PTC County

Antonio Hall, he's whats changed. They keep it up they'll end up in DVI or DV. A couple of years ago they were on the brink of closing, they have decided to open the flood gates to stay open. That doesn't usually have the best results in the long run, ie Mooney.

Kind of in the same boat as JFK in those regards. All the DOY schools are in danger in my opinion and the Diocese should get a significant amount of blame for that.

Aquinas turned away 75 students last year and will likely turn away over 100 this year, so not really opening the flood gates to the extent you suggest. Aquinas and Canton Central Catholic are currently in pretty good hands with the Stark Catholic School's President, Gravo. I wouldn't worry about Aquinas.

BTW, JFK has about the same number of EdChoice students in its school as Aquinas. Canton Central Catholic will have a lot of EdChoice in the very near future since its two biggest feeders, St. Joan of Arc and St. Michael, now have large numbers of EdChoice students in their buildings and St. Barbara and Saints Phillip and James, two other Central feeders, will be the next two Catholic grade schools to close in Stark County.

I sure hope the hype about the STA team is accurate and hope there is actually a 2020 football season. Looking forward to the trip to Warren this season.

Last edited:
This is a reason I'm against the County division schools accepting these private schools all in to the league. Thinking either independent or try again to form a new league. But guess this is the only solution for now. Still think Garrettsville Garfield and Mantua Crestwood did back handed deals on the other Portage county league schools...

This is a reason I'm against the County division schools accepting these private schools all in to the league. Thinking either independent or try again to form a new league. But guess this is the only solution for now. Still think Garrettsville Garfield and Mantua Crestwood did back handed deals on the other Portage county league schools...
Have to agree with you.
Underhanded and devious.
You think you know people but you really don't.
Sad!

Kind of in the same boat as JFK in those regards. All the DOY schools are in danger in my opinion and the Diocese should get a significant amount of blame for that.

Aquinas turned away 75 students last year and will likely turn away over 100 this year, so not really opening the flood gates to the extent you suggest. Aquinas and Canton Central Catholic are currently in pretty good hands with the Stark Catholic School's President, Gravo. I wouldn't worry about Aquinas.

BTW, JFK has about the same number of EdChoice students in its school as Aquinas. Canton Central Catholic will have a lot of EdChoice in the very near future since its two biggest feeders, St. Joan of Arc and St. Michael, now have large numbers of EdChoice students in their buildings and St. Barbara and Saints Phillip and James, two other Central feeders, will be the next two Catholic grade schools to close in Stark County.

I sure hope the hype about the STA team is accurate and hope there is actually a 2020 football season. Looking forward to the trip to Warren this season.

You do realize that JFK is literally in the middle of Warren and some of their students actually walk or ride a bike to school. Not in the middle of a corn field 20 minutes from Canton.

You do realize that JFK is literally in the middle of Warren and some of their students actually walk or ride a bike to school. Not in the middle of a corn field 20 minutes from Canton.

? St. Thomas Aquinas High School is actually only about 3 miles from the Canton City limits and has always had kids from Canton since it opened in the 1960s. Get out a map and check it out. 3 minutes vs. 20 minutes is quite the exaggeration.

Last edited:
So the football alignment for the PTC County will be (until Lake Center Christian eventually creates a team)

Rootstown
Mogadore
Warren JFK
St. Thomas Aquinas
Southeast

Yep. Should be a great conference.
Won't take place until 2021. This fall will be:
Garrettsville Garfield, Mogadore, Rootstown and Southeast only. Mantua Crestwood and Youngstown Valley Christian leave. So only 3 LEAGUE GAMES this year. Mogadore gets all 3 at home as they played the 3 others away last year. As for Lake Center...they will probably never get football although they have the numbers.....

Won't take place until 2021. This fall will be:
Garrettsville Garfield, Mogadore, Rootstown and Southeast only. Mantua Crestwood and Youngstown Valley Christian leave. So only 3 LEAGUE GAMES this year. Mogadore gets all 3 at home as they played the 3 others away last year. As for Lake Center...they will probably never get football although they have the numbers.....
I know. I wish my son, who will be a senior, got to play in this league. I hope it stays together for a while for my youngest to play in it. It's a great small school league with great competition.

? St. Thomas Aquinas High School is actually only about 3 miles from the Canton City limits and has always had kids from Canton since it opened in the 1960s. Get out a map and check it out. 3 minutes vs. 20 minutes is quite the exaggeration.

15 to 17 min...and literally next to a corn field...last night there was a shooting and murder right next to JFK...clearly a little different of a demographic than Louisville.

15 to 17 min...and literally next to a corn field...last night there was a shooting and murder right next to JFK...clearly a little different of a demographic than Louisville.

I grew up in Canton and my childhood home to Aquinas was 6.1 miles, an 8 minute drive. Before Aquinas, I went to St. Peter Church and School in downtown Canton and then attended St. Thomas Aquinas as did about 80% of the kids that went to St. Peter when I was there. The other 20% went to McKinley.

Your map is from downtown Canton to Aquinas. Just an FYI, not many people live in downtown Canton and Canton extends past its downtown. The Canton city limits to Aquinas is only 2.7 miles. Thanks for educating me on a school I went to and an area I grew up in. It never ceases to amaze me when people double down on stupidity.

