Preseason top teams in the state, All divisions

Top teams in the state in all divisions are:

STVSM - They are loaded once again with good coaching and plus they moved back to DII. A shoe in for state champs
St. ED's - Catholic schools rule! This team will be discipline and well coached
Cin. Moeller - Still one of the best til someone beats them
Canton Mckinley - Watch out for them! Very lanky and athletic
Mentor - Poweful, strong kids competing at a high level
Pick Central - Suburbs rule in Columbus and this team will be ready to make a run
VASJ - This powerhouse can play with anybody. STVSM will play VASJ to get to the Final Four
Cin. Taft - The style they play with and their intense coach will have you throwing fits.
Tol Rogers - A big, strong, and long team who will be a tough out.
Grandview Heights - The best DIV team in the state

Honarable mention - Harvest Prep, Trot-wood Madison, Warrensville Heights, Richmond Heights, and Cleveland Central Catholic

I think Lima Senior should be mentioned as one of the Top teams in state. Long, aggressive, and deep team that is returning all but one player from last years regional final team.

I really am looking forward to see if Toledo Rogers can put it all together. I had mentioned before that they remind me of the last State Championship team from Toledo (Scott 1990). They have so much length, athleticism and depth at all positions.

Would love to see them play the ultra long and athletic rotation of Wyatt 6'3", Coleman 6'4", Neal 6'7", Nelson 6'7" and Jackson 6'7". That lineup may not make much sense with the other talent that they have, but it would still be fun to watch. Dunk City.

Last edited:
I think you are ranking VASJ based on past years. If the Vikings end up playing SVSM for a trip to Columbus it will be a miracle. This year Luthern East joins a already loaded Lakeside District that has Lake Catholic and West Geauga just to name two. Might be a uncharacteristic season in Viking Village. I hope like hell I'm wrong - we will see starting this Friday.

I watched Taft at the All-Ohio Preview against Detroit Cass Tech last weekend. Taft seemed like a “good, not great” team. They consistently had the same breakdowns defensively: getting eaten by backdoor cuts, losing their man etc. Offensively they started out particularly lazy, but too their credit they stepped it up in crunch time. Harvest Prep IMO, a team that plays strong fundamental hoops and with great chemistry, would beat Taft by 10-15.

I will say that, of all the teams I got to see that night at Pick Central, Taft was a team that could SOAR. Especially on defense, man could they get after that ball before the rim and make the play. I think if Taft really tightens up on D and gets their half court offense going, then that team will be special. They played with a lot of heart and intensity as the preview went on.

I think Lima Senior should be mentioned as one of the Top teams in state. Long, aggressive, and deep team that is returning all but one player from last years regional final team.

Princeton got the best of them last week in a scrimmage. The guard play for Lima SR will hurt them.

interesting 1st week of hoops! There are going to be plenty of surprises. I will be doing my own rankings in the next couple of weeks.

Plain City Jonathan Alder will be one of the better Div. II teams...schedule is brutal with non-league games against Huntington Prep, Dayton CJ, DeSales, Westerville South, Watterson, Reynoldsburg and Hilliard Darby.

Last edited: