Question for Spartans and Spartan fans...

footballfan1100

I have been reading about a coaching change being made at Springfield. How "sure" is this change or is it just a rumor? I know I have heard some talk about a levy being mentioned.

Assuming this news of a change is true, what type of coach - i.e. background, expertise,etc.- will the AD be looking for? I read that some of you want a veteran head coach, but its hard to get a coach with Head experience to come to a struggling team (no disrespect meant!). Looking for your thoughts....

I have heard he was stepping down. I don't how true it is. Is that what you heard? As far as the levy is concerned I think it will hurt us, like it did before.

Levy failed, again.

Springfield Sports are doomed. Pay to play will be put into affect. From what I hear, Middle School sports will be eliminated.

Still no word on whether or not the current Football coach is staying or going. It will be very difficult to find a new, qualified person, to come into a failing program, and a failed Levy.

My advice to parents: Get your kids out while you can.

Irish87 said:
Levy failed, again.

Springfield Sports are doomed. Pay to play will be put into affect. From what I hear, Middle School sports will be eliminated.

Still no word on whether or not the current Football coach is staying or going. It will be very difficult to find a new, qualified person, to come into a failing program, and a failed Levy.

My advice to parents: Get your kids out while you can.

I have to agree. Not many parents are going to pay for their kid to play on a losing team, with coaching issues. It is truly sad that the people of Springfield continue to fail levys, and then wonder why their township and schools are imploding. My sister-in-law teaches at Springfield, and MANY teachers are looking to get the H out.

It's very sad for the kids and the community.

That's really too bad.
Pay-to-play hurts a lot, especially if numbers were already down. But what might hurt worse is if they do cut teachers again. The paper said they cut about a dozen last year, and another 20-something have to get cut now. That means no experienced coaches come in.
Even if they could find someone on staff, would anyone want to take this task on?

This is going to be an uphill battle for the NEXT coach! There will be a change from what I hear and it will be very difficult to fill the position since they will be cutting positions and unable to fill it with a new teacher. As a retired principal and coach, I wouldn't want to take on this tough task!

:laugh:

bigdevil

Do they look for a young coach? Or try to find a veteran? IMHO, I would go for a young guy, hungry for a head job. But, as you stated Bigdevil, the teaching job will be an issue....

well all i say is, i voted for the levy. sure i dont want to pay extra money, but what the heck. i spent more money in worse ways. besides its for the kids. education first then sports. springfield residents in a way screwed them selves as well as the kids.

A 10 million dollar Levy will never pass in Springfield Twnshp. The residents of the Twnshp, do not have the money, that people from other communities have. Take a look around, the homes are deteriorating and most cars being driven are "beaters". Sure there a few newer homes being built, but they are in the minority. Most people of the community can barely pay their Bills as it is. The past Levy is still in the peoples minds.

As for a new Head Coach for the Football Team:
First off, they have gone the young route the last 2 times. First with Murphy, and now Mazur. Young Coaches are not working. I still have no idea, why Mzur was hired. 23 years old and zero head coaching experience. What was Fowler thinking? Why not use him as an Assistant for a few years, till he gets his feet wet? To throw him to the wolves at the age of 23 was a mistake, and unfortunately, all the Players who played for him, suffered. They need someone with some HC experience. Someone who knows how to build a winning team. Someone who knows how to adjust to game situations, and knows how to motivate his players. Someone whos goals include helping his Athletes go on to College.

I will tell you this, that HS will not see any of my younger sons, when they are old enough. I feel horrible, for what my oldest had to endure there. I've got stories about this past season, that you would never believe would happen.

Private Schools are the way to go.

Irish87 said:
A 10 million dollar Levy will never pass in Springfield Twnshp. The residents of the Twnshp, do not have the money, that people from other communities have. Take a look around, the homes are deteriorating and most cars being driven are "beaters". Sure there a few newer homes being built, but they are in the minority. Most people of the community can barely pay their Bills as it is. The past Levy is still in the peoples minds.