Why do you hate cornfields so much?

Last edited:
I know it's only April, but I'm kinda curious how each team is gonna look this season. Was planning on catching a couple of games this season (Mogadore/Garfield Week 8), and Rootstown/Akron North Week 4 (nonconference).

I know it's only April, but I'm kinda curious how each team is gonna look this season. Was planning on catching a couple of games this season (Mogadore/Garfield Week 8), and Rootstown/Akron North Week 4 (nonconference).
Mogadore vs Garrettsville Garfield should be for the title ( although only playing 3 league games). Garrettsville Garfield is loaded, played lots of sophomores last year and only lost to Mogadore. Mogadore loses some but always seems to just reload and Mogadore gets all 3 league games at home. Rootstown should be ok, and Southeast although biggest school...well they have struggled recently. Guess we'll see what this last abbreviated year look brings before adding the 2 private schools and Garrettsville Garfield leaves. And Crestwood and Youngstown Valley Christian leave this year...good luck Crestwood playing Kirtland!!

Good article in the Record Courier today on the PTC
Tom Nader always writes excellent articles on local sports. He's a Portage county guy. Too bad loyalty means nothing to some former schools! Look at the percentage who DO NOT want to change leagues...poor gates= less money for the athletic programs. Look.at Waterloo, I'm sure Mineral Ridge, Lowellville, Sebring bring no where close to the fans that Rootstown, Southeast and Mogadore brought to games.

Tom Nader does a wonderful job at the Record Courier however he is not going to write a controversial piece when his former boss is the current athletic director at one of the schools they cover. The article fails to mention what was covered in the Fall when the Metro split, it wasn't just the we want out --- the writing was on the walls for years.

The Metro wanted a commissioner to oversee scheduling and officiating, a league website and education-based programming. Notable conference such as the Suburban League, Southwest Conference and Cuyahoga Valley Conference all have these things in place. The County AD's did not want to get with the times --- they lacked vision to see how they could better the conference and were resistant to change. If you look at County AD's in addition to their AD duties they are teachers, Dean's, Varsity Assistants or the Varsity Head Coach.

The rivalries and competitiveness of the conference has been great for several years, rarely does one team consistently dominate and all have experienced post-season success in many sports. What killed the PTC as we know it was the typical politics and laziness of athletic administrators.

Tom Nader does a wonderful job at the Record Courier however he is not going to write a controversial piece when his former boss is the current athletic director at one of the schools they cover. The article fails to mention what was covered in the Fall when the Metro split, it wasn't just the we want out --- the writing was on the walls for years.

The Metro wanted a commissioner to oversee scheduling and officiating, a league website and education-based programming. Notable conference such as the Suburban League, Southwest Conference and Cuyahoga Valley Conference all have these things in place. The County AD's did not want to get with the times --- they lacked vision to see how they could better the conference and were resistant to change. If you look at County AD's in addition to their AD duties they are teachers, Dean's, Varsity Assistants or the Varsity Head Coach.

The rivalries and competitiveness of the conference has been great for several years, rarely does one team consistently dominate and all have experienced post-season success in many sports. What killed the PTC as we know it was the typical politics and laziness of athletic administrators.
Don't understand " the rivalries have been great for several years ". That implies some of these rivalries are not very old. Tell that to the Crestwood, Garrettsville Garfield rivalry or the many rivalries that most schools have had with Mogadore since they entered the league in 1968. Rootstown, Waterloo, long time dating to before the consolation of Atwater Randolph. I think these rivalries and gates were more important than most might think. Too bad the schools leaving apparently gave no chance for discussion on change. Just pull up and leave.

Well unfortunately the Rootstown Athletic Director was too busy coaching golf and baseball, Mogadore assisting with football, basketball and baseball to care about the future of the conference and gate receipts --- but their strs should be in good shape!

A big part of the league falling apart is the commisoner of the league. Ask anyone involved in the PTC. He has a select few buddy's who he is biased towards and everyone had enough of it

Well unfortunately the Rootstown Athletic Director was too busy coaching golf and baseball, Mogadore assisting with football, basketball and baseball to care about the future of the conference and gate receipts --- but their strs should be in good shape!
Don't understand Mogadore assisting with football, basketball baseball comment of your post.

Don't understand Mogadore assisting with football, basketball baseball comment of your post.

I did make an error but its pretty simple --- Mogadore's latest AD is the baseball coach and assistant coach for football and basketball in addition to his teaching duties. Little too busy to focus on the future of the conference have all that going on IMO. Rich Braumbaugh would not allowed that to happen but then again he wasn't chasing dollars and it was unfortunate he had to step away due to family circumstances.

I did make an error but its pretty simple --- Mogadore's latest AD is the baseball coach and assistant coach for football and basketball in addition to his teaching duties. Little too busy to focus on the future of the conference have all that going on IMO. Rich Braumbaugh would not allowed that to happen but then again he wasn't chasing dollars and it was unfortunate he had to step away due to family circumstances.
Get your facts started before posting. Mogadore AD is not an assistant football coach...and is the j.v basketball coach . He was in both before being current AD.

Mogadore AD stopped coaching football like a decade ago, and he wasn't even an AD at the time.

The previous Mogadore AD never assisted in football.