Public School District Students to Private Schools

It should surprise no one in Cincinnati that Oak Hills leads the state in percentage of students in private schools or that Three Rivers (a neighboring Westside district) is also at 35%.

It’s smart to save that tuition $ for HS. Unfortunately saving 8 yrs of grade school tuition might not even cover 2 yrs of HS.

There are a couple rural school districts that are head scratchers. Dalton is in the middle of rural Wayne County, where does almost 50% of the kids go to grade school if not the public school? Is it Amish home schooling? On the flip side not 1 kid in Coldwater goes to a private grade school, same with Marion. Looks like those MAC schools have no comp when it comes to local privates...

There are a couple rural school districts that are head scratchers. Dalton is in the middle of rural Wayne County, where does almost 50% of the kids go to grade school if not the public school? Is it Amish home schooling? On the flip side not 1 kid in Coldwater goes to a private grade school, same with Marion. Looks like those MAC schools have no comp when it comes to local privates...

If not home schooled, they're most likely going to Central Christian in Kidron or Kingsway Christian which is south of Orrville just off Rt. 30. Kidron is part of the Dalton Local SD. It's unlikely, but any Catholics could make the short drive to St. Barbara's on the west end of Massillon, but there can't be many doing that since St. Barbara is a rather small school.

EDIT: The article finally opened for me. After seeing a few other districts that also have large Amish populations (Cardinal, East Holmes, Garaway, Southeast (Stark, Holmes, Wayne), and West Holmes), I would say Amish home schooling is the driving force behind the numbers in those districts. The numbers plummet in HS because many Amish do not attend school past age 14. Dalton has its share of Amish and Mennonite in its district.

Last edited:
It’s smart to save that tuition $ for HS. Unfortunately saving 8 yrs of grade school tuition might not even cover 2 yrs of HS.
My folks did the opposite. They sent us to Catholic school for the religious instruction through grades 6 or 8 and then to the public schools for the activities.

0% of Wyoming students went to private school for high school? Wow.

A bit surprised a renown public school system like Madeira had 20% of its high school students attend private.

As strong as Indian Hills schools are, I guess it’s not a surprise a lot of families send their kids to CCD, Seven Hills, Summit, etc. Quite a contrast from other high affluence communities like Wyoming and Mariemont that send very few kids to private schools.

What private high school are kids in Athens going to? I didn't realize there was a private school anywhere down there.

What private high school are kids in Athens going to? I didn't realize there was a private school anywhere down there.
This piqued my curiosity... I double-checked and there isn't a private high school in Athens County or any county bordering it. Athens School District shows 9.6% of kids attending private high school. From the article: "The estimates for private schools include children who are home schooled or attend any type of private school." Lots of University Professors home-schooling their kids I guess?

0% of Wyoming students went to private school for high school? Wow.

A bit surprised a renown public school system like Madeira had 20% of its high school students attend private.

As strong as Indian Hills schools are, I guess it’s not a surprise a lot of families send their kids to CCD, Seven Hills, Summit, etc. Quite a contrast from other high affluence communities like Wyoming and Mariemont that send very few kids to private schools.

Granddaughters live in Wyoming, attend a private school. The Wyoming property taxes are high and there is a school district income tax on top of it; that might have something to do with few attending private schools. Indian Hill actually has low property taxes, about 25% lower than next door Montgomery; not to mention it's city income tax is half of Montgomery's. It actually makes financial sense that if you are going to send someone to a private school, the townships in the Indian school district are a good place because of low property taxes and no income taxes.
I grew up in Madeira, about half the neighborhood attended private schools; school property tax is high; not as many attend private schools as they used to.

This piqued my curiosity... I double-checked and there isn't a private high school in Athens County or any county bordering it. Athens School District shows 9.6% of kids attending private high school. From the article: "The estimates for private schools include children who are home schooled or attend any type of private school." Lots of University Professors home-schooling their kids I guess?
Probably a lot of weirdo types in Athens.

Do digital academies or charter schools figure into this in some way?

Research indicates K-8 is much more important than HS.

I can only speak from personal experience, but I didn’t turn into a good student until I got to HS. It would’ve made absolutely no difference if I had gone to a decent public elementary/middle school instead of Catholic grade school.

I wonder if there's even been a survey of public high school teachers who send their kids to private schools. I think the results would be quite surprising to a lot of people.

I wonder if there's even been a survey of public high school teachers who send their kids to private schools. I think the results would be quite surprising to a lot of people.

I had a friend who was on a large city public district school board that sent his kids to a private. I was surprised he was never confronted with it.

I am assuming these number include charters, home schooling and internet educations.

My wife is a teacher in a N Ky elementary school. It is surprising. My guess is 50% maybe slightly more send there kids to privates. We did but we live in Cincy. Btw the principal is one of them I believe.

My wife is a teacher in a N Ky elementary school. It is surprising. My guess is 50% maybe slightly more send there kids to privates. We did but we live in Cincy. Btw the principal is one of them I believe.
It’s hard to really blame a kid for not wanting to go to the school where a parent teaches. It has to be awkward as hell.

It’s hard to really blame a kid for not wanting to go to the school where a parent teaches. It has to be awkward as hell.
Yes that’s a good point. Not all lived in the same district however. If I recall there were several parents that were teachers who sent the kids to the Catholic high school my kids attended. So it happens for whatever reason.

Teachers: yeah I am a great teacher and taxpayers should pay my salary but no chance in hell my kid is going to this school

Probably Tri County. It’s a vocational school in Nelsonville. Also Athens has small Dover Township in its district. It’s pretty poor so a lot probably home school. A lot of poor people home school since they get more welfare money. Most college professor’s from Ohio U send their kids to public Athens. I doubt too many educators would send their kids to private schools.

Last edited:
Probably Tri County. It’s a vocational school in Nelsonville. Also Athens has small Dover Township in its district. It’s pretty poor so a lot probably home school. A lot of poor people home school since they get more welfare money. Most college professor’s from Ohio U send their kids to public Athens.
Tri County isn't private though, I believe most vocational schools are public in the state. It must be the welfare aspect impacting homeschool rates... I didn't realize home-schooling increased welfare payments (noticed Trimble and other county schools had fairly high %'s also)

Tri County isn't private though, I believe most vocational schools are public in the state. It must be the welfare aspect impacting homeschool rates... I didn't realize home-schooling increased welfare payments (noticed Trimble and other county schools had fairly high %'s also)
I’d say it’s a very high percentage of very poor kids are homeschooled. I’ve never understood how that’s even legal.

I have long ago called Mercer county area Public Privates. They have the best of both. The schools in many communities are built right next to the church, so kids go over to the church for one period per day, then back to the public funded education system in their school. Parents get free private school courtesy of the state.

Why would anyone want to leave such a perfect setup? If you are opposed to your kid going to the Church, no problem, there are study halls for protestant or non religious kids. As a parent who sent my kids to a real private school complete with all the tuition payments, I am a tad bit jealous. Great communities and great kids from these public systems. Keep up the good work.

Why would anyone want to leave such a perfect setup? If you are opposed to your kid going to the Church, no problem, there are study halls for protestant or non religious kids. As a parent who sent my kids to a real private school complete with all the tuition payments, I am a tad bit jealous. Great communities and great kids from these public systems. Keep up the good work.

and this is a large reason we have objection to public funding for privately run schools. Those internal thoughts just popped out of your fingers there. But I think they are an honest reflection of the mindset behind these schools. To each their own, pay for it. smh

Open, lottery enroll it within a district (or not). Operate under the same scrutiny of ODE for a few years, not that there's great competency there but at least it will be equally mismanaged. Show accessibility. Show superiority and I'll gladly ask my tax dollars to go to that school.

There are a couple rural school districts that are head scratchers. Dalton is in the middle of rural Wayne County, where does almost 50% of the kids go to grade school if not the public school? Is it Amish home schooling?
If not home schooled, they're most likely going to Central Christian in Kidron or Kingsway Christian which is south of Orrville just off Rt. 30. Kidron is part of the Dalton Local SD. It's unlikely, but any Catholics could make the short drive to St. Barbara's on the west end of Massillon, but there can't be many doing that since St. Barbara is a rather small school.

EDIT: The article finally opened for me. After seeing a few other districts that also have large Amish populations (Cardinal, East Holmes, Garaway, Southeast (Stark, Holmes, Wayne), and West Holmes), I would say Amish home schooling is the driving force behind the numbers in those districts. The numbers plummet in HS because many Amish do not attend school past age 14. Dalton has its share of Amish and Mennonite in its district.
I sorted by the highest Grade School percentages. All the schools you mentioned are in the top 8:
3. Waynedale (Southeast Local) (57%)
4. Hiland (East Holmes) (56%)
5. Dalton (47%)
6. Garaway (46%)
8. West Holmes (36%)

What/where is Bloomfield-Mespo? Highest grade school percentage by far (71.4%) and 17th in high school percentage (26.9%).
On the flip side not 1 kid in Coldwater goes to a private grade school, same with Marion. Looks like those MAC schools have no comp when it comes to local privates...
I noticed that, too. But then you have Delphos, which has 2nd-highest high school percentage of 36.4% (Delphos St. John's, of course).

Is it any different than fathers coaching sons?

In theory, they’re basically the same. However, it’s seen as acceptable, if not required for coaches to be way more strict with their kids than other players. If you’re a teacher, you really can’t apply the same philosophy.

What/where is Bloomfield-Mespo? Highest grade school percentage by far (71.4%) and 17th in high school percentage (26.9%).

It's a very small rural District; they are located between Warren and Ashtabula. I want to say they have a large Amish population which would make sense for the 74% number.

By the way, there are a lot of similarities between the Amish and Orthodox Jews whose public districts are at the top of this lists. They live in insular communities, educate their children in religious affiliated schools, men rock massive beards, women show no skin plus cover their heads, they shun modern conveniences, have extremely large families, and could care less about what others think of their life style.

It's a very small rural District; they are located between Warren and Ashtabula. I want to say they have a large Amish population which would make sense for the 74% number.
Is that in the Pymatuning Valley/Andover area? My wife graduated from Conneaut, and my mother-in-law is a regular at a campground in Andover, so I'm somewhat familiar with the area. My wife always said she thought they had a lot of Amish in her area (and across the PA line), until she moved down here into good ol' Wayne County and got to see Holmes County up close. LoL

Ahh, I just looked it up... a little more off the state line. Just past the Portage Trail Conference territory but not quite to the border. Seems like no-man's land.

Last edited: