Ramos pins Lee in 125 lbs semis

In terms of NCAA, Gable-Owings probably the only bigger match. A three-time champ had never lost before. Gable being undefeated/finals match makes it slightly bigger in terms of shocking. Hopefully Spencer does the same as Gable and gives the Olympics a run.

That has to be the greatest big match, big moment pin in NCAA history. Match is right up there with Schultz/Banach, except that was in the finals. Love his Mom! Her motto is right up there with mine..."Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser!"

Last edited:
I’d say Darion Caldwell beating Brent Metcalf was bigger. Although skill wise Metcalf may have not been that far ahead; but no one saw him getting dominated the way he did!

Footnote: Caldwell had pinned Metcalf the previous year, And Metcalf tech falled Caldwell at the all star match.

In terms of NCAA, Gable-Owings probably the only bigger match. A three-time champ had never lost before. Gable being undefeated/finals match makes it slightly bigger in terms of shocking. Hopefully Spencer does the same as Gable and gives the Olympics a run.
As Gable didn't start wrestling until he was a sophomore, due to a rule, and lost his senior year, he was only a two time NCAA Champion.

As Gable didn't start wrestling until he was a sophomore, due to a rule, and lost his senior year, he was only a two time NCAA Champion.
I meant Spencer, I worded the post wrong. Actually not sure of too many two-timers who lost their juniors years either- Banach, IMar, Cenzo maybe?

Not as big as this, but McIravy also lost his junior year to Marianetti (sp?) in the finals after winning two. He would go on to win his Sr. Year, As already mentioned, Banach lost his jr year after winning two and won his sr year. I think Spencer was the only person going for his fourth not to get it, at least until Sammy pins Yanni tomorrow.

Imar lost his Jr. year after winning two. So did Cenzo. But I don't think their losses were as shocking.

BTW, D. Caldwell is way underappreciated. He has an impressive record of pinning folks. He pinned Metcalf, but I think he pinned about every other top competitor in his weight classes at least once too. May have pinned Schlatter, Palmer, Churella and others.

Spencer comes out of position. He is so strong g he has gotten away with it. Can't keep coming out of position.
Absolutely correct. There's A few matches this year that he put himself in precarious positions. It also appears he's usually out of gas after about 4 minutes of wrestling.

Spencer Lee did not look like Spencer Lee in this match. If I remember correctly, wasn't he also taken to his back briefly in the prior match as well (won 14-4 against Noto). I made a comment that he looked like a #33 seed for about 3 minutes in that match. Against Ramos - he seemed overly cautious about attacking on his feet - even after falling behind early from a take down and 2-pt near fall and escaping for a 4-1 deficit. From on top he got a turn and went up 5-4, but he still seemed tentative.

Don't know if he was having a problem with one of his knees and couldn't push off it. No idea. He won't make that excuse or talk about that possibility until the tourney is over. Just wonder if he will come out and go hard for third place finish.

Still one of my favorite wrestlers to watch over his career. Not many that have been nearly as dominant as he has been. Just didn't make it to the immortality level. But pretty close.

Lee came out like a wild man early in this tournament and looked unbeatable like usual. His last two matches he has looked like a shell of himself. He had a close quarter final match and got stuck in the semi. He looked uncharacteristically out of shape honestly. He is normally the aggressor for all three periods and imposes his will on his opponents. He looked very defensive the last two matches. I feel bad for him but his Mom gave us an all time classic moment. People will remember that as much as the pin.

The best match of the tournament was Mom vs Glasses.
Quickest DQ in history.
Started out harmless enough; but took a dark and sinister turn.
I had to look away from the carnage.
1679142831215.gif

? You have someone in mind...
Many people. Especially in big events where team points are irrelevant. Heavy title favorites who lose the title often fall into 3 categories in the consolation matches. 1) They mope and charade their way through, looking listless 2) They wrestle "mad." Not just angry, but downright hostile. Either way, it's not the them we know and enjoy watching...Or 3) they are somehow able to get over their loss much quicker than most of us and wrestle to "improve" their game. These are usually underclassmen, not seniors wrestling their final match. Just my experience as a longtime fan.

Many people. Especially in big events where team points are irrelevant. Heavy title favorites who lose the title often fall into 3 categories in the consolation matches. 1) They mope and charade their way through, looking listless 2) They wrestle "mad." Not just angry, but downright hostile. Either way, it's not the them we know and enjoy watching...Or 3) they are somehow able to get over their loss much quicker than most of us and wrestle to "improve" their game. These are usually underclassmen, not seniors wrestling their final match. Just my experience as a longtime fan.
As for Lee's Mom: Hey the Mom twisted up her glasses ...so what Big F deal, she was hurting for her son.

Spencer lee doesnt owe anybody anything, Team points were a non issue they weren't catching PSU. He nailed his previous losses pretty darn well, that was before 3 more knee surgeries. My guess is that there were plenty of discussions whether he would come back at all this year, people want to act like he had a "injury" big deal " are just stupid....5 knee surgeries, it was obvious his "movement" especially in neutral was no where near where he was when he schooled Tomasello as a TRUE freshman or Glory or Vito, or Suriano etc. I would be surprised if Lee stays in Iowa, I think there is a lot of tangibles we don't know especially about the decision to compete at all this season which may not put Brands in the best light concerning that decision. I hope Brands stands by his athlete when the dust settles, and even if he does we might see Lee coaching elsewhere.