Randy Moss vs. Jerry Rice

Poll

• Moss

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Rice

Votes: 18 81.8%

• Total voters

Rice. Even the best CB's struggled to slow him down back when you could really jam at the LOS and take someone's head off over the middle.

Loved Moss, especially in his Minny years. I had watched him many times on TV for Marshall and made him a very early pick for my fantasy football league in his rookie year, when most of my league-mates knew little of him. An incredible athlete and WR.

Very tough decision.

I go with Rice in a close call.

Rice

Moss not even in top 3 in my lifetime.

Rice
T.O.
AB
Calvin Johnson
Moss

Largent was before my time so I’m not including him but I suspect he would also be ahead of Moss
lol. you don't watch a lot of football im guessing.

jtk
()

lol. you don't watch a lot of football im guessing.

jtk
()

I based my list on past 30 years. You seriously don’t think the five I listed should be there??? Name me someone else from past 30 years who is better than the 5 I listed I’ll wait. And if you’re issue is me having Moss at #5 then I’m guessing you don’t watch much football lol

Moss was the most talented receiver of all time. But Rice was better.

AB is top 5 in the last 30 years? Marvin Harrison, Larry Fitz and Cris Carter have arguments for top 5 in the last 30 years with Jerry, Randy, TO and Calvin.

For a WR to lead the NFL in all time TD's when he played in an era where running the ball was paramount tells me all I need to know.

The folks that would vote for Randy Moss are the same people who voted for Shaq over Alcindor/Jabaar in the NCAA best college basketball player poll.

Moss was the better player in just about every way. He didn’t get to play in a rare passing offense during an era where running was the primary way to move the ball. He only played a few years with an elite QB. If he’d played with Brady most of his career this discussion would probably be laughable.

Moss’ biggest problem was his attitude. He’d stop trying at times if the team wasn’t playing well or his QB wasn’t finding him.

was was better than TO and AB for sure. i don't agree with crusaders much but he is spot on. im not sure how moss isn't 1 or 2 on anyones list.

jtk
()

Rice by a lot. Don’t know if we’ll ever see a receiver with the ability to track down a deep ball like Moss again but Rice was superior in almost every way. And the fact that he did it for so long at a position that isn’t meant for players to have long careers...

Nearly all of Rice's numbers, which include some not so great late career numbers, are better than Moss's. The only number I can find where Moss is superior is touchdowns per game, at .71 versus .65. Rice also was a 13-time Pro Bowler and 10-time First-Team All-Pro. compared to Moss who was a Six-time Pro Bowler and four-time First-Team All-Pro. Rice was also a better teammate, causing no dissension or distractions.

Voted Moss because I am a Vikings homer and he's my favorite player ever, but also because Jerry Rice had Joe Montana and Steve Young throwing him the ball during his prime while Moss had these guys. In 2007 with the Pats Moss caught 23 of of Brady's 50 pass TDs

If I was trying to win championships with a strong team, give me Rice all day. Huge talent, great route-runner and hands, speed, work-ethic, consistency, solid teammate. If you are asking who was the better player and athlete, probably Moss. Complete freak of nature. But I want Rice on my team.

If I was trying to win championships with a strong team, give me Rice all day. Huge talent, great route-runner and hands, speed, work-ethic, consistency, solid teammate. If you are asking who was the better player and athlete, probably Moss. Complete freak of nature. But I want Rice on my team.
That’s how I feel about it as well. If I want to win, the safer pick is Rice for the reasons you articulated. Which makes Rice the unquestioned greatest imo.

Last edited:
I've indicated I'd vote for Rice, but with 5 seconds left and having to get the ball in the end zone I am having it thrown up to Moss.

Rice, not even close, and if it was, integrity and class would easily push him over the top. We'll never see a receiver like Rice again. He has 41 more Touchdown receptions than the #2 person, which happens to be Rice.
Rice could be surly at times, but he was never disrespectful to the game or other players. Moss was/ is a punk.

Rice, not even close, and if it was, integrity and class would easily push him over the top. We'll never see a receiver like Rice again. He has 41 more Touchdown receptions than the #2 person, which happens to be Rice.
Rice could be surly at times, but he was never disrespectful to the game or other players. Moss was/ is a punk.
What’s amazing is I never knew Rice was number 1 AND number 2 on the td reception list! What a stud!

Last edited:

Amazed at how guys are able to rehabilitate their reputations. Moss is a media darling now on EPSN. Ray Lewis, ARod...

Integrity and class can go to hell

I just want to know how he ended up at Marshall.
Its not a secret, in fact it is a well known story. You clearly have the internet, so you must not want to know too badly.

Moss was from WV. Signed letter intent at Notre Dame as one of the top HS players in the nation. Got in a fight (possibly racial in nature) in HS and was charged with misdemeanor assault. ND backed off, he enrolled at Florida State and had to redshirt due to late transfer and LOI. During red shirt, and while on probation, busted for smoking marijuana. Probation violation got him dismissed from FSU. Marshall scooped him up.

Rice

Moss not even in top 3 in my lifetime.

Rice
T.O.
AB
Calvin Johnson
Moss

Largent was before my time so I’m not including him but I suspect he would also be ahead of Moss
It’s conceivable that the Lions wasted the careers of the most talented running back and wideout of all time with Sanders and Megatron.

Its not a secret, in fact it is a well known story. You clearly have the internet, so you must not want to know too badly.

Moss was from WV. Signed letter intent at Notre Dame as one of the top HS players in the nation. Got in a fight (possibly racial in nature) in HS and was charged with misdemeanor assault. ND backed off, he enrolled at Florida State and had to redshirt due to late transfer and LOI. During red shirt, and while on probation, busted for smoking marijuana. Probation violation got him dismissed from FSU. Marshall scooped him up.

LOL While your snarkiness is noted, i did end up googling right after.

I was like 6 when he was at Marshall so I had no idea. Got to looking at past Marshall teams from that era and they really had some good players.

I had to laugh at ND recommending Bowden

Last edited: