PTC METRO girls basketball.

vettman

Who is the best team, hands down Ravena, If the injury bug doesnt get them they will cruise deep into the playoffs this year should be undeafeted easily in the league with Moe Moe healthy and D Gibson and M Gibson ready to roll for a great season. Lost one senior have the rest back.

Streetsboro, New to the Metro do not know enough to say how they will do but i do know last year in the County the games that they lost where by 5 points or less if they where young last year might be good.

Norton, lost a couple seniors that were good players will hurt alittle but got a good coach and good group of juniors ,the senior Krauss will be the scorer while Fortner and Cook will help lead the way, plus jv from last year were good.

Coventry, Lost two seniors and has only one senior this year has decent group of juniors but not the caliper of Norton or Ravena could be middle of pack , head coach doesnt seem to adjust well .

Crestwood, Suprised alot of teams last year with hustle and hard work they wont be as lucky this year as they fall towards the bottom.

Field ,With there outside shooting and Mortimer down low should be better than last year if shots fall , should be in top 5 of the metro.

Kent , always tough as long as Rice is on the floor at the point they should compete they always seem to find good replacments for past players

Springfield , Well they are rebuilding maybe the new school that they are building will help in a couple of years.

Ravena
Norton
Field
Kent
Coventry
Streetsboro
Crestwood
Springfield

My picks are:
Ravenna
Norton
Kent
Field
Streetsboro
Crestwood
Coventry
Springfield

The league should be stronger with Streetsboro replacing Southeast. I think the dark horse team will come from the middle three - Streetsboro, Crestwood or Field will produce at least one team with a breakout year and have a solid winning season. Crestwood and Field have new coaches.

Ravenna needs to stay healthy - yes , I know no team can afford to lose a starter but Ravenna's top players are so dominate that if they lose one it's a big hit. This is what happened last year when Moe Moe went down. DiAndra Gibson is the returning player of the year and has a verbal to Akron U.

Norton has the best depth, great athletes and gave Ravenna a very good game in summer play.

Kent has good talent returning plus a top freshmen scorer incoming.

Field has a very experienced coaching staff coming in and will have size.

Crestwood has a new coach and the top 8th graders moving up to freshmen - they won the PTC 8th tournament last season.

Streetsboro played well last year and will have their core back.

Coventry could join the middle of the pack if they get it together but right now they must prove they belong.

Springfield needs much more commitment to move out of the basement.

The new coaches are: Craig Nettleton at Field, who comes in with varsity experience and Brittany Mayle at Crestwood, who is in her first varsity coaching job also played for Crestwood and in college at Hiram. Best wishes to both of them.

Scores from yesterday:
Marlington 60
Streetsboro 20

Coventry 46
Southeast 39

Ravenna 46
Kenston 42

Crestwood 53
Rootstown 46

I heard that Manchester defeated Norton but I don't know the score.

Watched Manchester Norton yesterday and the score is closer than the game looked Manchester dominated most of game Norton looked out of sortes till fourth quarter, Kraus for Norton did not play so that hurt .

Thanks for the Norton score. I hope Kraus returns soon as she is one of the very best in the league. It is so hard for a team to be missing talent and still keep up the level of play. I saw that the Phillips girl from Crestwood had a big night as did both Gibson girls for Ravenna.

Very suprised with Ravena score thought they would blow Kenston out by 20 maybe first game jitters.
No surprise here, I expected a toss up game. It was at Kenston and they have a very good team - this was one of the few games where a healthy Ravenna team would be in jeopardy. I doubt anyone blows out Kenston this year in the regular season.

Jackson 60
Kent 44
Jackson took over the game in the 3rd quarter. Rice was nice for Kent but they did not show a lot of depth. Could have been the quality of the opponent. I still think Kent will be a force in the league.

Tallamdge 43
Streetsboro 36

Last edited:
Woodridge 71

Coventry 32

Wow, the Bulldogs looked like they were in mid season form or Coventrys win over Pirates was just luck but no contest here as Brooks from Woodridge made sure of that.

Interesting note - Kenston shook off the loss to Ravenna and took apart a decent Brush team 46 to 29. I think you can see why Ravenna's win was only by 4 points at Kenston.

