PTC Metro Preseason 2018

CoventryTrackXCguy

Alright, it is the July before the 2018 football season. As I open this thread, we are something like 8 weeks out from week 1, 5 weeks out from preseason. I suppose we can start talking about predictions, thoughts, etc for the 2018 football season.

1. Woodridge: Loses a lot, but has to be the favorite until they are beaten.
2. Ravenna: Should be improved, a couple of nice athletes return.
3. Coventry: Graduated a big class, but have some nice athletes as well.
4. Streetsboro: Coach Thompson will get the most out of his kids. May jump Coventry.
5. Cloverleaf: Slight progress, but nothing major.
6. Norton: New coach, they can never seem to stay healthy.
7. Springfield: New coach, not much to work with.
8. Field: New coach for the third year in a row. Doesn't seem to be much hope over there as of recent.

I would agree overall with Smashmouth. Woodridge belongs at the top until they get beaten. Ravenna will be strong as long as they stay healthy this time. Coventry graduates a lot...new blood will need to make its mark for this team to be successful. I think Streetsboro will struggle this year. Their blowout loss last year to Cloverleaf was pretty damning actually.Cloverleaf is better then they have been. Then Norton, Springfield and Field will be bottom dwellers as well.

Not entirely sure what are everything Coventry has coming back, but it looks like Rankin, Hinzman, Stover, Juersivich, Arnold, will be our main playmakers this season.

Last edited:
I would agree overall with Smashmouth. Woodridge belongs at the top until they get beaten. Ravenna will be strong as long as they stay healthy this time. Coventry graduates a lot...new blood will need to make its mark for this team to be successful. I think Streetsboro will struggle this year. Their blowout loss last year to Cloverleaf was pretty damning actually.Cloverleaf is better then they have been. Then Norton, Springfield and Field will be bottom dwellers as well.

Forgot about that Cloverleaf/Streetsboro score...that was surprising...

Believe it's been over 3 and a half years since Woodridge has lost a PTC game.
I suspect they've lost key players to graduation each of those years. Yet, they have managed to re load. This year they will have lost some very important 3 year contributors at some very important positions. The "cupboard" is certainly not bare however. The upcoming season should prove to be more challenging. But, unless other teams in the league can step it up, I see more of the same.

Woodridge decline starts this season.

I wouldn't count on that...they have already demonstrated an ability to reload that is rather unusual in a PTC school. Coventry and Ravenna are best off assuming that Woodridge will continue to bring the same kind of excellence that they have brought thus far, and not take them lightly because of some kind of "decline". At any rate, Coventry at this moment has far more pressing concerns than what Woodridge is doing...Coventry has its own graduation losses that they will need to rebuild from, otherwise, it wont matter to the Comets if Woodridge is indeed on the decline.

Woodridge loses some special players that can't be replaced. They are also returning a core of really good players. Most of the WR's, DB's and linemen from last years team return. This years team will be led by a pair of extremely skilled WR's that gave the entire PTC (and SVSM) fits last season and a trio of senior linemen who are multi year starters and all conference performers.

Most importantly, they have a well established system that the players begin learning from a young age. They are very well coached and players abilities are maximized.

Woodridge will likely face an uphill road in the non conference slate, but I fully expect they will be battle tested and ready to compete for a 4th straight league title by the time conference play comes around.

Going to try to take in my first Cloverleaf game.
Hoping it works out, where I can see them play either Filed or Norton.

So you’re looking to see a win?
More than likely both are wins, perhaps even Streetsboro.

Good to see the Colts end the streak last year.
This year should be Minerva.

:p

I’ll have to pick Woodridge as the favorites with Ravenna and Coventry rounding out the top three, while Norton will once again be towards the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to try to take in my first Cloverleaf game.
Hoping it works out, where I can see them play either Filed or Norton.

8/24 - at Canton South
8/31 - Keystone
9/7 - at Buckeye
9/14 - Coventry
9/21 - at Norton
9/28 - Woodridge
10/5 - at Springfield
10/12 - Ravenna
10/19 - at Field
10/26 - Streetsboro

8/24 - at Canton South
8/31 - Keystone
9/7 - at Buckeye
9/14 - Coventry
9/21 - at Norton
9/28 - Woodridge
10/5 - at Springfield
10/12 - Ravenna
10/19 - at Field
10/26 - Streetsboro

So tell us about that Cloverleaf-Streetsboro game last season. Im sure a lot of us are curious about that.

So tell us about that Cloverleaf-Streetsboro game last season. Im sure a lot of us are curious about that.

Just your standard beat down. I think it was Cloverleaf's night and the seniors wanted to end their dismal careers on a high note.

After all the beatings the 'Leaf has taken over the years, they will not hesitate to run up the score on somebody if they get the opportunity. Just returning the favor.

It was my understanding from the football insiders here on yappi that the PTC would be disbanded by now, or at the very least, CVCA would be in the league as a desperation move to salvage the Metro. What has happened? Mogadore was 100% gone and the County was dead. CVCA was already in. It was a done deal and it was just waiting for this season to be revealed. What gives?

It was my understanding from the football insiders here on yappi that the PTC would be disbanded by now, or at the very least, CVCA would be in the league as a desperation move to salvage the Metro. What has happened? Mogadore was 100% gone and the County was dead. CVCA was already in. It was a done deal and it was just waiting for this season to be revealed. What gives?

Sounds like a lot of fake news to me.

Not entirely sure what are everything Coventry has coming back, but it looks like Rankin, Hinzman, Stover, Juersivich, Arnold, will be our main playmakers this season.

The Comet offensive line will be good with Turner Mesko, Graham Evans, Ryan Mollohan, and new giant sophomore Kyler Barnett.

1. Woodridge: Loses a lot, but has to be the favorite until they are beaten.
2. Ravenna: Should be improved, a couple of nice athletes return.
3. Coventry: Graduated a big class, but have some nice athletes as well.
4. Streetsboro: Coach Thompson will get the most out of his kids. May jump Coventry.
5. Cloverleaf: Slight progress, but nothing major.
6. Norton: New coach, they can never seem to stay healthy.
7. Springfield: New coach, not much to work with.
8. Field: New coach for the third year in a row. Doesn't seem to be much hope over there as of recent.

Good observation/prediction. I agree. I believe Woodridge, Ravenna, and Coventry will be fielding the best teams this year. It will be interesting to see if the Bulldogs can maintain a fourth straight PTC Metro title. Cloverleaf, Norton, and Streetsboro will all be improved from a year ago. Even though Norton has a new coach, I believe they may be that cinderella team that can pull a few surprises. Cloverleaf as well, much improved and competitive now in this league. Streetsboro is well coached and has a strong tradition. Springfield and Field with new coaches are in rebuild. The Spartons, with one of the highest total enrollments of all the PTC Metro schools, lacks the talent this year. The Falcons have low numbers and didn't have enough players to support a JV team. Just four years ago (2014) Field was PTC Metro tri-champions with Ravenna and Crestwood.

Last edited: