PTC County Looks to expand

From someone I talked to previously about Waterloo and them in their move to MVAC, it was more about what was in best interest of them going forward. The conversation I had was over 15 months ago, so it may be off a little, but this is essentially what I was told from the Waterloo perspective.

1) What someone mentioned above about moving D4 Field to County if Metro adds a team is exactly one of the reasons why Waterloo was looking to move to the MVAC. Crestwood was D4 at the time, Southeast D4, Garfield D5, and so on. They didn't want to be in a conference where they were with several D4/D5 schools while they're getting smaller and they have a league around their size that they had the chance to join at the time.

2) Schedule. There isn't many options to fill a game in Weeks 4-10 and with Lake Center Christian not having football, no guarantee of expansion to get 8 schools with football in the County, and the talks of forcing crossover games? It made the move to the MVAC more enticing to them.

====
Below are my thoughts and not what was said to me in the conversation about Waterloo/MVAC.

Also, from what I interpreted, it's easy to see that the PTC will cater to the Metro more than the County. So why wouldn't Waterloo look somewhere that would benefit them? Again, benefit them. They should only do what they feel is in the best interest of their student-athletes, not the conference they're leaving or the schools in that conference. In my opinion, they were trying to get ahead of a potential bad situation in the PTC County.

I don't see Waterloo coming back to the PTC and leaving the MVAC any time soon; however, I wouldn't be shocked to see the MVAC and EOAC have a little shakeup with Toronto already leaving the EOAC and Leetonia, according to this thread, possibly on the way out as well.

I could very well see Sebring and another MVAC school going to the EOAC and then Valley Christian and possibly another PTC school joining the MVAC. Again, not anything I heard. Just taking an educated guess from what I've seen in the past with these conference alignments and also who needs a conference, etc.

Well Waterloo is either D5 or 6. Now the PTC is made up of only one D 4, Southeast and they only barely. The rest are D5,6,7. Waterloo is much larger than most of MVAC. The majority of their sports teams competed competitively in the PTC except football which has never had a winning tradition. I would think that now the experiment is so costly and has not reaped the benefits, they need to reenter PTC. Think of the positive public relations they get by saving the taxpayers unnecessary transportation costs..makes too much sense.

Letting STA in would be a huge mistake IMO. They are either down (like they are now) and worth almost nothing to the league, or they have a bubble class of recruits like a couple years ago, and they would steam roll. There is no in between. No middle of the road years where they would be good competition. Plus STA always seems like their existence is in a perpetual state of unknown and there is always talk about combining the school into other diocese (who knows if that will ever happen). The County is just way to volatile to be attractive to anyone worth letting in IMO and will always be second fiddle to the metro. You have perennial power small schooling and anemic "bigger" schools like SE, the league just isn't attractive and seems to constantly be in flux. If you dropped Field that would be going the opposite direction the league seems to be moving toward. They want to get smaller not bigger. Bigger and you would want to drop field down and try to steal schools like West Branch or Alliance / Marlington/ Louisville, not STA.

Letting STA in would be a huge mistake IMO. They are either down (like they are now) and worth almost nothing to the league, or they have a bubble class of recruits like a couple years ago, and they would steam roll. There is no in between. No middle of the road years where they would be good competition. Plus STA always seems like their existence is in a perpetual state of unknown and there is always talk about combining the school into other diocese (who knows if that will ever happen). The County is just way to volatile to be attractive to anyone worth letting in IMO and will always be second fiddle to the metro. You have perennial power small schooling and anemic "bigger" schools like SE, the league just isn't attractive and seems to constantly be in flux. If you dropped Field that would be going the opposite direction the league seems to be moving toward. They want to get smaller not bigger. Bigger and you would want to drop field down and try to steal schools like West Branch or Alliance / Marlington/ Louisville, not STA.

I don't share all of your same thoughts but I think you are right about the ebb and flow of the football program from now until they stop fielding a team. I think it will be famine for a couple more seasons and then I think they will have a serious uptick of nontraditional (for Aquinas) talent. I think they could become much like Chanel in the 2000s . . . an extremely small school with 15-20 athletes that can flat out play football. That would be a great combination as the D6 and D7 level does not require much more if you have decent coaching (and I think Aquinas does). I think you could see the same thing happen in basketball and, in fact, I think the new coach is planning for and building toward just that scenario. So, while that may be great news for Aquinas fans (if it comes to be -- they would still need to become attractive to quality players in Alliance and Canton -- which is no guarantee), it would make them a very frustrating league member for any small school, rural assemblage of schools.

Just my two cents, maybe three.

Isn’t that how all Small school athletics are? Sometimes they are bad, sometimes they have a great 2 classes that make them the class of the league? Very few schools around have sustained programs that just keep winning no matter who is in the school. I would agree with the exsistance always being in question for Aquinas, but I think they are a good solution for a few years until another team decides to leave, which happens in every league.

Agree, McDonald would be good right off the 76,80 freeway.

Would love it from a McDonald standpoint, but no way they’d ever go themselves. McDonald/Reserve/Ridge are pretty lockstep and will stick together. If there is instability within the MVAC, I’d rather they look to the PTC schools than try itcl 2.0

Isn’t that how all Small school athletics are? Sometimes they are bad, sometimes they have a great 2 classes that make them the class of the league? Very few schools around have sustained programs that just keep winning no matter who is in the school. I would agree with the exsistance always being in question for Aquinas, but I think they are a good solution for a few years until another team decides to leave, which happens in every league.
If thats the way you want to take the league in a smaller direction sure. Adding STA would certainly accomplish that. You also add more instability and questions to your league. Or you drop Field down and try to bulk up the larger side of the league. You cant have it bith ways imo and both have their issues. I don't know what those areas of portage look like population wise, but i cant imagine people are flocking to these communities, so maybe the trend down is the way to go. I just tend to lean more towards size and stability.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NAC will be looking for two schools, with Grand Valley leaving and Newbury schools combining with West G. No way they stay in the NAC. Ashtabula St. John would be one for some reason the NAC likes them, Leetonia is okay but I think they could do better I would prefer Newton Falls a lot closer to the teams. Newton Falls in the MVAC makes sense, I could see Newton Falls and Rootstown joining MVAC

NAC will be looking for two schools, with Grand Valley leaving and Newbury schools combining with West G. No way they stay in the NAC. Ashtabula St. John would be one for some reason the NAC likes them, Leetonia is okay but I think they could do better I would prefer Newton Falls a lot closer to the teams. Newton Falls in the MVAC makes sense, I could see Newton Falls and Rootstown joining MVAC
Leetonia is going to the NAC. Rootstown is staying in the PTC. Newton Falls will have less travel in the PTC, will be able to compete in the PTC. PTC teams will bring fans. MAC does not bring fans/

Leetonia is going to the NAC. Rootstown is staying in the PTC. Newton Falls will have less travel in the PTC, will be able to compete in the PTC. PTC teams will bring fans. MAC does not bring fans/

Competition wise it’s a good fit for Leetonia, but those will be some long drives, especially Monday night girls basketball games instead of staying in the county in the EOAC. Add those extra travel cost to likely less ticket sales due to the travel and less rivalries.

Well according to the Record Courier, Waterloo will cut busing for all high school students starting in February. Gee wonder if they considered the transportation cost they could save by rejoining the local athletic league! Maybe save enough to bus students to school, save some other educational items from being cut. Can't believe the communities of Atwater and Randolph aren't furious over this...

Competition wise it’s a good fit for Leetonia, but those will be some long drives, especially Monday night girls basketball games instead of staying in the county in the EOAC. Add those extra travel cost to likely less ticket sales due to the travel and less rivalries.

Thank Heaven for Route 11, I guess.

That is a long jog to the north for Leetonia... So I am scratching my head here... but if it happens I won't complain, as the NAC needs members... I just wasn't expecting this one... I had circled Ashtabula St. John's... but maybe that still happens....

Both schools would have steamrolled the PTC country the last 2 years. Could you have imagined PTC country kids trying to deal with Wright and Tucker.

Yeah remember a couple of years ago when Woodridge got spanked by both teams. Oh wait... it was the other way around.

Both schools would have steamrolled the PTC country the last 2 years. Could you have imagined PTC country kids trying to deal with Wright and Tucker.

CVCA only beat Crestwood by 17. Mogadore beat Crestwood by 17. Not sure CVCA would have steam rolled Mogadore. And for the recrod, CVCA did steam roll Manchester.

It's really not that hard to do a LITTLE research before making yourself look bad.

First place to go to to help you out woul be Joeeitel.com/hsfoot. It literally took me 2 minutes to realize you were full of crap.

2 year ago CVCA did not beat a single team with a winning record.

There are always rumblings of certain schools joining. As it stands now the Suburban has 15 and Tallmadge has always been a rumor and would fit nicely in Metro and is in close proximity to Woodridge, Norton, Coventry, Springfield and even Cloverleaf. Furthest drive would be Ravenna but no different for them because they play Kent. Field could then move into County. Shame to see Windham and Waterloo not come back to PTC but it’s unlikely it will happen anytime soon. If they did would fit well in County and move Field back into Metro.

CVCA only beat Crestwood by 17. Mogadore beat Crestwood by 17. Not sure CVCA would have steam rolled Mogadore. And for the recrod, CVCA did steam roll Manchester.

It's really not that hard to do a LITTLE research before making yourself look bad.

First place to go to to help you out woul be Joeeitel.com/hsfoot. It literally took me 2 minutes to realize you were full of crap.

2 year ago CVCA did not beat a single team with a winning record.

Easy bud, Mogadore is the class of the PTC and Woodridge has proven they are a solid program. I have no doubt both schools could have gone toe to toe with Manchester and CVCA. None of the other schools would have stood a chance and you probably know that.

As annoying as 7vs7's are if you were at the CVCA/Mogadore passing scrimmage you would have to agree that in a game situation Mogadore had absolutely no one who could cover Tucker. Imagine him going against the schools not named Mogadore and Woodridge.

Now, go get a Snickers or something.

Easy bud, Mogadore is the class of the PTC and Woodridge has proven they are a solid program. I have no doubt both schools could have gone toe to toe with Manchester and CVCA. None of the other schools would have stood a chance and you probably know that.

As annoying as 7vs7's are if you were at the CVCA/Mogadore passing scrimmage you would have to agree that in a game situation Mogadore had absolutely no one who could cover Tucker. Imagine him going against the schools not named Mogadore and Woodridge.

Now, go get a Snickers or something.

So I use actual game results and you counter with 7 on 7? Come on, you can’t be serious.

For the record, I think Manchester-Mogadore and CVCA-Mogadore would be good games every year if that were to happen. That said, there are rumblings that some members of the PAC are not happy with that league, and may be looking for something new. Just something to watch.

How about JFK? They would be a perfect fit for both sides. They would compete and they would cut there travel time.

I offered that suggestion earlier but didn't get any responses? In recent years seems like many of the PTC teams would be very well matched with JFK. Seems like it may be a good fit. JFK is small but gives good computer points.

On a side note, Mogadore Municipal Stadium ( official name) will get new track, field turf and Fieldhouse for upcoming season. This will be the best county division stadium and really one of the best in the area. Also plans for possible new scoreboard and press box.As for Warren JFK, would have rather had them then Lake Center or even Valley.

I don't know why Municipal came up. I know it will be Mogadore MEMORIAL stadium...I'll blame it on spell check!!

There are always rumblings of certain schools joining. As it stands now the Suburban has 15 and Tallmadge has always been a rumor and would fit nicely in Metro and is in close proximity to Woodridge, Norton, Coventry, Springfield and even Cloverleaf. Furthest drive would be Ravenna but no different for them because they play Kent. Field could then move into County. Shame to see Windham and Waterloo not come back to PTC but it’s unlikely it will happen anytime soon. If they did would fit well in County and move Field back into Metro.

I don't think Tallmadge people would be too excited about playing Cloverleaf. That is a 40 minute drive and would probably not be all that exciting in most sports. Ravenna is only about 20-25 minutes.

The rest of the PTC would be a good fit geographically. The added advantage of close schools would be increased attendance. These 30+ minute highway drives keep the kids away from the games, especially on school nights. A 15 minute drive on regular roads is far more appealing. Try to bring Kent Roosevelt back to the league and it would be a great fit for Tallmadge.