Potential New Football Programs

Here is sort of a spinoff I guess. With success of Ft Loramie and Anna making it look 'Easy'

How many 'new' programs who are 25 years old or younger have won a State Title?
I guess you can include those who formed new schools in the cities but I am more interested in places that had no football and started from the beginning

I can think of Anna an Ft Recovery is right on that cusp of 25 years. I want to say their first varsity season was 97 or so, but had a JV season or two before that so they would be right around that 25 mark.

I can think of a few locally.

Youngstown Cardinal Mooney opened in 1956, had its first varsity football team in 57 and its first senior football players in 1958. The Cardinals won the 1973 AAA title over the other local team that I know did it, Warren Western Reserve. The Raiders started playing football in 1966 and won the 1972 AAA state title.

I may be wrong about this but I want to say that Garfield Hts. Trinity started playing football in 1975 because I saw them play Youngstown Rayen that year, Rayen's star RB Dennis Mosely ran wild, and I seem to remember something about that being their first year of varsity football. Anyway, Trinity won the 1980 D4 title.

Didn't Dublin Scioto win the D2 title in their first year of existence? Of course they were a "new" school that came out of the existing Dublin school system.

Youngstown Cardinal Mooney opened in 1956, had its first varsity football team in 57 and its first senior football players in 1958. The Cardinals won the 1973 AAA title over the other local team that I know did it, Warren Western Reserve. The Raiders started playing football in 1966 and won the 1972 AAA state title.

I may be wrong about this but I want to say that Garfield Hts. Trinity started playing football in 1975 because I saw them play Youngstown Rayen that year, Rayen's star RB Dennis Mosely ran wild, and I seem to remember something about that being their first year of varsity football. Anyway, Trinity won the 1980 D4 title.

Didn't Dublin Scioto win the D2 title in their first year of existence? Of course they were a "new" school that came out of the existing Dublin school system.
I guess we can go that angle, schools who won a title within their first 25. I was thinking more in the last 25 years, as a 'justification' new programs can win early on.
I would rather stay away from those like scioto tho.
I am going to start the thread.

I guess we can go that angle, schools who won a title within their first 25. I was thinking more in the last 25 years, as a 'justification' new programs can win early on.
I would rather stay away from those like scioto tho.
I am going to start the thread.

I thought you meant within 25 years of starting a football program. My bad.

I thought you meant within 25 years of starting a football program. My bad.
You were not incorrect in the way I phrased it. I was just thinking more along the lines of the last 25 years since this topic of New Programs came up.

This can give an argument to some places that a new program can be successful somewhat early on.

Bump. A few updates though. North Central plays their 1st varsity season this upcoming season. Any other programs on the horizon?

Pioneer North Central
08/19 H Elmore Woodmore
08/26 A Rockford Parkway
09/02 A Fremont (IN)
09/09 A Adrian Madison (MI)
09/16 N Fairport Harding
09/23 A Oregon Cardinal Stritch
09/30 A Erie Mason (MI)
10/07 H West Unity Hilltop
10/14 A Petersburg Summerfield (MI)
10/21 A Ottawa Lake Whiteford (MI)

TREE OF LIFE: hey if we get 8-man can we join ur league

MSL-CARDINAL SCHOOLS: we can't hear you over the sound of us saying "we're not playing 8-man football"

FUTURE 11-MAN PROGRAM TREE OF LIFE: u up?

MSL-CARDINAL SCHOOLS: yooooooooooooo
Interesting considering they have a soccer program. I wish them well!

Interesting considering they have a soccer program. I wish them well!
(at the risk of diverting the thread into politics) TOL has been the line-leader of the "school choice" movement for a while, now, in Central Ohio. The environment to expand and grow is friendly for them. I'd say its doable.

Expansion + growth has an obstacle: being in the Mid-Ohio Christian Athletic League (MOCAL.) There's been a lingering opinion in Central Ohio sports circles that being in the MOCAL doesn't lift a school's reputation (Grove City Christian and Fairfield Christian left it a decade ago for a reason.)

Expansion + growth can be aided by joining more "reputable" schools/programs. That ticket to being with a new crowd is 11 man football.

i think Springfield Emmanuel Christian always has the athletes in the school to be able to support football. just a guess. they’re very good in most sports that they do have

Pioneer North Central was the only actual new program I saw listed on the schedules his year. Also, there was not a new 8-man football school, which surprised me a bit.

I really think if OHSAA sanctioned 8-man the flood gates would open for existing football playing schools to drop down.
maybe not as much as you think but i’m sure some would. i’m sure there are a few schools that would be perfectly content sticking to 8-man. on the flip side, the stability of the division wouldn’t be ideal, but i think making schools commit to 2 years at that level before having the ability to get back to 11 man could work. that way, regions and/or schedules could be set for 2 years at a time, etc

The OHSAA schools playing "Club" football are certainly candidates to move up to OHSAA level football. Not sure why they have not made a move to do so.

Georgetown
Seaman North Adams
Peebles
Latham Western
West Union
Sardinia Eastern (Southern Buckeye club)

The OHSAA schools playing "Club" football are certainly candidates to move up to OHSAA level football. Not sure why they have not made a move to do so.

Georgetown
Seaman North Adams
Peebles
Latham Western
West Union
Sardinia Eastern (Southern Buckeye club)
Georgetown has had some really competitive teams over the years. i think they could handle a football team

I really think if OHSAA sanctioned 8-man the flood gates would open for existing football playing schools to drop down.
With the continuing decline in numbers it will be sooner rather than later.

If there is an actual 8-man division I don't think schools will be moving back and forth between 8 and 11.

I don't think a flood, but more than a trickle.

In other states with 6, 8 or 9 man, they usually allow a 2 year exception before you're forced to move. If you think you'll be back to 8 man in two years you are allowed to just stay 8 man. Same as dropping down. But after two years of you continue to play down, you're a "renegade schedule" and don't qualify for the playoffs. But virtually every state allows you to play up if you want to.

A few years ago in Texas, Hamlin made the state championship in 2AD2 when they were actually slotted as a 6 man team but wanted to play up to 11 man.

Last edited:
In other states with 6, 8 or 9 man, they usually allow a 2 year exception before you're forced to move. If you think you'll be back to 8 man in two years you are allowed to just stay 8 man. Same as dropping down. But after two years of you continue to play down, you're a "renegade schedule" and don't qualify for the playoffs. But virtually every state allows you to play up if you want to.

A few years ago in Texas, Hamlin made the state championship in 1AD2 when they were actually slotted as a 6 man team but wanted to play up to 11 man.

With something like that I think there really would be a lot of schools going 8 man, knowing if they can swing it they can just play 11 that year. Complicating factors of course being leagues and schedules, but some of the schools who are currently fighting because they see it as something they may have no way back from might just do it in that case.

i think Springfield Emmanuel Christian always has the athletes in the school to be able to support football. just a guess. they’re very good in most sports that they do have
I want to say EC had a club program going about a decade ago. A vocal parent and/or new administrator opposition ended it. They felt it would deter from the other programs getting the resources they needed. I recall their program ended with a JV game against Riverside.

Most badger kids went to Brookfield to play back in the day
If Ohio allowed co-ops that would've made sense for one.

All three could've went in on one team. On their own there just wasn't the desire. My dad was from Kinsman and he doesn't know why they never had football. They'd just go down to Warren for games on Friday night to get into trouble.

Yes, Dublin Scioto won a state title in 1995 after being split from the original Dublin High. This was when they spilt into Scioto and Coffman.

Well didn't they try to add soccer at the same time?

THIS is a major problem for the Blanchard Valley Conference. Cory-Rawson already plays 8-man at the JH level and they seem to be heading in that direction. Another victim of being too small for both football and soccer. Vanlue might also fold. They might struggle to get 11 kids out in general. I understand the keeping your community identity by having your school but the Lue really could benefit academically and athletically with a merger with Arcadia. I know I toot the consolidation horn alot but it's the truth.
Just heard from an assistant coach who will be going against C-R said they have 30 out this year. Be interesting if those numbers stay that way by the start of camp. Big improvement if so.