Random Thoughts and Musings From Suburbia....

Body Politics: Sarah Palin's Body Language And Why It Should Worry You

Here's an interesting article from The Huffington Post:

Since our last post, we've been asked many times to comment on Sarah Palin's mannerisms. Her Body-Talk is not as blatant as her running mate, probably because she has a background as a performer in beauty pageants and television. She has learned to conceal the smirks and clenches that play so openly across the countenance of John McCain.

In our work we call body language the Five Flags, because there are five major ways human beings react when they're not speaking the authentic truth. Twitches and jaw-clenches are examples of Flag #1, Body-Flags. To understand Sarah Palin, though, you need to understand Flags #2 and #3, Voice-Flags and Attitude-Flags. The English word 'personality' comes from two Latin words, per and sona, "through sound." The Romans knew that the personality comes through in the tone of voice and other vocal aspects.

From thirty-five years of clinical experience, we can tell you a lot about Sarah Palin's real personality and why it makes many people even more nervous that John McCain's.

Attitude-Flag #1: The Aggressive Confidence Of The Con-Person

Sarah Palin has mastered one fundamental requirement of a Republican president: she can smile and look you directly in the eye while telling an outrageous lie. At least when John McCain lies, his body screams his discomfort by putting on an eye-catching display of twitches, phony smiles and robot moves. McCain's body language is so strange that it's easily observable; he appears to be operated by a puppeteer who is a couple of triple-espressos over the line. That's a good thing, though. We'd much rather have a presidential candidate who reads like a comic book when he's lying than one who conceals those whoppers under a grin and a wink. Sarah Palin belts out her deceptions and distractions with a radiant confidence we usually only see in sociopaths and infomercial pitch-persons. The last public figure we saw who could grin and lie with that kind of sunny confidence was O. J. Simpson.

Voice-Flag #1: The Exaggerated Folksiness Of The Huckster

Our partisan colors may peek through subtly from time to time, but we do our best to be non-partisan lie-catchers. We cringed when Bill Clinton did his famous "I did not have sex..." line. We immediately looked at each other and said "uh-oh," because his body language let us know loud and clear that he did indeed have sex with "that woman." About ten minutes after Clinton's declaration, our phone started ringing from producers of talk shows wanting us to comment on Clinton's body language. They knew they'd seen something, but they couldn't figure out exactly what.

More recently, we cringed when we heard Sarah Palin start using more of those pseudo-folksy expressions such as "You betcha" and "doggone-it." She was droppin' so many g's on-stage at last week's debate that the janitorial staff may have had to work over-time pickin' 'em up, by gum. The last eight years have taught us all a sobering lesson: you don't have to be smart to be the President of the United States. However, we hope that America is smart enough to see Palin's exaggerated folksiness for what it is, a cheap trick to cozy up to us so they can sell us four more years of Bush Lite. We hope America will hear those "You betchas" and send Mc Cain/Palin a message right back: Just because you pretend to be dumb and folksy, you don't automatically get to live in the White House.

Voice-Flag #2: The Metallic Shriek Of The Fear-Monger

To emphasize certain points, Sarah Palin takes her voice up the tone scale to a metallic shriek. This tone will be familiar to many of us: it's the voice your mother employed as a last resort to get you out of bed when you were a teenager. It's designed to scare you, to rake fingernails across your inner chalkboard. She often uses this voice when she first takes the stage at a rally. It works quite well there, because it cuts like a knife and jolts any of the faithful who might be dozing to sit up in their seats. We hope Americans are not so sleepy as to vote in favor of hearing this tone of voice for four years.

Here's the bottom line: The McCain/Palin campaign strategy is based entirely on stirring up fear. It's a classic way to distract people from thinking about real issues and to cover up the lack of any real solutions. Their thinking goes like this:

•If we can get people scared that Obama might secretly be a Muslim or a terrorist, maybe we can get them not to think about the real issues.

•If we can get people scared that Rev. Wright might turn the inaugural benediction into an anti-American rant, maybe we can get them to believe America's economic problems are just something cooked up by the elite media as a way to play "Gotcha" on poor Sarah and John.

•If we can scare people into thinking Barack HUSSEIN Obama is going to put Louis Farrakhan in charge of the annual White House Easter egg hunt, maybe people won't notice that we have absolutely no solutions to the real problems they face.

Barack Obama has so far opted to run a positive campaign based on hope and thoughtful solutions. It's our fervent desire that he continue to do so, because it's about time we turned our national attention to positive possibilities. Over the past eight years we've had enough fear-mongering to last a lifetime.

(Stay tuned! In our next post we'll look at two more important bits of body language that we all need to be paying attention to during the campaign. We've noticed these flags at play in both Joe Biden and John McCain, and they spell trouble for all of us.)

13webpalin_t575.jpg

Dear Tech Support......

Dear Tech Support:

Last year I upgraded from Girlfriend 7.0 to Wife 1.0 . I soon noticed that the new program began unexpected child processing that took up a lot of space and valuable resources.

In addition, Wife 1.0 installed itself into all other programs and now monitors all other system activities, such as Poker Night 10.3, Football 5.0, Going To The Pub 7.5, and Softball 3.6

I can't seem to keep Wife 1.0 in the background while attempting to run my other favorite applications. I'm thinking about going back to Girlfriend 7.0 , but the uninstall doesn't work on Wife 1.0 .

Please help!

Thanks,

Troubled User.....

Dear Troubled User:

This is a very common problem that men often complain about.

Many people upgrade from Girlfriend 7.0 to Wife 1.0, thinking that it is just a Utilities and Entertainment program. Wife 1.0 is an OPERATING SYSTEM and is designed by its Creator to run EVERYTHING !!! It is also impossible to deleteWife 1.0 and to return to Girlfriend 7.0 . It is impossible to uninstall, or purge, the program files from the system once installed.

You cannot go back to Girlfriend 7.0 because Wife 1.0 is designed to not allow this. Look in your Wife 1.0 manual under Warnings: Alimony-Child Support . I recommend that you keep Wife 1.0 and work on improving the situation. I suggest installing the background application Yes Dear 2.7 to alleviate your program problems.

The best course of action is to enter the command C:\APOLOGIZE! because ultimately you will have to give the APOLOGIZE command before the system will return to normal anyway.

Wife 1.0 is a great program, but it tends to be very high maintenance! Wife 1.0 does come with several support programs, such as Clean and Sweep 3.0 , Cook It 1.5 , and Do Bills 4.2 ..

However, be very careful how you use these programs . Improper use will cause the system to launch the program Nag Nag 9.5 Once this happens, the only way to improve the performance of Wife 1.0 is to purchase additional software. I recommend Flowers 2.1 and Diamonds 5.0 .

WARNING!!! DO NOT, under any circumstances, install Secretary With Short Skirt 3.3 . This application is not supported by Wife 1.0 and will cause irreversible damage to the operating system!

Best of luck,
Tech chu chin

"Live From New York.....It's Sarah Palin!"

Sarah Palin (the real one) did a guest stint on "Saturday Night Live" last night, showing up in two sketches including one with her SNL doppelganger Tina Fey.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/48fb813a9d0aeabf/48fb4189096595ae/b166baa7/-cpid/ebd058c0d763da8c/clipID/773761/video_title/Saturday+Night+Live+-+Gov.+Palin+Cold+Open?storeInPid=true" id="W4727a250e66f972348fb813a9d0aeabf" width="384" height="283"><param name="movie" value="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/48fb813a9d0aeabf/48fb4189096595ae/b166baa7/-cpid/ebd058c0d763da8c/clipID/773761/video_title/Saturday+Night+Live+-+Gov.+Palin+Cold+Open?storeInPid=true" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /></object>

The other night on Thursday, my oldest child, Caitlin, who is a senior at Jackson High School, was inducted into the National Honor Society! She was invited last year, but was out of town when they had the induction, and could not attend, so she got inducted this year instead.

She's worked SO hard all through high school to maintain a cumulative 4.7 GPA and when she graduates this June, she will graduate with honors, and will have gotten the Presidential Award, AP Spanish honors, AP Language Arts honors, AP Science honors, and some other thing that I can't remember, plus the National Honor Society honors. So you know those cords that the smart kids wear over their gowns at graduation? Caitlin will be wearing SIX of them!! I could not be more proud of her!

She plans on attending Ohio State University next fall and will be a pre-med major. She plans on attending medical school at OSU after receiving her bachelor's degree and then wants to become an anesthesiologist. She's wanted to be a doctor since she was 8 years old.

Anyways, as a parent, it's so cool to see your child succeed in life and realize their dreams. Caitlin has always been such a great kid and a hard worker and excellent student and I know she'll reach every goal she sets out of accomplish. I'm just incredibly proud to be her Mom and to see her grow up into such a responsible, caring, intelligent, funny and popular girl who everyone likes and who cares so much for her family and friends. I couldn't ask for a better child and it's been a complete pleasure to raise her and see her blossom into the woman she is today. She's just so incredibly amazing to me, and I couldn't possibly love her more than I do.

Sorry to get all sappy on you guys, but Caitlin is the first of my children to graduate from high school and it's so great to not only see her do well, but to exceed my expectations for her.

Below is a pic of me with Caitlin and her Dad, John. Our whole family attended her NHS ceremony, and it was cool for all of us to get to see her get her certificate and pin.

The other girl in the pic with Caitlin is her best friend, Jessica, who is also in NHS and will be attending OSU with her and will be Caitlin's college roommate. Jessica's father is a cardiologist and she will also be pre-med, along with Caitlin.

100_4363.jpg

100_4365.jpg

100_4368.jpg

100_4371.jpg

Last edited:
John McCain- Thinking on His Feet!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OG3T_L09GIc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OG3T_L09GIc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Trick or Treat!i

This past weekend, on Sunday afternoon, was Trick or Treat for our neighborhood. This was also the first time Jack was old enough to walk up to people's doors and knock on them himself and get candy! I got him the most adorable little devil costume from Halloween USA (GREAT store, btw, if you are looking for a good place for a costume next year), and he was SO incredibly cute in it!

My older son went as a pirate and my younger daughter was a fairy and her two friends came along with us. I went as Snow White again like I did last year, so I didn't have to go buy another costume. We had such a great time and the kids all got loads of candy. A few houses in my neighborhood were even handing out cocktails to the parents and candy for the kids! (I had a Margarita at one house and got a beer from another one, but I tossed it when I got home, as I never drink beer anymore.)

It was a fun time and after we finished, we all came back to my house and I made the kids a nice, toasty fire in the fireplace and we watched a scary movie and ordered pizza. I was just so thankful for being able to feel well enough to go out Trick or Treating with my kids since I'm still undergoing treatment for cancer. A lot of days, I'm just so tired and sick to my stomach, and it's tough to just take care of Jack's most basic needs, much less try to do any extra fun type things with him. Luckily, he's still so young and he doesn't need much to entertain him. Having my husband leave us and being a single Mom isn't easy or fun, but it's days like this one that keep me feeling positive about my life and keep me going. My kids are my entire world and I'm so grateful to have them in my life. If it weren't for them, I don't know how I'd be surviving everything that I'm going through right now. I thank God for them every single day. :)

So below are a few pics of Jack that I took while we were out Trick or Treating. I know some of you who read my blog get annoyed that I post so many pictures of my kids, but I'm just so proud of them and I love to show them off! Anyways- I hope all of you had a safe a happy Halloween if you already had yours, and if not, stay safe and have a great time!

