35' 8"
10.87m​
36' 6"
11.12m​
37' 10"
11.53m​
34' 4¼"
10.47m​

Look at the last 3 puts for these two ladies at the 2021 Mason district shot put. They are the same. I have a feeling a "glitch" happened here. Can you check your information as to what is correct?

I don't have the original papers to know what is correct but if I remember right (because I remember someone else asking same question) the official transposed the final marks for the wrong person onto finals columns. There is no way for us to correct this if that is what the official wrote down.

I don't have the original papers to know what is correct but if I remember right (because I remember someone else asking same question) the official transposed the final marks for the wrong person onto finals columns. There is no way for us to correct this if that is what the official wrote down.

Thank you.

I did a conference meet where there were two A. Martin's in the girls shot from different schools.

There was a tie that the field official signed off on. It determined the conference championship. My brother happened to be a coach for one of the teams. I sent the score sheets back to people 3 times as I knew there could not be a tie in the shot.

It was not like the throws were all the same throw for throw. One A. Martin would have a throw X for throw #1 and the other A. Martin would have the exact same mark, but for throw #5. They were all the same, but all different attempts. It was a tie.

There were a lot of things that went wrong that day and it ended up being a very long night. It was all done on a Friday after school.

The next day, I was going through all the paperwork and found a field score sheet that was not one of the official ones I had printed and sent out to the events. They had taken the official sheet and re-wrote it on their own form, used it and then transferred it all back to the original "official" form. When it came to A. Martin. They simply wrote the same marks down for both, but in different orders. The one A. Martin was throwing about 5 feet further than the other.

The other ironic thing is that once it was corrected and the correct points given to the correct competitors and teams, the team score ended up being a tie. (My Brother's team went from 2nd to tied for the Championship.)

Last edited:
I did a conference meet where there were two A. Martin's in the girls shot from different schools.

There was a tie that the field official signed off on. It determined the conference championship. My brother happened to be a coach for one of the teams. I sent the score sheets back to people 3 times as I knew there could not be a tie in the shot.

It was not like the throws were all the same throw for throw. One A. Martin would have a throw X for throw #1 and the other A. Martin would have the exact same mark, but for throw #5. They were all the same, but all different attempts. It was a tie.

There were a lot of things that went wrong that day and it ended up being a very long night. It was all done on a Friday after school.

The next day, I was going through all the paperwork and found a field score sheet that was not one of the official ones I had printed and sent out to the events. They had taken the official sheet and re-wrote it on their own form, used it and then transferred it all back to the original "official" form. When it came to A. Martin. They simply wrote the same marks down for both, but in different orders. The one A. Martin was throwing about 5 feet further than the other.

The other ironic thing is that once it was corrected and the correct points given to the correct competitors and teams, the team score ended up being a tie. (My Brother's team went from 2nd to tied for the Championship.)

Crazy situation. Lazy transcription by whomever.

Crazy situation. Lazy transcription by whomever.
We had a girl not qualify through to the Regional in the shot when her 34'+ throw was written down as 24'+. Every coach at the event was writing things down and the officials would not change it even though every coach there had written it down as s 34'+

We had a girl not qualify through to the Regional in the shot when her 34'+ throw was written down as 24'+. Every coach at the event was writing things down and the officials would not change it even though every coach there had written it down as s 34'+
That REEKS. I wouldve blown a gasket. INEXCUSABLE

Good lord. How long ago was this?

At the district meet a few years back, one of the officials got tangled up in the cables and took out the backup camera and then power to the timing truck. Because of this there was a missed time and mismatch of athletes and times. An athlete from another school who was clearly second in the heat and had a time to make finals was not in and an athlete that finished behind her made the finals. The other coaches involved in the heat (including myself AND the coach who athlete made it in to the finals via the mistake) helped her coach craft an appeal. Which was rejected because, the official told us, there was no rule requiring the results to be accurate and thus no rule on which to base a protest. (It became much more irritating when the referee told her coach "She wouldn't have made it to the regional so what's the big deal?")

A few years ago in 3200 at districts meet a team had their two boys running together get lapped by four runners. One of them stopped after 7 and other one ran an 8th lap. They scored them 5th and 6th. The coach of that team went and told them they wrong and they said the the two boys ran entire race together and the kid that ran 7 laps was 5th so the other kid had to be 6th. Glad it was 4 that lapped them not 3 otherwise a kid would have been screwed out of regionals.

Last edited:
Had 2 boys in the 3200 at districts a few years ago. They put them in the opposite order that they finished. After the meet, we asked an official to reverse their order of finish, and he asked, "How do you know that guy was in front of the other guy?" I said something, "We've been watching them for 4 years. We know what they look like." There was also the fact that the faster guy was consistently 40 seconds to 1 minute ahead of the other one all season.

These examples remind me of years gone by and the IDIOCY that saw on the part of officials that wouldn't know when to come in from the rain. There should be intelligence tests given to them as it is obvious that too many idiots manage to get officiating credentials but don't know a damned thing about the sport.

I believe it's more a personality trait than not knowing the sport. Nearly all my issues have been with officials that are on power trips and just are not capable of admitting a mistake or just think they are more important.
There's a whole lotta truth in that. Worst official I ever encountered was a replacement for a replacement at the 1993 Mountain State Games at Charleston WV. Complete psycho who ejected 4 people from one event (the javelin), including 2 coaches - one of which was the host school's (Marshall) assistant !!! I was one of the four ejected, but was reinstated by the meet director over the protestations of the psycho. Years ago, I wrote a multipage write-up of that day's events. The guy even called the cops & wanted me & possibly a few others arrested. I wasn't surprised to hear that months later at the WV state championship that his behavior there led to his permanent ouster from officiating in WV.