PTC County

Commissioners of HS leagues have no control over league membership. They are not like Roger Goodell. Their main job is to assign officials for league contests. Voting power in HS leagues generally belongs to either principals, ADs, superintendents, or some combo of those 3 groups. Judging by the name, I'm guessing the HS principals hold the voting power in the PAC.
You are correct (on both counts). Did not mean to infer that he had final say. Just has some "influence" on the conversation.

I like the start. I really would like Field and Springfield, but have heard that the PTC Metro is likely to stick together. If that’s the case I would like Northwest for sure, and either Orrville or Tuslaw.
Field and Springfield should leave the Metro, it isn't just Football that they can't compete in that league. Its many/most sports.

Too bad Garfield decided to go behind the backs of the other 3 remaining schools
I know they were looking out for themselves but when it seemed a decision was made for the 4 to stick together, they certainly weren't very loyal. Again long time rivalries gone...the end of what was a good small public school league..

The PTC and prior to that the PCL was a league that was made up of local schools and communities. For some reason outsiders have decided to move on. They are not local, have no loyalty and of course no history of the league. That is the problem and that is what has caused the demise of what was once a great league for our schools and communities. Hope the schools moving on enjoy the increased transportation costs, lower gates and few if any rivalries....

Keith Waesch needs to let go of the PTC as a conference- it is dead! Time to move on and find something new.
Agreed. The idea of mixing small community schools with small private schools such as St. Thomas Aquinas along with Lake Center Christian who can recruit isn't ideal, especially given history of PTC/PCL.

I wonder if the Eastern Buckeye would be a viable option for Rootstown or Southeast and Wayne County Athletic League for Mogadore? Similar enrollments and demographics. Where would that leave Lake Center...NorthCoast?

Agreed. The idea of mixing small community schools with small private schools such as St. Thomas Aquinas along with Lake Center Christian who can recruit isn't ideal, especially given history of PTC/PCL.

I wonder if the Eastern Buckeye would be a viable option for Rootstown or Southeast and Wayne County Athletic League for Mogadore? Similar enrollments and demographics. Where would that leave Lake Center...NorthCoast?

Rootstown is not nearly big enough to play in the EBC. They might hold their own with the Canton Souths and Minervas who are on the small end of the league, but the idea of them going to nose-to-nose with Alliance and Marlington in football is rather difficult to envision. It's hard enough to believe South Range was willing to do it across all sports until something more attractive to them came along at the last minute, a.k.a. the NE8.

Southeast might have a slightly better chance of entering the EBC since they are a past rival of West Branch, but again, I don't know that Southeast has the horses to compete in the EBC across all sports.

The EBC may not be as wonderful as it once was, but they still offer a rather full compliment of sports, so a smaller school's pool of athletes is going to be stretched rather thin in that league if attempting to compete across all sports.

I don't see Lake Center Christian having anywhere to go. What do they bring to the table that most leagues would want? They can't help you fill an opening on a football schedule, let alone generate a decent gate and cut your travel in that sport.

I don't see Mogadore getting into the WCAL. The WCAL has 8 schools and hasn't had a membership change of any kind in over 45 years. It has been arguably the most stable league in Ohio for several years. Mogadore's best hope would be for the PAC to say good-bye to Loudonville and its football-only affiliation and add Moggy as a full member. Otherwise, Moggy, Rootstown, and Southeast's best hope is to do like they're doing now and see if anyone wants to fall in with them to create a new lineup of teams. They should be open to dumping the PTC name depending on if they get any takers.

Last edited:
I agree. Mogadore to the PAC if they drop Loudenville. Also drop CVCA ( distance and private). This would make room for Rootstown. Makes too much sense. Probably PTC adds St. Thomas, Canton Central Catholic and maybe Warren JFK. Thinking it would be a mistake as none of those would offer middle school programs. Thanks Crestwood, Garfield, Waterloo and Windham for the breakup of the County league!!

I agree. Mogadore to the PAC if they drop Loudenville. Also drop CVCA ( distance and private). This would make room for Rootstown. Makes too much sense. Probably PTC adds St. Thomas, Canton Central Catholic and maybe Warren JFK. Thinking it would be a mistake as none of those would offer middle school programs. Thanks Crestwood, Garfield, Waterloo and Windham for the breakup of the County league!!
JFK plays 10 junior high games a year, every year. We have played both Aquinas and CCC JR high teams within the last few years. Kennedy also has JR high basketball, both boys and girls, track both boys and girls, volleyball, etc. Facts are a helluva thing.

I would think Mogadore would want the PAC or WCAL. From what I've seen, The mentioned leagues travel pretty well for the most part. The PTC doesn't. I have seen 10 to 100 fans on the visitor side at their games Mogadores gate has to suck.

It's amazing to me that someone who isn't in the league has decided to just "drop" CVCA. How pretentious do you have to be to kick a long time member who has great relationships with most of the other league schools. What makes the PAC one of the top small school leagues is having CVCA in the league.

It's amazing to me that someone who isn't in the league has decided to just "drop" CVCA. How pretentious do you have to be to kick a long time member who has great relationships with most of the other league schools. What makes the PAC one of the top small school leagues is having CVCA in the league.
John
Duh! This is a discussion site...get real. It is discussing topics. Nothing pretentious about it. It is discussing the topic....really.

John
Duh! This is a discussion site...get real. It is discussing topics. Nothing pretentious about it. It is discussing the topic....really.

John? Mogadore replacing Loudenville is worthy of discussion, that move makes sense and makes the PAC stronger. Kicking CVCA out and replacing it with Rootstown may the silliest thing I have seen in this forum in a long time.

This issue goes back to the entire Metro deciding to pickup and leave. That was the beginning of the end for this conference as many schools crossed over to fill a league schedule: Bowling, Swimming, Golf, Wrestling, Tennis. You may say who cares about these sports but these are student-athletes we're talking about and they should have opportunity to complete. The Metro cited issues as the need for a Commissioner for scheduling and officiating, along with the need for league website. Woodridge AD did establish a website and added history to it. I think these demands weren't ones the County couldn't conform to.

Multiple AD's in the County are the Head Varsity Coach of a program and/or an Assistant within multiple. Perhaps those AD's should have focused more time in meeting needs of entire conference. To blame those 4 schools is short sided. There have also been new AD's hired at many Metro and County schools over years, some schools have hired a few over the years. Field comes to mind, also Garrettsville. Waterloo and Windham had already left along with Kent, this entire conference could of been salvaged. Years ago they had a chance to add Newton Falls, Cardinal and Berkshire all had interest but opted for Lake Center Christian and Valley Christian School. Both private schools, both not in Portage County. Football will always be the reason for every decision, why add a team without football? If these teams were expected to add wrestling, football - why weren't they shown door? Sounds like a lack of leadership, they were too reactive when should of been proactive.

Tom Nader's recent article asks for a return of the old PCL; one can only hope several years from now it happens.

"Makes too much sense." = something usually heard before or after something that makes next to no sense.

So let's see, you have dropped 2 members of the PAC to add Moggy & Rootstown and then added teams from Stark & Trumbull Co to the Portage Co league. Nice.

Of course you realize that YOUR problem is not anyone elses, right? Those other leagues can do absolutely nothing and continue to exist just fine. Might have to get used to going to prom by yourself for awhile. Don't think anyone else is going to dump their date just because you & your boyfriend broke up.

What the PAC could do is add both Mogadore and Rootstown to go to 10 teams, and then go to an 8-game conference schedule, similar to how the Greater Miami and Midwest conferences are presently set up (so each team would have one conference opponent they do not play). Southeast to the EBC seems like a no-brainer; which invariably means it will never happen.

What the PAC could do is add both Mogadore and Rootstown to go to 10 teams, and then go to an 8-game conference schedule, similar to how the Greater Miami and Midwest conferences are presently set up (so each team would have one conference opponent they do not play). Southeast to the EBC seems like a no-brainer; which invariably means it will never happen.
We have a winner of the "Can't we all just get along" award. Finding a league willing to expand is more reasonable idea than tearing apart a current league because someone needs a place to go.
As a PAC fan this is interesting. Could create a NORTH (CVCA, Manchester, NW, Mogadore & Rootstown) and SOUTH (Tuslaw, Fairless, Triway, Orrville, Loudonville) for football and use the same structure with rotations for scheduling other sports. Issue is Loudonville only plays football so that would get wonkey. It also splits up the D4 teams so that could hurt their overall playoff point potential. They'd have to kickup their nonconference scheduling.
Once Koach France finally hangs up the whistle this could be a possibility. Can't see it happening while he's still acting principal & coach.

looks like St Thomas and JFK will come into the PTC 2021-2022 season after Garfield leaves
Do like this move. The county basically is becoming a parochial school league. Warren JFK, St. Thomas, Lake Center...half the league is now parochial...don't think it will last. Smaller gates, no rivalries.