims included two teams that were nationally ranked at the time (Cleveland St. Ignatius & Lakewood St. Edward). If it were not for a loss to a pass happy Mentor squad, the next two weeks could have been pretty interesting.

7. 1998 (8-2): 1998 was the last season in which only 4 teams per region made the playoffs. In week 8, Canton McKinley came back in the 4th quarter to defeat WGH 20-16. WGH finished 5th in the final Region 1 standings. In week 14, Canton McKinley won the Division 1 state championship game by 23 points.

6. 2003 (11-1, Region 1 Quarter-Finalist): This team entered the season ranked as high as #4 in preseason national rankings. For 11 consecutive weeks, they lived up to the hype. They were a heavy favorite to win the Division 1 state title. They were ranked #2 in the country before being upset by Lakewood St. Edward in the second round of the playoffs. In week 15, St. Eds lost to Cincinnati Elder in the Division 1 state championship game.

5. 2001 (11-2, Region 1 Runner Up): Having Maurice Clarett, the 2001 USA Today Offensive Player of the Year & “Mr. Football,” is enough for the hype by itself. One underrated fact about this team is that the defensive starters didn’t get scored on until week 6. In week 2, they gave Cincinnati Moeller their worst loss in school history (55-0). For the season, they scored the most points in WGH history (547) while only giving up 163 points. This season is “the one that got away.”

4. 2002 (14-1, Division 1 State Runner Up): In reality, 2001 was a more dominant team, but 2002 just knew how to win games. Eight of their fifteen games were decided by 7 points or less, but if the clock didn’t read “0:00,” you couldn’t take your foot off the gas on this group of Raiders. Just ask Lakewood St. Edward, who held a 16-15 lead over WGH with 0:19 left. With the St. Eds student section chanting, “OVERATED,” quarterback Mike Kokal threw a 47 yard bomb to then-sophomore Mario Manningham. After a spiked ball, Joe Spain entered the game and kicked a 39 yard field goal to send the Eagles home devastated. Cincinnati Elder’s 21-19 victory over WGH in the state title game still stings, but it didn’t take away from the fact that 2002 was a magical season.

3. 1974 (10-1, Class AAA Champions): They say that football players today are bigger, stronger, and faster than they’ve ever been. While that may be true as a whole, the overall team speed of the 1974 Panthers was something that’s rarely seen at the high school level. Despite the fact that opposing teams knew that WGH was going to run the ball, that didn’t stop them from compiling a school record 3,673 rushing yards in just 12 games. Their 33 point victory over Upper Arlington in week 12 is the 3rd largest blowout in the history of the Class AAA/Division 1 state championship game.

2. 1971 (10-0, Class AAA AP Poll Champs): Many fans say that “AP Poll titles weren’t won on the field,” but I beg to differ. I wasn’t around in 1971, but I know enough about the old days to know that WGH paid heavy dues back then. A football schedule that includes programs the likes of Massillon, Canton McKinley, and Steubenville would be extremely difficult today, but that was even more the case in the 70’s, not to mention that Warren Western Reserve & Niles were both state powerhouses back then as well. In 1971, WGH outscored those five opponents 114-33 and for the season, they outscored all ten of their opponents 322-41. The greatest teams shine in the biggest moments. The ’71 Panthers did just that.

1. 1990 (14-0, Division 1 State Champs): From 1988 to 1995, Cleveland St. Ignatius won 7 state titles. The only one that they didn’t win in that time span was in 1990, which as we know, was won by WGH. Speaking of “Iggy,” it’s highly debatable that if it wasn’t for them, Warren Western Reserve would have closed the book on their proud football history with a state title in 1989. Once the “westsiders” came over to WGH & joined forces with players the likes of Omar Provitt, Chancey Coleman, and Gary Aceto (I had to shout out my boy Aceto, lol), the ingredients for a state takeover were in place. As if it wasn’t enough that the wide receiver trio of “TKO” (short for Thomas Teco Powell, Kendall Richardson, and Omar Provitt) provided many nightmares for opposing defenses, the massive offensive line provided holes that you could drive a truck through. Did I mention that Myron Elzy was a 6’5, 260 pound was the starting fullback? It was all bad for the rest of Ohio in ’90. Long-time fans of Cincinnati Princeton are still having nightmares about Provitt’s performance in the state championship game.

Worm - With all due respect to SVFB, the 1962 Warren Harding team should be ranked MUCH higher than they are.

Can't disagree too much with worm. I still shake my head about the '98 team. Would have loved to see Toles for a full season. Like Scipio, I go back and forth on 71 and 74. While being an old panther, the 72 WWR team was arguably better than all of them, but it does not fit this topic.

St. Ignatius

1. 1964 (10-0)...Brian Dowling revenge over Benny in the Charity Game. Twelve point win over Latin was the only relatively close game. Picked #1 because it was a mythical team, a great team and partly to irritate the youngsters.

3. 1995 (ditto)

7. 2001 (6-4, slip in, then a great playoff run, wins over Harding, Massillon and St. X, state champ)

Great list......I'd consider the 1997 team, which lost only to D1 Champion Canton McKinley twice (by 3 points and by 1 point); and the 1991 team, simply because of the come-from-behind wins in the semis and finals. However, the 1964 team will always be first on my list as well :)

St. Ignatius

3. 1995 (ditto)

Not to be picky, but I think you guys had to lose at least 1 game in 1994. ;)

Since it was 1 out of our only 3 wins against you guys, there's no way to forget it!

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...&dq=boardman ignatius pallante&pg=3425,141261

Canton McKinley is to Brunswick as St. Ignatius is to Strongsville.

I could post the top 10 Strongsville teams of all time, and pretty much all 10 would end with a loss to St. Ignatius.

BTW, put a * next to the 95 team. I remember them getting destroyed by Colerain in the semis, but Colerain having to forfeit due to using one player who was ruled to be ineligible. (I'm just giving you a hard time, that 95 team was very good, and state caliber.)

Not to be picky, but I think you guys had to lose at least 1 game in 1994. ;)

Since it was 1 out of our only 3 wins against you guys, there's no way to forget it!

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...&dq=boardman ignatius pallante&pg=3425,141261

Sorry about that...the memory fogs.

To correct that mistake properly...Boardman beat Ignatius 18-14 in 1994. Between the 1990 playoff loss to Fitch and a 1996 regular season loss to Lake Catholic, this 1994 loss to Boardman was Ignatius' only loss EXCEPT for two losses in 1991 that were due significantly to our QB being out with with an ankle sprain.

St. Francis DeSales

10. 1990 - 11-3 State Runner-up, CCL Champs
9. 1996 - 11-3 State Runner-up, CCL Champs, only losses to D1 St. John's and Moeller, and State Championship game
8. 2008 - 13-1, defeated Watterson twice
7. 1994 - 11-1 with one of the most prolific offenses DeSales has ever had, lost a heartbreaker in State Semifinal to one of Steubenville's greatest teams
6. 1964 - 7-0-1, 1st ever CCL Championship team, put DeSales football on the map
5. 1986 - 10-0, outscored opponents 221-56, but missed playoffs as undefeated defending State Champs, this team is the reason that DeSales beefed up its schedule from that point on
4. 1978 - undefeated 10-0 season with only 47 points given up
3. 1998 - State Champions, 13-1, only loss to D1 Westerville South
2. 1997 - State Champions, multiple D1 college players, gave up 6 points per game
1. 1985 - only undefeated State Championship team in our history

St. Francis DeSales

10. 1990 - 11-3 State Runner-up, CCL Champs
9. 1996 - 11-3 State Runner-up, CCL Champs, only losses to D1 St. John's and Moeller, and State Championship game
8. 2008 - 13-1, defeated Watterson twice
7. 1994 - 11-1 with one of the most prolific offenses DeSales has ever had, lost a heartbreaker in State Semifinal to one of Steubenville's greatest teams
6. 1964 - 7-0-1, 1st ever CCL Championship team, put DeSales football on the map
5. 1986 - 10-0, outscored opponents 221-56, but missed playoffs as undefeated defending State Champs, this team is the reason that DeSales beefed up its schedule from that point on
4. 1978 - undefeated 10-0 season with only 47 points given up
3. 1998 - State Champions, 13-1, only loss to D1 Westerville South
2. 1997 - State Champions, multiple D1 college players, gave up 6 points per game
1. 1985 - only undefeated State Championship team in our history

Nice resume!

Canton McKinley is to Brunswick as St. Ignatius is to Strongsville.

I could post the top 10 Strongsville teams of all time, and pretty much all 10 would end with a loss to St. Ignatius.

BTW, put a * next to the 95 team. I remember them getting destroyed by Colerain in the semis, but Colerain having to forfeit due to using one player who was ruled to be ineligible. (I'm just giving you a hard time, that 95 team was very good, and state caliber.)

That is true they made state by way of forfeit, but colerain was a national powerhouse that year i didnt expect brunswick to win that game. They hung around for a little bit in state with the to be national champions ignatius but they ended up getting beat by 20