Portage Trail Conference- Metro - Week 3

COLTCOUNTRY

Coventry (2-0) at Tallmadge (1-1)
Norton (1-1) at LaBrae (0-2)
Woodridge (1-1) at Chagrin Falls (0-2)
Buckeye (1-1) at Cloverleaf (1-1)
Kenmore-Garfield (1-1) at Springfield (0-2)
Mogadore (2-0) at Field (1-1)
Kent Roosevelt (1-1) at Ravenna (2-0)
Streetsboro (2-0) at Southeast (1-1)

So after two weeks, who is for real and who is benefiting from an easy OOC schedule?

Tallmadge
Norton
Woodridge
Buckeye
Kenmore-Garfield
Mogadore
Ravenna (They will get revenge from last season's loss)
Streetsboro

So, any takes on the Coventry-Tallmadge game? I don't know what Tallmadge brings. But it seems that Coventry has a decent running game this year, unlike last year when Rankin went down.

Last edited:
This is the worst woodridge team in 15 years. Beyond bad.

Definitely the worst of the last 5. Maybe (but probably not) last 10. No way last 15. But If this Woodridge team was playing in 2005 it would have been its best team in years, and will probably still compete for the league title this year.

So, any takes on the Coventry-Tallmadge game? I don't know what Tallmadge brings. But it seems that Coventry has a decent running game this year, unlike last year when Rankin went down.

Coventry does have a running game this year. They returned 27 starters from last years team. A more experienced offensive line (bigger and stronger) and an improved defense. Many players did not start all ten games last year but saw playing time at some point due to all the injuries. Junior Brendan Longwell had 122 yards rushing against Carrollton and one TD. Senior Calvin Dudley formally from Hoban added 88 yards rushing with two TD’s, one rushing and one passing. The Comets lost star QB Andrew Arnold and Austin Hinzman (WR) from last year to graduation but senior replacement Reese Brunson has been doing an adequate job so far at QB, passing for one TD against the Warriors. Backup sophomore QB Kenton Duty also scored a TD as a receiver. I know Kenmore-Garfield and Carrollton aren’t powerhouses but the Coventry defense lead by senior linebacker BJ Harris has given up only 7 points in the past two games. Tallmadge will be a much bigger challenge this week however. I know the Comets main goal will be to make the playoffs this year and a win over the Blue Devils would be big.

Last edited:
Coventry does have a running game this year. They returned 27 starters from last years team. A more experienced offensive line (bigger and stronger) and an improved defense. Many players did not start all ten games last year but saw playing time at some point due to all the injuries. Junior Brendan Longwell had 122 yards rushing against Carrollton and one TD. Senior Calvin Dudley formally from Hoban added 88 yards rushing with two TD’s, one rushing and one passing. The Comets lost star QB Andrew Arnold and Austin Hinzman (WR) from last year to graduation but senior replacement Reese Brunson has been doing an adequate job so far at QB, passing for one TD against the Warriors. Backup sophomore QB Kenton Duty also scored a TD as a receiver. I know Kenmore-Garfield and Carrollton aren’t powerhouses but the Coventry defense lead by senior linebacker BJ Harris has given up only 7 points in the past two games. Tallmadge will be a much bigger challenge this week however. I know the Comets main goal will be to make the playoffs this year and a win over the Blue Devils would be big.

A win over Tallmadge would be necessary for making the playoffs. Making the playoffs in R9 has been very difficult in recent seasons, given the number of quality programs in this region. And now with New Philly in this region, it will be worse. Coventry probably needs 9-1 to pull it off.

A win over Tallmadge would be necessary for making the playoffs. Making the playoffs in R9 has been very difficult in recent seasons, given the number of quality programs in this region. And now with New Philly in this region, it will be worse. Coventry probably needs 9-1 to pull it off.

9-1 is going to be a difficult task but your probably right. 8-2 might not do it (to make playoffs). Look what happened in 2017. Coventry was 8-2 and still didn’t make it.

Coventry class of 2017 alum, and current University of Akron WR, Dustin Burkhart, just had a breakout game in a 20-31 loss to the UAB Blazers on Saturdau. He had 8 receptions for a total of 217 yards. Go Comets.

Coventry class of 2017 alum, and current University of Akron WR, Dustin Burkhart, just had a breakout game in a 20-31 loss to the UAB Blazers on Saturdau. He had 8 receptions for a total of 217 yards. Go Comets.
View attachment 3583
Yes I saw this on Twitter from the Coventry Athletic website. Congrats to Dustin. I know he played basketball and was on the track and field team as well while in high school. Did he run track with you?

Last edited:
Yes I saw this on Facebook on the Coventry Athletic website. Congrats to Dustin. I know he played basketball and was on the track and field team as well while in high school. Did he run track with you?
I was in the class of 2015, so Dustin was a sophomore when I was a senior. I did the longer distance events, whereas, Dusty was in the short sprints. In 2015, he was kind of overshadowed on the track, by some of the athletes in my class, like Zach Lake, and Devon Jones, and Andrae Martin. Regardless, he still took a respectable 7th place finish at districts. And he played a crucial role in ensuring that the success that kind of started with my graduating class would continue long after we graduated.

Last edited:
I was in the class of 2015, so Dustin was a sophomore when I was a senior. I did the longer distance events, whereas, Dusty was in the short sprints. In 2015, he was kind of overshadowed on the track, by some of the athletes in my class, like Zach Lake, and Devon Jones, and Andrae Martin. Regardless, he still took a respectable 7th place finish at districts. And he played a crucial role in ensuring that the success that kind of started with my graduating class would continue long after we graduated.

That’s awesome. Yes I remember Zach Lake and Devon Jones. They excelled in football as well. Great memories for you...your track and field days ./QUOTE]

Last edited:
I think Streetsboro will be the team to beat this year. Krys Riley-Richardson is a phenomenal running back. Big & strong. Their offensive line has a lot of returners plus the team is well disciplined and coached. Ravenna is also very good. It may be the last year for coach Jim Lunardi. But their football program has been good for years. Coventry may be a year away. Many of their starters this year are juniors and sophomores. But look out next year for the Comets. Norton lost a lot on offense/defense but they still have their power running back Tyler Scott. Woodridge is somewhat rebuilding but their program is sound and always good. They will be up there. They have won the title three years straight. Cloverleaf is now competitive in this league and a definite threat. Field is much improved and will figure in a few upsets. Springfield, with the largest enrollment than any school in this league, won’t stay down forever if AD Kevin Vaughn stays in charge. Not sure if they retained Dave Bosko as their coach from last year. That’s my take on this league this year. Next year it will be a new league called the “Metro Athletic Conference” (MAC). The 15 school PTC will be disbanded.

Last edited:
I heard Tyler Scott was injured in the Barberton game. The articles from the Chippewa game didn't have anything on him, so I assumed he didn't play?What is the status of his injury?

Wow, that Calvin Dudley kid was a great pickup for Coventry. However, he is also an eye opener. I don't know what Calvin Dudley was at Hoban before he left for Coventry, whether he actually had a shot at starting for varsity or not. But if he was indeed one of their more average players, that is scary. Scary, how some average player on a hoban roster can come in and make a huge impact for a ptc team. And to think that Hobans whole team is stacked with many athletes just like Calvin. It just really puts into perspective what teams like Hoban are doing.

Ah well. Dudley is a comet now. And Coventry is now 3-0, with perhaps a statement win over a quality opponent in Tallmadge. This is the first time the Comets are 3-0 since 2011 I believe. Im not going to get ahead of myself. But if the playoffs were ever in the cards for a team like Coventry this season. Well, as of right now, it is still in the cards. For now.

Last edited:
Wow, that Calvin Dudley kid was a great pickup for Coventry. However, he is also an eye opener. I don't know what Calvin Dudley was at Hoban before he left for Coventry, whether he actually had a shot at starting for varsity or not. But if he was indeed one of their more average players, that is scary. Scary, how some average player on a hoban roster can come in and make a huge impact for a ptc team. And to think that Hobans whole team is stacked with many athletes just like Calvin. It just really puts into perspective what teams like Hoban are doing.

Ah well. Dudley is a comet now. And Coventry is now 3-0, with perhaps a statement win over a quality opponent in Tallmadge. This is the first time the Comets are 3-0 since 2011 I believe. Im not going to get ahead of myself. But if the playoffs were ever in the cards for a team like Coventry this season. Well, as of right now, it is still in the cards. For now.

Yes RB/WR Calvin Dudley has made quite an impact. Coach Ed Egan calls him our “secret weapon”. Said he has qualities similar to Treon Sibley (2017) and Austin Hinzman (2018) wrapped into one. He scored three touchdowns last night against Tallmadge, including his pick6. He must of been a starter for Hoban but I have no idea what he did there. RB Junior Brendan Longwell is quite the stud as well. He scored a 50 yard TD. The Comet defense has been superb. Linebackers BJ Harris and Austin Achberger leading the way. Streetsboro and Ravenna didn’t look so impressive this week. It’s still early, but this may be Coventry’s year. The Comets just need to clean up penalties/errors and they will do fine.

Last edited:

I wouldn't call it a statement win, this is the worst Tallmadge team since the 80's. Coventry was easily favored in this one.
Devils wont get you many playoff points when it's all said and done.

Yes RB/WR Calvin Dudley has made quite an impact. Coach Ed Egan calls him our “secret weapon”. Said he has qualities similar to Treon Sibley (2017) and Austin Hinzman (2018) wrapped into one. He scored two touchdowns last night against Tallmadge. He must of been a starter for Hoban but I have no idea what he did there. RB Junior Brendan Longwell is quite the stud as well. He scored a 50 yard TD. The Comet defense has been superb. Linebackers BJ Harris and Austin Achberger leading the way. Streetsboro and Ravenna didn’t look so impressive this week. It’s still early, but this may be Coventry’s year. The Comets just need to clean up penalties/errors and they will do fine.

Another observation. Looks like Coventry was dominating the line of scrimmage against the Blue Devils. Coventry was winning the Trenches. And against a team that is generally known for its own ability to win the trenches. This is new. Coventry has always been better at the skill positions but tended to struggle more in the trenches. Not this season.

I wouldn't call it a statement win, this is the worst Tallmadge team since the 80's. Coventry was easily favored in this one.
Devils wont get you many playoff points when it's all said and done.

Seems like you knew something most people did not. Most people, including Drew Pasteur, had Tallmadge heavily favored in this one.

Last edited:
Another observation. Looks like Coventry was dominating the line of scrimmage against the Blue Devils. Coventry was winning the Trenches. And against a team that is generally known for its own ability to win the trenches. This is new. Coventry has always been better at the skill positions but tended to struggle more in the trenches. Not this season.

Yes Coventry buffed up their offensive line during offseason this past year. Many hours of weight training at the Steelyard gym under Keith Shinn. He also trains many of the kids from Stow and Lake. I was up from Florida this summer training there myself and observed their workouts. I was very impressed.

Last edited: