Purcell Marian to build football stadium

Just saw this headline but don't subscribe. Anybody got details on this? Where will it be?
From the photo caption:

"Purcell Marian High School...has purchased the former Gilligan Funeral Home on Woodburn Avenue to make way for an athletics stadium."

Is that enough real estate?

Last edited:
From the photo caption:

"Purcell Marian High School...has purchased the former Gilligan Funeral Home on Woodburn Avenue to make way for an athletics stadium."

Is that enough real estate?

for kicks I looked at google maps and it looked as though some houses beside and behind that funeral home were getting torn down so my guess is yes. Maybe it’s a stands on one side kind of deal?

for kicks I looked at google maps and it looked as though some houses beside and behind that funeral home were getting torn down so my guess is yes. Maybe it’s a stands on one side kind of deal?
According to the article, PM also purchased the home at 1619 De Sales Lane. The archdiocese already owns 1615 and 1621 De Sales Lane and 2994 Woodburn Ave. The area bounded in red in the attached image is approximately 2.1 acres according to Google Maps.

Attachments

• pm.png
    pm.png
    2 MB · Views: 201
That's great for Purcell. I've wondered for years why they never attempted to turn the field into a stadium. Excellent news for the school!

That area will have maybe the tightest cluster of football stadiums I can think of in a small geographical area....You will have Purcell Marian, Summit Country Day, Walnut Hills, and Withrow all right there within about a 2 mile stretch. That's pretty cool.

Where has Purcell been playing their home games before this? Only time I can remember seeing them play was against McNicholas and the game was at St. X.

they played games at the practice field?!
The Sheakley Athletics Center was used for lower division games that were part of the Crosstown Showdown for a few years. It has seating for 1200, a press box, lights, concession stand, etc. It's the home of UC's women's lacrosse team.

The stadium, known as the "Cavalier Project" would become the home venue for the football and soccer teams. Plans for the stadium do not include a track.

Plans include fan seating on one side; the school said it's too early to decide on name considerations at this point.

Purcell went undefeated (14-0) after it defeated Willoughby South 26-7 in the Division II state final Nov. 29, 1986 at Ohio Stadium.
Head Coach Herb Woeste was a no-nonsense guy. He preached mental and physical toughness. That was evident in practices on the hard surface of Eden Park, where the team used cones and barrels as markers and walked the field once every two weeks checking for broken glass.

Last edited:
Well played Lancermania. I believe that Purcell team gave the DI champ Fairfield HS their only loss that season as well.

they also beat a national ranked Moeller team! Very good coach and even better person! I got to know Coach Woeste when he was Athletic Director for Winton Woods

Purcell Marian announced today they received an $1 million pledge from Harry and Linda Fath;
The field complex, currently in the planning and development phase, In addition to Purcell Marian’s use for athletics and extracurricular activities, will be an asset to the broader Cincinnati community with plans for hosting soccer, football, and lacrosse teams and tournaments, and welcoming nearby students from St. Francis de Sales, whom they share a parking lot. Architects are MSA Design + MSA Sport.

Harry & Linda Fath Pledge Transformative $1 Million to Purcell Marian High School

stadium rendering
BE633265-5CDC-4F7E-89ED-AF1409B01F06.png

Last edited:
Where has Purcell been playing their home games before this? Only time I can remember seeing them play was against McNicholas and the game was at St. X.
I’ve seen them at Mariemont and Norwood. McNick played them at the UC bubble a few years ago.

While the 1986 Purcell team was very good, the 1949 undefeated Purcell team is considered better. Led by first-team all-state halfback Jim Bolger and a stifling defense that didn’t allow more than 12 points in any game and produced three shutouts, Purcell rolled through a 10-game schedule, winning the Greater Cincinnati League (now Greater Catholic League) championship and outscoring opponents by a combined 446-57

The Cavaliers practiced at Owls Nest Park in Walnut Hills on a field in a clearing surrounded by hills located less than a mile from Purcell’s Hackberry Street location

Purcell was the only team in the final AP Top Ten to finish 10-0, the Cavaliers finished just fourth in the poll. Massillon Washington was No. 1 with a 9-1 record. Purcell was ranked No. 1 by the Ohio Sports Writers Association and the Ohio High School Coaches Association, which dubbed them a “Dream Team.” Every member of the team was offered a college football scholarship

Our Fremont Ross Little Giants went 29-0-1 from 1955 through 1957. The first game of the 1958 season saw that unbeaten streak come to an end with a 12-0 to loss to Cincinnati Purcell and their QB, Roger Staubach.

210126_PMHS_Staubach_02_MSA-Sport-scaled.jpg
210126_PMHS_Staubach_01_MSA-Sport-scaled.jpg

Purcell Marian is going to name the Stadium after Roger Staubach, Construction starts in May. 5.3 million has raised, total cost 6 million. Opening in 2023

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sp...bachs-name-purcell-marian-stadium/9239426002/

Last edited: