Question About Special Equipment (Refs?)

CoachHoversten

Hi All,

I was certified as an official a couple years ago and still don't know how to answer this question, so if anyone can help...

I coach MS scholastic wrestling. I have a kid who wants to wrestle (I don't have him in class so only communicating via email with mom) but he has an eye issue that requires protective wear. Ie, an accidental poke to the eye that would leave a normal kid rubbing his watery eye for a second might permanently damage his eyes.

I know that special equipment must be covered and/or approved, and certainly I would think any goggles or eye protection he needs would fall under "special equipment".

My question is, what kind of options does this kid have? His mom did some research and found a soft "half mask" that is only nose and up (as opposed to the bulky face mask kids wear with broken noses) but it has holes in the eyes and she wondered if she could get lenses custom made for it (like standard goggles are, not real glass).

I have coached for several years but never encountered a wrestler on my team or opposing team that had an obvious eye issue and needed something like this. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Not sure if it applies to the age group. But I remember watching Cael Sanderson a few years back and the gentle man he was wrestling had an aparent eye issue, he appeared to have some sort of sports eye wear very similar to what the swimmers wear(little bulkier)

Send your question to a rules interpreter. I'm sure they'd want some pictures to go with your question. I am struggling to envision what you're describing.