100_4387.jpg

100_4388.jpg

100_4389.jpg

100_4390.jpg

100_4391.jpg

100_4392.jpg

100_4394.jpg

It's Break Up Song Break Time!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a_wd-n0wGQ8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a_wd-n0wGQ8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

These two songs have been on my iPod a lot lately......lol Enjoy! :D

To the left, to the left
To the left, to the left

Mmmm...
To the left, to the left
Everthing you own in the box to the left
In the closet, that's my stuff
Yes, if I bought then please don't touch (Don't touch)

And keep talkin' that mess that's fine
But could you walk and talk at the same time?
And, it's my name that's on that Jag
So remove your bags let me call you a cab

Standin' in the front yard tellin' me how I'm such a fool
Talkin' 'bout, I'll never ever find a man like you
You got me twisted

You must not know 'bout me
I could have another you in a minute,
Matter fact, he'll be here in a minute, baby
I could have another you by tomorrow
So don't you ever for a second get to thinkin'
You're irreplaceable

So go ahead and get gone, call up that chick,
And see if she's home
Oops, I bet you thought, that I didn't know,
What did you think, I was puttin' you out for?

Because you was untrue, rollin' her around in the car that I bought you
Baby drop them keys
Hurry up before your taxi leaves

Standin' in the front yard tellin' me how I'm such a fool
Talkin' 'bout, I'll never ever find a man like you
You got me twisted

I could have another you in a minute
You're irreplaceable

So since I'm not your everything
How about I'll be nothing, nothing at all to you?
Baby I won't shed a tear for you (I won't shed a tear)
I won't lose a wink of sleep (A wink of sleep)
'Cause the truth of the matter is
Replacing you is so easy, hey...

To the left, to the left
To the left, to the left
Mmmm...
To the left, to the left
Everything you own in the box to the left
To the left, to the left
Don't you ever for a second get to thinkin'
You're irreplaceable

(Baby hey yeah!)

Matter fact, he'll be here in a minute

You can pack all your bags we're finished (You must not know 'bout me)
'Cause you made your bed now lay in it (You must not know 'bout me)
Don't you ever for a second get to thinkin'
You're irreplaceable

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OeiFvP2o_g4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OeiFvP2o_g4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I woke up early this morning around 4am
With the moon shining bright as headlights on the interstate
I pulled the covers over my head and tried to catch some sleep
But thoughts of us kept keeping me awake
Ever since you found yourself in someone else's arms
I've been tryin' my best to get along
But that's OK
There's nothing left to say, but

Take your records, take your freedom
Take your memories I don't need 'em
Take your space and take your reasons
But you'll think of me
And take your cat and leave my sweater
'Cause we have nothing left to weather
In fact I'll feel a whole lot better
But you'll think of me, you'll think of me

I went out driving trying to clear my head
I tried to sweep out all the ruins that my emotions left
I guess I'm feeling just a little tired of this
And all the baggage that seems to still exist
It seems the only blessing I have left to my name
Is not knowing what we could have been
What we should have been
So

Take your records, take your freedom
Take your space and take your reasons
But you'll think of me
But you'll think of me

Someday I'm gonna run across your mind
Don't worry, I'll be fine
I'm gonna be alright
While you're sleeping with your pride
Wishing I could hold you tight
I'll be over you
And on with my life

So take your records, take your freedom
But you'll think of me

So take your records, take your freedom
Take your space and all your reasons
But you'll think of me
'Cause we got nothing left to weather
But you'll think of me, you'll think of me, yeah

And you're gonna think of me
Oh someday baby, someday

"WASSUP" - 2008 Version

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qq8Uc5BFogE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qq8Uc5BFogE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Barack Obama: The 50 facts you might not know.

• He collects Spider-Man and Conan the Barbarian comics

• He was known as "O'Bomber" at high school for his skill at basketball

• His name means "one who is blessed" in Swahili

• His favourite meal is wife Michelle's shrimp linguini

• He won a Grammy in 2006 for the audio version of his memoir, Dreams From My Father

• He is left-handed – the sixth post-war president to be left-handed

• He has read every Harry Potter book

• He owns a set of red boxing gloves autographed by Muhammad Ali

• He worked in a Baskin-Robbins ice cream shop as a teenager and now can't stand ice cream

• His favourite snacks are chocolate-peanut protein bars

• He ate dog meat, snake meat, and roasted grasshopper while living in Indonesia

• He can speak Spanish

• While on the campaign trail he refused to watch CNN and had sports channels on instead

• His favourite drink is black forest berry iced tea

• He promised Michelle he would quit smoking before running for president – he didn't

• He kept a pet ape called Tata while in Indonesia

• He can bench press an impressive 200lbs

• He was known as Barry until university when he asked to be addressed by his full name

• His favourite book is Moby-Dick by Herman Melville

• He visited Wokingham, Berks, in 1996 for the stag party of his half-sister's fiancé, but left when a stripper arrived

• His desk in his Senate office once belonged to Robert Kennedy

• He and Michelle made $4.2 million (£2.7 million) last year, with much coming from sales of his books

• His favourite films are Casablanca and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

• He carries a tiny Madonna and child statue and a bracelet belonging to a soldier in Iraq for good luck

• He applied to appear in a black pin-up calendar while at Harvard but was rejected by the all-female committee.

• His favourite music includes Miles Davis, Bob Dylan, Bach and The Fugees

• He took Michelle to see the Spike Lee film Do The Right Thing on their first date

• He enjoys playing Scrabble and poker

• He doesn't drink coffee and rarely drinks alcohol

• He would have liked to have been an architect if he were not a politician

• As a teenager he took drugs including marijuana and cocaine

• His daughters' ambitions are to go to Yale before becoming an actress (Malia, 10) and to sing and dance (Sasha, 7)

• He hates the youth trend for trousers which sag beneath the backside

• He repaid his student loan only four years ago after signing his book deal

• His house in Chicago has four fire places

• Daughter Malia's godmother is Jesse Jackson's daughter Santita

• He says his worst habit is constantly checking his BlackBerry

• He uses an Apple Mac laptop

• He drives a Ford Escape Hybrid, having ditched his gas-guzzling Chrysler 300

• He wears $1,500 (£952) Hart Schaffner Marx suits

• He owns four identical pairs of black size 11 shoes

• He has his hair cut once a week by his Chicago barber, Zariff, who charges $21 (£13)

• His favourite fictional television programmes are Mash and The Wire

• He was given the code name "Renegade" by his Secret Service handlers

• He was nicknamed "Bar" by his late grandmother

• He plans to install a basketball court in the White House grounds

• His favourite artist is Pablo Picasso

• His speciality as a cook is chilli

• He has said many of his friends in Indonesia were "street urchins"

• He keeps on his desk a carving of a wooden hand holding an egg, a Kenyan symbol of the fragility of life

• His late father was a senior economist for the Kenyan government

<embed src="http://services.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/1137883380" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1904770245&playerId=1137883380&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://console.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

I saw this on another site and thought it was worth posting on here. Enjoy. :)

Dear Red States:

We've decided we're leaving. We intend to form our own country, and we're taking the other Blue States with us. In case you aren't aware, that includes California, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois and all the Northeast. We believe this split will be beneficial to the nation, and especially to the people of the new country of New California.

To sum up briefly: You get Texas, Oklahoma and all the slave states. We get stem cell research and the best beaches. We get the Statue of Liberty. You get Dollywood. We get Intel and Microsoft. You get WorldCom. We get Harvard. You get Ole' Miss. We get 85 percent of America's venture capital and entrepreneurs. You get Alabama. We get two-thirds of the tax revenue, you get to make the red states pay their fair share.

Since our aggregate divorce rate is 22 percent lower than the Christian Coalition's, we get a bunch of happy families. Please be aware that New California will be pro-choice and anti-war, and we're going to want all our citizens back from Iraq at once. If you need people to fight, ask your evangelicals.

With the Blue States in hand, we will have firm control of 80 percent of the country's fresh water, more than 90 percent of the pineapple and lettuce, 92 percent of the nation's fresh fruit, 95 percent of America's quality wines (you can serve French wines at state dinners) 90 percent of all cheese, 90 percent of the high tech industry, most of the U.S. low-sulfur coal, all living redwoods, sequoias and condors, all the Ivy and Seven Sister schools plus Stanford, Cal Tech and MIT. With the Red States, on the other hand, you will have to cope with 88 percent of all obese Americans (and their projected health care costs), 92 percent of all U.S. mosquitoes, nearly 100 percent of the tornadoes, 90 percent of the hurricanes, 99 percent of all Southern Baptists, virtually 100 percent of all televangelists, Rush Limbaugh, Bob Jones University, Clemson and the University of Georgia. We get Hollywood and Yosemite, thank you.

Additionally, 38 percent of those in the Red states believe Jonah was actually swallowed by a whale, 62 percent believe life is sacred unless we're discussing the death penalty or gun laws, 44 percent say that evolution is only a theory, 53 percent that Saddam was involved in 9/11... and 61 percent of you crazy bastards believe you are people with higher morals then we lefties.

Finally, we're taking the good pot, too. You can have that dirt weed they grow in Mexico.

Peace out,

Blue States

Thought for the Day...or for the past six years.

"Don't Make Someone a Priority When All You Are is an Option."

Immersion

It is always funny to watch the facial expressions of people who become a little too immersed in their video games. Here is a video montage of some real classics. Check out the girl with the 1000-yard stare (who hopefully never learns to play poker), you will know her when you see her. :eek: Wheeee! I win!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3gu0iu0xwls&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3gu0iu0xwls&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Bear! Dog! Friends.

In case you haven't seen, these come via Tuco Rides:

Photographer Norbert Rosing planned to take some sunset photos of a group of sled dogs near Churchill, Manitoba, in northern Canada on the Hudson Bay, when from stage left comes a 1200 pound polar bear.

polar1.jpg

The dogs' owner thinks he's just about to lose his pack. The dogs, though, don't growl, but crouch down and bark and wag their tails as though they want to play.

polar2.jpg

The polar bear thinks, yeah, I want to play, too!

polar3_2.jpg

And it turns out that you don't have to weigh less than a thousand pounds to be gentle.

polar4_2.jpg

So the dogs say "You should come back and play some more."

polar5.jpg

The polar bear does. He comes back several times during the course of the next week to roughhouse with his little friends.

polar6.jpg

It's pretty wonderful, this planet we've been given to live on, isn't it?

Top 10 Foods of the '80's

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who remembers these....

10. Jawbreakers

Like spicy food, these dangerous, choke-inducing spheres inspired serious candy egos. Can you handle it? No, seriously, can you? And they came in a slew of sizes, depending on your tolerance. "Oh snap, he has the mega-breaker!"

9. The California Raisins

When the dried-fruit world creates their own pop sensation, big things happen. Shriveled-up grapes can become Motown rock stars! Maybe prunes were never in the right place at the right time, but raisins definitely were.

8. Cool Ranch Doritos

Before the 100-cal-packified era, the most popular snack in the Circle K was a turquoise-flecked triangular chip. With actual fat!

7. Tri-Color Pasta Salad

Pasta salads were hot in the '80s, especially in elbow, wagon wheel, and squiggly shapes, and shades of peach, pistachio, and normal-off-white-noodle. Toss them with canned olives and powdered salad dressing, and you were the most popular person at the potluck.

6. Orange Julius

Why don't Orange Julius stands exist anymore? Due to a corporate merger, they can actually be found in select Dairy Queens, seven of these are hiding in Singapore.

5. Equal

The first aspartame pixie dust sold to consumers, Equal may keep your thighs right for bike-shorts, but we worry about what its evil toxins will do to the rest of you. Maybe consumers weren't aware of the health risks in the '80s, but even now, it's so easy to justify that one little blue package. Especially in baby blue. Baby blue would never hurt us.

4. Artificially Flavored Fruit Snacks

Did you have one of the cool moms who bought you Fruit by the Foot, Gushers, or Fruit Roll-Ups? Mine didn't (she opted for real fruit) and is still paying the therapist bills.

3. Tab Cola

Tab, are you really just Diet Coke hiding in a fuchsia can? Why do you creep up on weird corners of grocery aisles? Since this soda catered to "beautiful people," Tab ran commercials where the sleek can made waifish girls irresistible to hot guys.

2. Lean Cuisine

It was the dawn of a low-fat gastronomical revolution. Scientists realized they could create "healthy" chicken teriyaki meals from sodium phosphates, modified cornstarch, high-fructose corn syrup, and caramel color. Launched in 1981, the zappable Lean Cuisines started with ten options; they now offer more than 100.

1. Capri Sun

Straw-stabbing styles got very personal with Capri Sun -- at the pouch's belly (risking a waterfall effect), at the bottom (for tricky upside-down enjoyment), or at the designated spot (for purists). Just don't stab straight through to the other side. Flavors more or less tasted the same -- a fruity "tropical" punch, with or without added kiwi strawberry syrups. First trademarked in Germany in the '50s, the pouches later became huge at soccer games and school lunches

Sad news out of Los Angeles

1950s pinup model Bettie Page dies in LA at 85

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Bettie Page, a 1950s pinup model who helped set the stage for the 1960s sexual revolution, has died. She was 85.

Her agent Mark Roesler says Page died Thursday night at a Los Angeles hospital after suffering a heart attack nine days ago. He says she never regained consciousness.

Page attracted national attention with magazine photographs of her sensuous figure in bikinis and see-through lingerie that were quickly tacked up on walls across the country. Her photos included a centerfold in the January 1955 issue of then-fledgling Playboy magazine, as well as controversial sadomasochistic poses.

Roesler says Page had been hospitalized for three weeks with pneumonia and was about to be released when she suffered the heart attack Dec. 2.

Bettie_Page_1.jpg

Bettie_Page3.jpg

1050255799_CMyDocumentsbbettie.jpg

Recession Laptop - about all the laptop that most Americans can afford these days.

Your laptop is back-hurty.

8420Redneck20Laptop.jpg

If Only He Wouldn't Have Ducked....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9uIj0YvDBKE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9uIj0YvDBKE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Fun, new song by Lady Sovereign- I Got You Dancing

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WkyAqxccU8M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WkyAqxccU8M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Creepy New John Lennon Ad

(From Yahoo Music: )

It may seem hard to believe in this era of ubiquitous commercial song placement, but when the Beatles' "Revolution" was used in a 1987 Nike ad, it caused a major uproar among Fab Four fans, who cried sellout.

However, more than two decades later, Paul McCartney is selling CDs at Starbucks, Ringo Starr is starring in commercials for everything from Pizza Hut to Oldsmobile, and logical Beatles successors Coldplay and U2 are shilling for iTunes. So a new beyond-the-grave ad starring John Lennon--while a little creepy--shouldn't create too much of a fuss in 2008.

Furthermore, the new ad is for the One Laptop Per Child Foundation, a charity organization that supplies solar-powered computers to the world's poorest children--so accusations of "selling out" are hardly appropriate here. It is a little disconcerting to hear Lennon's digitized voice say, "You can give a child a laptop," when laptops didn't even exist at the time of his death in 1980...but John's widow Yoko Ono granted the charity full permission to air this ad.

Sure, Yoko probably wouldn't want her husband's Scouse accent digitally recreated for, say, a Pizza Hut promo spot (sorry, Ringo). But obviously, and understandably, she believes the One Laptop Per Child Foundation is worthy of Lennon's legendary voice.

Granted, it's a somewhat robotic voice--specifically, archived bits of Lennon audio cobbled together via computer--but the overall effect is certainly a lot more tasteful than that time the late Fred Astaire waltzed with a vacuum cleaner during a controversial Super Bowl ad. Vacuuming is indeed a noble pursuit, but funding unprivileged children's education is definitely nobler, after all.

Watch the new One Laptop Per Child PSA here. It's John Lennon, and surely he would approve this message:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4b4GkGMiBDQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4b4GkGMiBDQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>