Quinton Dove loses Rider offer - attending Tri-C

Bball216

The word is that former VASJ / Euclid forward Quinton Dove had his scholarship offer from Rider University pulled and is now attending Tri-C. The word from Euclid officials is that after he got his offer he started blowing off classes, homework and even a final. The recruiter found this out during his follow up visits and the school decided to pull the full ride offer. This should hopefully prove to be a learning experience for others who want to play in college that grades and work ethic matter. Schools can pull your offer just as fast as they give it to you. There is a lot more than just pure basketball ability that goes into getting a college scholarship. What a waste of talent. If this kid had the work ethic to match his God given ability the sky would be the limit. He will end up just another talented high school player that fell way short of his potential.

The word is that former VASJ / Euclid forward Quinton Dove had his scholarship offer from Rider University pulled and is now attending Tri-C. The word from Euclid officials is that after he got his offer he started blowing off classes, homework and even a final. The recruiter found this out during his follow up visits and the school decided to pull the full ride offer. This should hopefully prove to be a learning experience for others who want to play in college that grades and work ethic matter. Schools can pull your offer just as fast as they give it to you. There is a lot more than just pure basketball ability that goes into getting a college scholarship. What a waste of talent. If this kid had the work ethic to match his God given ability the sky would be the limit. He will end up just another talented high school player that fell way short of his potential.

You are writing him off awfully fast. Lots of guys have gone the JC route and had great careers. Dove has an opportunity to get his grades together and get back to the four year level but it is up to him. Maybe he will end up wasting it but there is still a lot of time to figure it out. I know of two guys from the same conference as Tri-C that just earned scholarships to four year schools at the ages of 24 and 25. Hopefully it doesn't take Dove that long to figure it out but life is too long to be writing kids off at 18. If people had given up on me at 18 who knows where I would have ended up.

Yeah I watched this kid play a couple of times and was shocked he had a D1 offer. Probably the best for all parties involved that he didnt go somewhere he wasnt capable of playing at.

BigWorm -

Having seen this player play for 4 years I can tell you he has the God given ability to play D1 basketball. He however lacks badly the motivation and work ethic needed on and off the court to do so. He scored 50 against Mentor this past year and played very well as a member of the VASJ JV squad. Had he stayed at VASJ and played in that program there is no doubt he would have had many D1 offers. People think VASJ is just a basketball factory - that is not the case. No matter how good you are on the court if you cannot make the grades (and he got TONS of help) you are out. His game did not improve at all in his one year at Euclid, in fact it regressed. He is a very well gifted basketball player but there is so much more to the game than just physical ability.

So this post isn't really about Dove, but more about how had he stayed at VASJ he would be playing D1 and have good grades???? bball216 can't not tell us in various ways how great VASJ is. This time it was done while degrading an 18 year old kid.

Not at all. The last thing he needed was a program or school without structure. He needed very badly the attention to grades and the higher standards in the classroom that a school like VASJ provided. If he could not succeed with all the help and efforts the teachers, classmates and teammates were trying to give him - there was zero chance of him doing at it Euclid. That is exactly what happened. This has zero to do with VASJ as they did very well without him. It just so happened that was the school he was attending prior to attending Euclid. Had he been at Benny, Iggy, Ed's, Lake, NDCL, etc he would have been better off - because of the structure and attention to grades. There is a reason why kids who leave those schools play right away when they go off to college. It's because they have the grades.

Dove was given so many tries at VASJ and he just could not put fourth the effort to stay eligible or to get his grades right. It's a horrible shame that a kid with that much talent has chosen to let it go to waste. This is more of a lesson for kids who think that because they are good at sports, nothing else matters. That might be the case at Euclid but that is not the case in the real world. Hopefully he will turn his life around at Tri-C but based on his track record he has a long road ahead of him.

So this post isn't really about Dove, but more about how had he stayed at VASJ he would be playing D1 and have good grades???? bball216 can't not tell us in various ways how great VASJ is. This time it was done while degrading an 18 year old kid.

Yeah he is a class act...always bashing and trolling on here:Ohno:

Too bad for this youngman. I hope it all works out and he balls out at the next level

stick to the band thread bruh:Ohno::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow:

I do understand what 216 is saying. They didn't exactly "coach him up" at Euclid. Dove or any other player.

In comparison Jaylan Harris transferred from VASJ after his freshman year because he wanted more playing time in basketball and a bigger stage to play on for football. He had a bit of a temper and attitude his freshman year at VASJ. He played one year under Rotsky at Cleveland Heights and still had some temper issues (on the field and off). Mac Stephens stepped in when Rotsky went over to Euclid - now Mr.Harris has big time D1 football offers. Mac was exactly what Jaylan needed. This has nothing to do with him leaving VASJ. I'm glad to see that Jaylan is straightened out and focused on a positive future.

Being surrounded by the right people and atmosphere is HUGE. Dove going to Euclid was about the worse thing that could have happened to him. Harris going to Heights ended up working very well for him.

Pretty sure Jaylen Harris had big time football offers after his sophomore season with Rotsky. If not offers, he was certainly on the radar of big time programs.

This whole thread seems to be in somewhat bad taste. Comes off as gloating at Dove. Best wishes to Quinton and hope he can use Tri-C as a launching pad for a bigger basketball stage if he so desires.

His scholarship was not "pulled". I would advise you to know the facts of the matter rather than beginning your thread with "The word". Dove did not pass through the NCAA Clearinghouse and thus he did not qualify for a Division 1 scholarship. A few other student-athletes in the area had to do the same thing. Seems like you have some sort of bias towards this kid and his situation. Instead of degrading him and basing your opinion on the "word", how about you take the same advice that you're trying to dish out and do your homework first.

His scholarship was not "pulled". I would advise you to know the facts of the matter rather than beginning your thread with "The word". Dove did not pass through the NCAA Clearinghouse and thus he did not qualify for a Division 1 scholarship. A few other student-athletes in the area had to do the same thing. Seems like you have some sort of bias towards this kid and his situation. Instead of degrading him and basing your opinion on the "word", how about you take the same advice that you're trying to dish out and do your homework first.
lmao, got him :thumb:

stick to the band thread bruh:Ohno::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow:

don't be on hear hatin on all these people my man bigworm. don't be mad cause my bro Q ball so hard. His jumper be slappin too.

The word I got was directly from his teachers at Euclid. You cannot get a better source than that. According to them once basketball season was over and he had his offer he did very little school work and blew off a final. Upon hearing this his contact from Rider rescinded the offer they extended to him.

Seems like Big Worm is the one hatin on here. I have no personal ax to grind other then the fact that he was wishing others failure and he ended up being the one that encountered bad luck. There is no doubt Q can hoop. Anybody who says he can't does not know a thing about hoops. If Q played for Harding Worm would be all over him. Is he limited a bit and a bit one dimensional - yes. I have not seen anybody else score 50 on Mentor and the whole defensive plan by Mentor was to stop Q.

This is just more about a kid who thought that once he got his D1 offer that the world stops. What you do on and off the court are equally important and as easy as you can get an offer you can lose one. Nobody is wishing the kid any ill will or failure. I hope he blows up at Tri-C. It's more about how these talented kids who have so much potential miss out on golden opportunities to better themselves. He is not the first and he will not be the last. There are high level players from all over NE Ohio that fall victim to this every year. Shame on Euclid coaching staff as well for not getting the kid on the right track. They were to busy patting him on the back during their 4 win season or their 75 point loss to Solon to give two craps about his future. They wanted Q at that school for one thing - to put the ball in the hoop, period. They are just as guilty as Q is for letting a wonderful offer like that to slip away.

"Q" would have struggled to get on the court at Warren. WH actually runs a scheme that requires some form of brain power and skill. How do you know so much about the teachers at Euclid? ANd you were in the Mentor locker room to hear their gameplan? What was the score of that game bro? Euclid had to have won by a lot if Mentor messed up their gameplan so badly

There is some hatred on here from 216 about the Euclid staff. Why is that? Clearly VASJ couldn't give him what he wanted so he left for greener pastures. I saw WH play this year and I think he could have potentially helped :shrug::shrug:

Zero hatred for the staff at Euclid - just stating the obvious that they did not do anything to prepare Q for the next step in his life. VASJ could have given him everything he wanted and then some, but unfortunately for Q attending VASJ requires good grades. It does not matter how good you are at putting the ball in the hoop, you need to have the classroom in line as well.

How do I know so much about the Euclid teachers - I do. Not only did I attend Euclid I know many people who have worked in the building a very long time. Q scored 50 against Mentor and Euclid lost. If you watched Euclid play last year there was only one player you had to worry about - Q. Nobody else on the team could really hurt you. If coached properly there was not a team in Ohio Q could not have helped. If he attended WH he would have absolutely started. I saw Q for three years at VASJ - he was as athletic and naturally gifted as anybody on the squads.

Heard Q had problems remembering the patent pending Flex offense that Coach Harris installed. He went rouge in that Mentor game trying to bring the ball up and playing a lot of ISO ball. If I remember that Mentor game I believe Coach Kriz drew up a plan to tire Q out and get him in foul trouble. I believe Q fouled out that game...Coach Kriz played Q like I play fat girls with daddy issues on a Saturday night

I saw Euclid a bunch last year and I did not see them execute anything. I saw a ton of standing around and tossing the ball into Q. If that is flex - that is what they ran. They lost to Solon by 75 points. Most schools could dress 5 kids walking the hallway and they would not lose by 75 points. Mentor did not have one kid on the squad that could stop Q when he decided to ball out.

The word I got was directly from his teachers at Euclid. You cannot get a better source than that. According to them once basketball season was over and he had his offer he did very little school work and blew off a final. Upon hearing this his contact from Rider rescinded the offer they extended to him.

Seems like Big Worm is the one hatin on here. I have no personal ax to grind other then the fact that he was wishing others failure and he ended up being the one that encountered bad luck. There is no doubt Q can hoop. Anybody who says he can't does not know a thing about hoops. If Q played for Harding Worm would be all over him. Is he limited a bit and a bit one dimensional - yes. I have not seen anybody else score 50 on Mentor and the whole defensive plan by Mentor was to stop Q.

This is just more about a kid who thought that once he got his D1 offer that the world stops. What you do on and off the court are equally important and as easy as you can get an offer you can lose one. Nobody is wishing the kid any ill will or failure. I hope he blows up at Tri-C. It's more about how these talented kids who have so much potential miss out on golden opportunities to better themselves. He is not the first and he will not be the last. There are high level players from all over NE Ohio that fall victim to this every year. Shame on Euclid coaching staff as well for not getting the kid on the right track. They were to busy patting him on the back during their 4 win season or their 75 point loss to Solon to give two craps about his future. They wanted Q at that school for one thing - to put the ball in the hoop, period. They are just as guilty as Q is for letting a wonderful offer like that to slip away.

If his scholarship was "pulled" then why didn't he choose to attend one of the handful of other programs that had extended scholarships his way? He did not qualify through the clearinghouse and that is all.