Projections on team scores

D2 boys is going to be tight. My top 3 are $V$M 51 Versailles 44 CVCA 40...My gut tells me that Versailles will get 40 from the events Prakel is in. $V$M is very balanced and could win it without a single first place. Iacofano needs to run smart and accept that Prakel is better than he is and just score as much as he can for the team and not kill himself I also don't have CVCA taking first in any events, but will score in everything they are in.

I agree with psychodad that this will be a tight race, but I think it will be tighter than he predicted. For me to get St. V to score that many points, I had to say that Iacofano would win the mile on top of multiple other St. V people making sizable improvements. I agree with his top two though, but think that Orange will be able to edge out CVCA for that third contender spot riding on the back of Will Carter.

Versailles will score in the 400 and HJ.......they could score 45-50

watch out for Dunbar..tehy could get points in the 4x8, 100, 4x1, 4x2, 200, 4x4

Good work on the DII boys analysis.

As I look at the DIII girls' list of qualifiers, I see that there aren't many teams that 1) have qualifiers in many events and 2) have many qualifiers who are seeded highly in their respective events. It is entirely possible that the points get so spread out this year that it won't even take 30 to win, or you could see the winning team get to 30, but the runner-up will not. Every point is going to be huge!

At this point, I think Gilmour is the slight favorite going in based on their scoring potential in the 4x8, 4x4, and 800. They could also pick up some valuable points in the 100 and 3200. It looks like perhaps Minster is the next best contender since they're qualified in 6 events and have a winning tradition like no other. Russia is qualified in 7 events but would have to perform way above their seedings to score big. I just have a hard time seeing where most of the field will get near enough points to win.

In DIII boys, I really like what Columbus Academy and Lima Central Catholic bring to the table. Plus, CA has shown the last few years that they have an extra gear that they generally aren't required to unveil at the regional level. Minster could be a factor, but they need to take it up a notch and have LCC and CA falter in a few key events. There are a few other teams I really like; namely South Range, Maplewood, and Warren JFK, but they're probably all a qualifier or a big score short of contending for the podium.

In DII girls, Eastmoor looks like the team to beat if their sprint studs bring their "A" game. If not, the St. V girls have a chance to defend their title. If either of those 2 teams mess around, keep an eye on Liberty-Benton. They're not in many events, but their point total could rise quickly in the throws and sprints. Oakwood should score big in the distance events, but it's probably not going to be enough to keep up with Eastmoor and St. V.

I'll leave DI to any of the numerous big school aficionados we have on this board since I really don't pay that much attention to DI these days.

I'd like to make an addition to mr. Slippery's girls DIII, Versailles has a shot: their 3 relay teams alone have a shot at picking up 30 points, and if high jump goes their way...
(I may be just a fan pulling for them here though)

Will Solon win the girls' DI? They have three strong multi-event qualifiers in Haiss, Gray, and Butler, along with relays with big point potential. I confess I don't know enough about some other schools from Columbus or Cincinnati area to make a confident prediction.

I'd like to make an addition to mr. Slippery's girls DIII, Versailles has a shot: their 3 relay teams alone have a shot at picking up 30 points, and if high jump goes their way...
(I may be just a fan pulling for them here though)

Good call on Versailles. I overlooked them a bit since they're not qualified in many events, but you're right about the defending champions. It really is an interesting year for DIII girls. The team competition will be won or lost in the relays.

Tight in DIII Girls

You're absolutely right, Mr. Slippery, except that I think Versailles are marginal favorites over Gilmour. To win the state championship, Gilmour needs to take the 4x8 and the 4x4, and Alexis Anton needs to place very high in the 800. Any points from Briah Owens in the 100 and the Markel sisters in the 3200 could just put them over. If you were to score the meet on regional times (thoroughly unreliable, i know), Versailles would win with 33, Gilmour second with 28, Hawken third with 26 and Russia fourth with 21. Alex Markovich could pull a big surprise for Hawken. She may well win the 1600 and the 3200, and with her as anchor, the Hawks' 4x8 did surprisingly well at regionals and are seeded third. Russia has a strong team and should take the 400, but after that their points are diluted. In other events, they'll have to improve upon their seeding if they're to hoist the trophy. To state the obvious, it all comes down to the 4x4. Gilmour and Versailles come in with the two fastest times (but only just) 4.02.31 and 4.02.89. Whichever of these two places higher than the other will most likely win state, and other teams squeezing in between them in that race could really be the state championship deciding factor. On a side note, all eyes should be on the HJ. Versailles' Amanda Winner is the third seed with 5'-3", but she shares that height with five others, and three more girls sit at 5'-2". Where she places among that ninesome is going to be significant too.

Last edited:
Will Solon win the girls' DI? They have three strong multi-event qualifiers in Haiss, Gray, and Butler, along with relays with big point potential. I confess I don't know enough about some other schools from Columbus or Cincinnati area to make a confident prediction.

Solon definitely a heavy favorite, even with defending 800 state champ Haiss not a formchart top 8 in the event(there's no way that will hold Saturday).

Withrow's strength in all three sprint relays gives them a decided edge in the race for 2nd, but as we know that can change with one drop of a stick.

D1 boys could be closer than I expected. Ed's got very lucky when Young wasn't DQd during Amherst regional.

Boys D2

Big Upset

Orange 41
Versailes 39
CVCA 38

SVSM. Could have won it all,,,but, with Paris with a hamstring injury, they are up against it.....

DIII girls looks like a total toss-up at this point. I'm not sure anyone will hit 30 unless Versailles wins all 3 of its relays.

Congrats, CVC, on your boys winning the 4x800 in DIII, and what a remarkable effort by Tommy Hollis, the 16th sed, to take 7th in the Hj. Good luck tomorrow.

St. Edward is a stone cold lock to win DI boys

Well, not that the prelims are in the books, and we know who's running in the finals in nine events, here are my DI projections based on what happened today and how the rest of the events went at regionals:

1. St. Edward - 61
2. Pickerington North - 39
3. Mason & Westerville North tied with 36
5. Austintown Fitch and Sylvania Southview tied with 29

Last edited:
According to the newspaper St Vincent's Campbell is a go ... My projection Is

SVSM. 42
Orange. 40
Versailes 34
Dunbar 34

But, then again what do I know.....

Boys D3

1. Columbus Academy. 43
2. JFK. 42

The 300 hurdles will be the event which decides the meet..The defenders have to finish in the top four.......even with that. CA may have to win the 4X4 to either win the meet or pull into a tie. 1600/800 points would also help Columbus Academy's cause....

3. Lima CC 40 if 100 qualifier West has a good day like finish in the top three or four that could be enough to secure them the team title.