Games from tonight -

Field 56
Waterloo 48

Kent 56
Revere 34

Ravenna 56
Mogadore 26

I have no results from Crestwood vs Garrettsville or Southeast vs Springfield

It seems that unless teams win they are not too interested in calling in the scores. Does that tell something about the coach? The players work hard and should get credit when it comes to seeing their names in the box scores IMHO.

Games from tonight -

Field 56
Waterloo 48

Kent 56
Revere 34

Ravenna 56
Mogadore 26

I have no results from Crestwood vs Garrettsville or Southeast vs Springfield

It seems that unless teams win they are not too interested in calling in the scores. Does that tell something about the coach? The players work hard and should get credit when it comes to seeing their names in the box scores IMHO.

crestwood-56
g'ville-31
phillips had another dbl/dbl - 14/12

Game from Wednesday:
Southeast 53
Springfield 34

From yesterday:
Field 41
Southeast 40
Southeast is looking much stronger than last season

Streetsboro 49
Garrettsville 29
Streetsboro has some good young talent

Magnificat 67
Norton 59
Kraus was back but Norton has a very hard schedule to start the season

Crestwood -47
Coventry-22

Crestwood all around good team there defense is the best part as they were winning 31- 5 at half played there varsity a couple minutes into the third than sat most of them down for night the Comets got some easy baskets in the fourth to make it look better than it was.

Ravenna 55
Norton 49 in overtime! It was a war. Kraus missed two foul shots with 7 seconds left to give Ravenna a chance in regulation. Malorie Gibson then hit two foul shots to send it into OT. Di Gibson fouled out but Malorie kept hitting foul shots in OT.

Kent 65
Field 30
Kent is no push over this year. Good balance tonight as they surprised Field. It looks like Crestwood could be in the mix, too.

Streetsboro 46
Springfield 27

Earlier this week
Springfiled beat Akron North 49 to 38

Last edited:
Should be interesting saturday very curious to see how Field and Streetboro do against good teams, Norton will beat Springfield easily for there first win and Kent will most likely beat Coventry .Ravenna in rout and Crestwood wins.

Kent 51
Coventry 37

The Comets had 43 turnovers against a tough team in Kent . Kent moved the ball well , The score probly would have been worse but the Kent starters didnt play much in fourth . Coventry is improved over last year but turnovers will cost you a game everytime.

Norton 52
Springfield 26
Norton needed this win to jump start their season.

Field 40
Crestwood 35
A bit of a surprise but Field did well after a tough loss to Kent

Ravenna 60
Streetsboro 17
Ravenna really flexed its muscle on the road.

Very suprised at the Field ,Crestwood score didnt think Field would be able to hang but maybe they are a good shooting team that had a bad night against Kent.

It's a tough call knowing if Ravenna is in the top ten of the Akron area. They haven't played their best ball yet, however they did come out ahead of Solon in a scrimmage and they are undefeated after barely beating Norton in OT. Within the next 4 to 5 weeks they will face Kent and a Norton rematch plus a tournament in Twinsburg which will pretty much tell us if they are for real.

Norton 64

Coventry 38
The coach at Coventry recently said in the suburbanite that his summer league team played well and he said the girls varsity team would be in the top four in the metro, REALLY ,the team hasnt even played Ravenna yet. I just watched a team play toghether and thats Norton. I give credit to the Coventry girls they play hard , i dont want to be one of those people who blame the coach but ..... The Comets will probly beat Streetsboro wednesday then comes Ravenna.

Last edited:
It's a tough call knowing if Ravenna is in the top ten of the Akron area. They haven't played their best ball yet, however they did come out ahead of Solon in a scrimmage and they are undefeated after barely beating Norton in OT. Within the next 4 to 5 weeks they will face Kent and a Norton rematch plus a tournament in Twinsburg which will pretty much tell us if they are for real.

Must be a weak bunch of girls teams this year if Ravenna is already ranked #8. That ranking must be reflective to their 2010-2011 Pool Championship. What a joke that is! They were lucky to get by Norton. Coach Miller went to his prevent defense and once again it didn't work. Press,press press!!