First off, they have gone the young route the last 2 times. First with Murphy, and now Mazur. Young Coaches are not working. I still have no idea, why Mzur was hired. 23 years old and zero head coaching experience. What was Fowler thinking? Why not use him as an Assistant for a few years, till he gets his feet wet? To throw him to the wolves at the age of 23 was a mistake, and unfortunately, all the Players who played for him, suffered. They need someone with some HC experience. Someone who knows how to build a winning team. Someone who knows how to adjust to game situations, and knows how to motivate his players. Someone whos goals include helping his Athletes go on to College.

I will tell you this, that HS will not see any of my younger sons, when they are old enough. I feel horrible, for what my oldest had to endure there. I've got stories about this past season, that you would never believe would happen.

Why? Because of one bad coach? Public schools always do more with less money and less talent. Coventry isn't that much different than Springfield and I am very happy for my son there.

But it was not his inexperience that killed him it was his lack of maturity. Murphy is a far better coach, and he is currently a key assistant for Mogadore (who is still playing BTW).

He had a terrible staff this year as well. The freshman team won for like the fourth or fifth year in a row, and didn't you say the current seniors won the league when they were freshmen? You know you DON'T win a championship by accident. So promote the freshman staff. :shrug:

I see no way a veteran coach wants to come in and with no teaching job try to fix that program. (Although Springfield does love to hire retired people to keep working)--- Maybe that's the problem. Get some fresh minds in positions of importance and change everything- full steam ahead.

Find someone who loves kids, loves football, loves tradition, has discipline, has maturity and someone the kids can respect. If he's 25 or 55- God bless him. Good luck. Don't think the Comets won't be ready for you, we'll be back with some good kids so we will see you next fall!

Irish87 said:

I have to agree again with you Irish. I left Hoban half way through my senior year, to go to Springfield, so I have seen both. I will tell you this.

Hoban EXPECTS to win. Springfield HOPES to win. That attitude alone goes a long way. From the AD to the coaches, to the players, to the students, to the fans. I know St V and Walsh are the same way. Those programs are built to win. RARELY do you see a losing record in any sport at the private schools.

Ok. So they recruit. So be it. They are still kids being coached by adults. The difference is not only talent, but ATTITUDE.

After playing baseball, basketball, and football at Hoban for 3 years, I only played basketball at Springfield. There just didn't seem to be an urgency to win. And it seems that way now.

The community of Springfield has accepted losing, both in sports, and in the community.

well i have to disagree. i think people can afford the levy. the levy was set up, if you had for example a $100,000 home it would be around $300 a year. so lets see $300 a year compared to $3,000 a year for private school. is that a good business move? see this is the way it was last time. people who got cold feet and didnt want to stick it out left and went to private schools. then when the smoke cleared, they crawled back in. you are right irish87 some people can't afford it. some of these people are on some type of public or government assistance, and the twp has alot of people who rent. so what do they have to be concerned about other than their child is beign bussed to school and getting a good education. like i said i dont want to pay the extra money but my children still and will always go to springfield. do you think value of their homes are going to go up. nope ask a realitor, the buyer always asks how is the school system? these residents who voted it down dont care now, but wait till they try to sell their home if they ever do. all i have to say irish87, if you want to take your children to a private school, " don't let the door hit you were the good lord split you."

I'm not going to get into an argument about which is better, Private or Public. Everyone has their own opinions. I have a Private H.S. background. I played Football and Baseball during those 4 years, and I can tell you, there is no comparison between the Athletics between Springfield and St. V. I left my son at Springfield, because I thought the Schools were headed in the right direction. I also thought their Athletics were on track, to turn things around. There were some good teams coming through the ranks, which my son was a part of, that I thought would have succesful seasons. A levy passed at the time also, which gave me a sign, that good things were going to happen to the School system. As I watched over the years, and listened to some of the experiences my son went through for 4 years, I will never let another one of my children go through that. Its not the losing that I'm talking about either. Its the in between stuff that went on with the players discipline, its the coaching issues that my son endured, and its the all around attitude of the Schools about their Sports programs and students. Th2, hit it on the head, St V, Hoban and Walsh's all expect to win, Springfield doesn't care one way or another and it shows. Whether people want to believe it or not, there are many opportunities for Athletes to earn Athletic Scholarships going into College, but with the way the Springfiled Program is run, those opportunities are very scarce. The quality of Education is 10x's better at St V than at SHS and the opportunities after HS are far better at the Privates.

Listen, I'm not telling you(or anyone who may be reading this) that Privates are the best way to go. What I'm saying is, opportunites are far greater to go on to College, attending a Private HS, than attending Springfield, and, with the direction Springfield is headed, I think I'll take my chances with my next child(s) at a Private. If you can afford it, I say go.

well who is arguing? i dont care how you cut, dice it or slice it. if you send your kids to a private school for sports, you are still paying to play., but at a bigger price. so why not stay in your school system. if that was the case, every body would be doing it, just to get there kids noticed. look at harrison(hope i spelled his name wright) who went to coventy, then to kent and now pittsburgh. the mike vrabels are far and few between(who went to springfield). what i am saying stick to the program and stop running from the problems, and try to fix them. i see no need to circle the wagons, and panic. i know a family who sent their kids to walsh and were on the football team, and still sat on the side line. just think $4900 to sit the bench. its not greener on the other side.

Irish87 said:
The quality of Education is 10x's better at St V than at SHS and the opportunities after HS are far better at the Privates.

Listen, I'm not telling you(or anyone who may be reading this) that Privates are the best way to go. What I'm saying is, opportunites are far greater to go on to College, attending a Private HS, than attending Springfield, and, with the direction Springfield is headed, I think I'll take my chances with my next child(s) at a Private. If you can afford it, I say go.

EDUCATION is not 10x better at a "private" school. That's a slap in the face to public schools.
I just read an article THIS WEEK about 2 SHS boys who are brothers, one went to West Point and one went to the Naval Academy. They spoke very highly of their teachers and coaches.
You can not get into those schools without a great education.

My brother's son wrestled a few years ago against a Springfield kid who went to an Ivy league school to wrestle (I think it was Brown or Cornell).

Obviously, it's the FAMILY that matters most, not the school.

If your kid is a great student and a hard worker the opportunities are there for him at SHS or at STV or anywhere.

If your son is a good college prospect, especially at QB, the scouts will find him. It must have been tough for you and your son this year, but I am sure it would be a different story if we asked a basketball, baseball, or girls softball player from SHS.

I wish you the best of luck. I read in the paper today that the job is officially open. Good luck!

IMHO, if this job is truly open, I still believe a young coach is the way to go. I am not a Springfield fan, just voicing my overall opinion. Here's my take on things as an outsider....

- A veteran probably will not like the situation at SHS right now (based on what I have heard)

- Let a young, energetic coach come in a design a program, with a mix of young and veteran coaches.

- Bring in a fresh face! Get someone who is used to winning as an assistant, coordinator, or head coach (unlikely)

- I know people use the age of the last coach as a reason to not hire a young guy, but what was his experience before coaching at SHS? Experience must count!!

- IF they can get a solid veteran coach, go for it, its just my opinion that they will not be able to. But I could be wrong.

I would not agree with hiring a young coach with little or no experience, especially in a job at SHS - you do way more outside of the game as a head coach then you do on the field, young coaches should learn the system and devote their youthful exuberance ON the field and not be concerned about the media, paperwork, parents, etc. - let them be your assistants. The key is your assistants, and with Mazur he was often "told" who to have as assistants (many are community members which have little stake in the school, they can walk away after a bad year - Mazur still has to do a job if he resigns his coaching position) which sure as heck does not allow for good "chemistry" which a staff must have to be successful. It is funny to hear people talk about how much better they would do if they were coaching, then watch them flush the program down the toilet when given the chance. There are many issues in Springfield which attribute to the problems the sports teams face, but taking kids and running does not help the problem, if those students would stay in the district, they could be part of the solution and not part of the many problems. Not all of the programs look bleak, boys basketball had a revival last year and softball is always a stalwart among the girls programs. The bottom line is, the kids should be worried about their studies also - as mentioned by Shiloh there are many students from Springfield who have went on to excel after HS, a school/education is what you put into it - if a student puts their all into their studies, they will be successful; if a community invests their children and resources into a program (instead of running from the problems) the program can be successful. The community/parents of the mid-90s believed in the football program and those teams won; it just takes a little time and some growing pains.

thank god there is someone who agrees on what i think. sprag all i have say is dito. i dont believe in running from prolems. i think taking your kids and moving them to another school, is not the anwser. i have been in springfield since i graduated from there. i have seen some changes. i know what it was like to play for springfield. what i saw this year at the games was not what i normally saw in the past. we had games we won and we had games we lost, the difference is when we lost the team and attitude didn't disolve. i think something was going on with the kids not wanting to play anymore, along with kids who could of played at times to give some kids a brake who went both ways.

i also think the coach should of played under classman. if your season is a wash. what are you going to lose by playing them and getting them some experiance for the next seasons to come? i believe in surrounding yourself with good people. i went to school with three of those assistant coaches, and they aren't bad coaches nor bad people. i think the break down was with the head coaches inexperiances, and more important not able to connect with the kids.

I was not trying to turn this into a Private vs Public thread. If you read my posts below I am expressing my opinions, on mine and my sons experiences at Springfield. I agree with you, that you get out, what you put in. I do not argue that point. In fact, I made the statement earlier, that just because you go to privates, does not make you smarter than a public school person. The logic comes from my personal experience, and its hard to argue with a 99% graduation rate at St V. I'd be curious to see what Springfields is/was. Also, with the direction Springfields schools are headed, this gives me more reason to want to pull my kids. I know there are many kids that go on to College, that attended Springfield. I'm very happy for them. I hope they make the most of it. I'm just saying, in my opinion, the opportunities are far greater at being awarded a Scholarship, at St. V, Walsh, Hoban than Springfield(and there may be facts to back that up, but I don't have them). I will not comment any more on this. Its obvious that I am making some people upset, about expressing my opinions. I apologize to all that are offended.

Now, back to Football.
As far as playing underclassmen, I disagree with realSpartans comment(but doesn't mean I don't respect his opinion). Here are the facts. There were only 10 Seniors on the team. Two hardly played at all, and two others were injured half the season. That means, 16 of the other players starting, were Sophs or Juniors(keep in mind, there were only 26 kids on the Varsity team at the end of the year). I'd say thats a pretty young team. If your referring to Freshman playing, I couldn't see any more than maybe 1, being able help the team.

I do agree with the statement, about the Coaches being good people. They are good people. I just don't think the commitment that it takes to be a winner, was there, from all of them(players included). The lack of experience was evident also. When you have a head coach with very imited experience coaching(none before being hired 2 years ago) and your defensive Cooridinator who came from Youth football last year, its gonna show. I understand that you have start somehwhere, but my comment about lack of experience, has some clout.

State of Springfield

Hey guys. I haven't posted in awhile but saw some conversation about preference of education. I graduated in 2005 and tried to make the most of my time at Springfield High School. I was in the drama club and a member of the money-winning Academic Challenge team my junior and senior year (although our success can mostly be attributed to our captain, class valedictorian and student at the University of Oklahoma). I mention these things only to establish the fact that I was involved with the school and was generally a good student. But, I guarantee you that, barring a HUGE turnaround with the district, I will never put my children through Springfield schools.

Personally, I feel the academic opportunities presented to me didn't allow me to achieve my full potential. I now attend Kent State as an applied mathematics major, soon to be actuarial mathematics major. I always planned on attending a more prestigious university but procrastinated with college applications (not blaming that on Springfield, as it is obviously my own fault). But, in the end, I guess it might be better that I didn't attend a more difficult university. The transition from my high school mathematics courses (any detriment was due to the curriculum and definitely not the teacher, Mr. Wallace, who is one of the best teachers I've ever had) to college level courses was harder than I felt it should have been. Also, the lack of certain AP courses has required me to take classes in college I certainly felt I could have tested out of during high school. I know an engineering major who is having a greater amount of difficulty in college chemistry as a result of the poor advanced class offered at Springfield.

While I know most of the graduates of Springfield really don't encounter these issues, they're still areas where other school districts have no problems with. While I intend to keep my children in the public school district setting, there are tons of public schools out there that will do the job just fine. I love Springfield and wouldn't trade the experience for anything, but I don't want to establish an academic ceiling for my children that stems from the school district they attend instead of their own abilities. I intend to still support Springfield and hope to contribute financially, but have no desire to have my children experience it.

As far as football, I'm more than happy to see the resignation of John Mazur. While I feel much more needs to be done as far as cleaning house administratively (Ray Fowler predominately), this is a start. Hopefully we can get a coach that makes the $300 pay-to-play for these kids more than worth it. Just my two cents and I hope to read more peoples' thoughts about this subject in general.

P.S. SPRAG, are you on the newspaper staff?

Good post by KSU. I want to try and get some thoughts on the football aspect. Anybody you would want to see apply in Springfield for the H.C.?

Its going to be tough to find anybody, with decent credentials. Take into consideration, there were only 26 kids on the Varsity team, and pay to play going into effect next year. Would you want to leave your current Coaching position, and chance not even having a team Football Team to coach in 2007? In my opinion, it will be another up and coming coach, with very limited H.C. experience, if any, and that does not require a high paying Salary. Who knows, you may see Fowler down on the sidelines next year.:laugh:

I know their Baseball Coach, Bosco, was the Head Freshman Football coach a few years back. He was well liked by the players and parents, and was succesfull, but I think he had some issues with Mazur.

Another name is Vaugn from Ellet, but I highly doubt he'd come back. Bad timing for him, because I know he wants to be a HC in the near future, and he is a Teacher at Springhill.

As far as experienced Coaches go, I can't think of any.

In my opinion, they need to hire someone fast, so he can get started on his campaining to the kids, about turning the Program around.

And yet, another in-experienced, Springfield Alum, Youth Football coach(C-team).

Heck, maybe I should apply? I got roots in the Youth program.:Ohno:

Nothing against Joe, just think its the wrong direction.

I think you are going to be hard-pressed to find anyone with "experience" to take this job. I think if you get a guy who has coached for years in a program that has been successful, you give the guy a chance. If a guy has been in a program for 10-15 years and that program has been successful, success rubs off, and they can bring in the necessities to get the job started and hopefully see it through.

I don't think Murphy would come back. I'm pretty sure he left, not happy. Murphy was screwed if you ask me. He came into a situation, where the talent level was way down. The kids he coached, struggled at the Youth level also. In my opinion, he was not given enough time, try and build the Program. Mazur on the other hand, came into a situation, where his last years Seniors and Juniors, were succesful in Youth(making Playoffs), Junior High NBC League Champs and Freshman NBC League champs, and still only managed to win 3 games in 3 years.

I don't think Dilauro is a teacher. I know his wife is a grade school teacher at Springfield, but not sure about Joe.
A little background about Joe: He is an Alum of SHS, graduating in 87(I believe), went on to play Football at The University of Toledo as a Lineman, has been a Yout coach in Springfield for 2-3 years now, coaching 7,8 and 9 year olds.

Glaze, in my opinion, would not be a bad decision, but I don't think he would leave his position at Barberton, until he is thrown out.

i have to agree with you IRISH87. i think glaze would be our only and best coach at this time, for what springfield has to offer. if i am not mistaken i think his parents still live in the twp.