Preseason Polls

runs4funs

I think there is something going on with the Girls D1 preseason poll...Centerville 8 first place votes but ranked #2? Looks like someone didn't rank them at all, maybe because of last season? Beavercreek getting a first place vote with their top 4 girls graduated? Will all be moot as we go through the season but seems like some people (or person) are trying to make a statement instead of just ranking the top teams.

I think there is something going on with the Girls D1 preseason poll...Centerville 8 first place votes but ranked #2? Looks like someone didn't rank them at all, maybe because of last season? Beavercreek getting a first place vote with their top 4 girls graduated? Will all be moot as we go through the season but seems like some people (or person) are trying to make a statement instead of just ranking the top teams.
If I was voting, I might not give them a vote. I usually start off with the state meet results and take out the seniors and sort of score what is left. If the teams have at least 3 kids back, I can make some assumptions. Then you look at tradition if they have less than 3 back. (For D2, Woodridge, Lexington, Bay, Defiance, Unioto could have zero back and I wouldn't count them out.) I might go back to the Regional just to see if there was a young team that has a bunch back, but I wouldn't really go back past that. I know this was sort of a special circumstance, but why would a coach in SE Ohio care to include Centerville in the voting. I am more astonished that they were given 8 first place votes. Maybe some of the kids decided to go 15 minutes up the road and enroll at Beavercreek where they offer that one class that they don't at Centerville?

Centerville Girls shouldn't be ranked. They didn't even make it to Regionals last year as a team and return no individual state qualifiers.

I'm joking by the way but I can see Dobson hold his varsity girls out of districts again to stand firm on his "coaching beliefs".

Centerville did not make it to state last year. I could justify the thought process... What would change your mind?

2019- Coach does not enter them at the district meet..
2018 runner up
2017 state champs
2016 state champs
2015 state champs
2014 state champs
2013 runner up

I believe you are wrong with Beavercreek. They lost their top 1- Arkansas, 2 Syracuse, 3 to Cincinnati, and 5 to UNC Wilmington. They return #4 and 18:00 runner Juliann Williams who was #9 in the state last year. They return some decent kids in the 20:00 range. And with any rich suburb I am sure they will have some stud freshmen girls that ran in middle school coming up the pipeline. But top 10 is a little much IMHO.

I would vote them 15-20 range until they can have 5 solid girls run under 19:30. IF that can't happen they won't have a chance to make it to the state meet. This region is loaded again this year with Mason (returning 15 girls sub 20:00) and Lakota East.
Loveland the sleeper team to challenge for the title, Talawanda returns a good group, and Springboro and Troy always are in the mix with tons of runners in those communities.
The Southwest Region should go:
(1) Centerville
(2) LAK EAST
(3) Mason
(4) Loveland
(5) Beavercreek, Springboro, Talawanda, Lebanon or Troy.

*If we even run a regional...

Centerville Girls shouldn't be ranked. They didn't even make it to Regionals last year as a team and return no individual state qualifiers.

I'm joking by the way but I can see Dobson hold his varsity girls out of districts again to stand firm on his "coaching beliefs".
With the GWOC only running intra-conference meets this season it would take some serious cojones to sit the top girls out for districts without having run against any outside competition. That would be a true test of his coaching beliefs.

Lakota West looked strong over Mason and St. X last night at Moeller. It appeared to be the top runners from all three teams. Didn't cross check every name with last year's returners, though.

Lakota West looked strong over Mason and St. X last night at Moeller. It appeared to be the top runners from all three teams. Didn't cross check every name with last year's returners, though.
West was impressive, looks like X and Mason were running their top guys but even if one or two were missing it wouldn’t have mattered. Loveland girls squeaked one out over Mason, their top four look really good, will depend on how their #5 improves...Mason had 10 girls finish ahead of her. Mason looks like they have a lot of depth but they’re lacking an elite runner.

Still very early. St. X usually looks beatable for the first 3 weeks of the season and then.... they go off and everyone drops 45 seconds. And you look around "how did they do that?"

Still very early. St. X usually looks beatable for the first 3 weeks of the season and then.... they go off and everyone drops 45 seconds. And you look around "how did they do that?"
I have to agree with you on that point.

Last edited:

Lakota West was very impressive, no doubt about it. To open up at the first meet and smack the top 2 teams from the year before, those boys clearly put in a serious summer and did not come to mess around. And it was a serious smackdown, the smaller meet kind of hid how dominant West really was that night. They put 5 guys ahead of X's #3, and 4 ahead of Mason's #1.

But I agree, both St. X and Mason typically aren't very impressive to start off the year. So we shall see how this unfolds. Curious is those 3 teams will race each other more this year. Would be fun to watch.

Loveland and Mason girls looked strong at Moeller. Loveland has the stars up front, Mason has the depth.

Kenston beating Woodridge was a good early start for them. Hilliard Davidson boys and Beavercreek boys looked good. It will be tough for those GWOC schools to only be able to race each other all year, but then again, might not make a difference. That conference has plenty of talent.

I'm just thrilled we've got results to look at again!