Portage county league revisited

wildcat71

A former Windham superintendent, Crestwood female star athlete, and a local newspaper sportswriter are starting a grass roots effort to revive the old Portage county league. This is long overdue! Why some of the schools left were not wise for athletes or financial reasons!! Hopefully some of the schools return and a league with the following can happen.
Akron Springfield, Mantua Crestwood, Mogadore Field, Garrettsville Garfield, Mogadore, Lake Center Christian ( only if they add football), Ravenna Southeast, Rootstown, Atwater Waterloo and Windham. 9 or 10 team league.

A former Windham superintendent, Crestwood female star athlete, and a local newspaper sportswriter are starting a grass roots effort to revive the old Portage county league. This is long overdue! Why some of the schools left were not wise for athletes or financial reasons!! Hopefully some of the schools return and a league with the following can happen.
Akron Springfield, Mantua Crestwood, Mogadore Field, Garrettsville Garfield, Mogadore, Lake Center Christian ( only if they add football), Ravenna Southeast, Rootstown, Atwater Waterloo and Windham. 9 or 10 team league.
A primary reason that Crestwood joined the CVC was because all of the sports programs they offer are able to compete. Unless these schools begin building programs comparable to what Crestwood offers, I don't see them leaving the CVC no matter what anyone says.

Who cares about leagues with 16 making the playoffs.

A primary reason that Crestwood joined the CVC was because all of the sports programs they offer are able to compete. Unless these schools begin building programs comparable to what Crestwood offers, I don't see them leaving the CVC no matter what anyone says.
Really. Then why did they drop golf and swimming?? They are terrible in baseball and have been for about the last 9 years! Football, basketball have both suffered with the switch. And don't get me started on transportation costs and reduction in gate receipts!! Thinking maybe the residents aren't real happy from what I've heard...

lets be real here, nobody cares too much about this conference. The league is a joke now and if they were to form this league it would still be a joke with all these teams.

NEVER going to happen. Why would Field sign up to play the tiny schools in football? Mogadore and Windham have no soccer. Theres many more reasons it no longer exists.
not a chance in hell, Field competes really well in the new MAC conference. This guy only cares about football typical mogadore person

Really. Then why did they drop golf and swimming?? They are terrible in baseball and have been for about the last 9 years! Football, basketball have both suffered with the switch. And don't get me started on transportation costs and reduction in gate receipts!! Thinking maybe the residents aren't real happy from what I've heard...
I did not realize they dropped swimming and golf. My how things change in less than two years...

not a chance in hell, Field competes really well in the new MAC conference. This guy only cares about football typical mogadore
Competes very well?? How many football, basketball, wrestling, soccer championships do they have?? They didn't have many if any in the old PCL. Other than baseball, softball and cross country/track they would be better suited, less transportation costs and greater rivalries therefore bigger gate receipts. I've lived in the district and they are constantly asking for more $$$. Their biggest gates are if they schedule Mogadore and Rootstown, who both have defeated them in very recent memory. But as always some Field administrators think they are actually better such as when they made the famous leap to the Suburban league!!! Many years ago then crawled back seeking admission to the PCL!!

Competes very well?? How many football, basketball, wrestling, soccer championships do they have?? They didn't have many if any in the old PCL. Other than baseball, softball and cross country/track they would be better suited, less transportation costs and greater rivalries therefore bigger gate receipts. I've lived in the district and they are constantly asking for more $$$. Their biggest gates are if they schedule Mogadore and Rootstown, who both have defeated them in very recent memory. But as always some Field administrators think they are actually better such as when they made the famous leap to the Suburban league!!! Many years ago then crawled back seeking admission to the PCL
Competes very well?? How many football, basketball, wrestling, soccer championships do they have?? They didn't have many if any in the old PCL. Other than baseball, softball and cross country/track they would be better suited, less transportation costs and greater rivalries therefore bigger gate receipts. I've lived in the district and they are constantly asking for more $$$. Their biggest gates are if they schedule Mogadore and Rootstown, who both have defeated them in very recent memory. But as always some Field administrators think they are actually better such as when they made the famous leap to the Suburban league!!! Many years ago then crawled back seeking admission to the PCL!!
if you honestly think this will happen then think again because not a chance in hell. The PTC is a joke and there’s a reason the metro left. The county is ruined and won’t form again. Is it all about championships yes, but you’re not going to win one in every sport and they compete just fine

Well their facilities are lacking even by the PCL standards. Their football stadium has not been upgraded since my own kids were there in the early 90's. Wooden light poles, outdated lights. Their basketball gym is a total wreck. Seats maybe 500 all on 1 side. They had a chance to improve it when building was remodeled....nothing. They certainly don't have facilities like the other Metro schools!!

Well their facilities are lacking even by the PCL standards. Their football stadium has not been upgraded since my own kids were there in the early 90's. Wooden light poles, outdated lights. Their basketball gym is a total wreck. Seats maybe 500 all on 1 side. They had a chance to improve it when building was remodeled....nothing. They certainly don't have facilities like the other Metro schools!!
Nothing you can do when you have failed levys over and over again

I’d just wait and see what’s gonna happen I wouldn’t get your hopes up too much. Going to take a lot for something like this to happen

Field has recently won a boys soccer league championship and 3 straight girls soccer champs from 16-18'. Just saying, you asked if they were good at anything lately. Softball is really good every year too, many league championships in the last decade. Field baseball has had nice seasons in the last decade as well. They just stink at the two big ones, boys basketball and football.

But I played on the Field team that won the Suburban League in football in our 1st year. Pretty sure we beat Mogadore my sophomore and junior years as well as they were still on the schedule. But you are right. The jump to the Suburban was a drastic mistake in the long run.

I think Springfield has far deeper issues then what league they are in. Going to the proposed County League could certainly help them get back on their feet. But if they cant pass any more levies, it wont matter what league they are in...

At least they would have company if Atwater Waterloo rejoined as both have serious levy/ financial issues

At least they would have company if Atwater Waterloo rejoined as both have serious levy/ financial issues
Might as well throw Crestwood right there in the same class, can't remember how long it has been since they have passed one....enrollment seems to be dropping like a stone, school is falling apart at the seams

You are correct. I can remember when Mantua Crestwood was the largest school along with Ravenna Southeast in the old PCL. Both had graduating classes of 250+..now maybe 130- . Unbelievable

Field has recently won a boys soccer league championship and 3 straight girls soccer champs from 16-18'. Just saying, you asked if they were good at anything lately. Softball is really good every year too, many league championships in the last decade. Field baseball has had nice seasons in the last decade as well. They just stink at the two big ones, boys basketball and football.

You're right they really are terrible in the big 2.
In the last 4 years the boys basketball team is 21-71 overall and 13-43 in the MAC/PTC Metro. They are also 5-10 against the PTC County.
In that same timeframe the football team is 9-27 overall and 8-19 in the MAC/PTC Metro. They are only 1-6 against the PTC County.

That's another reason why Field wouldn't go to the PTC County. Some people like to be the big fish in the small pond. Field wouldn't even be that if they were to make a switch.

Field,Springfield, and Ravenna
Mogadore Field and Akron Springfield really need to join. But I think Field administrators think they are too good for a PCL league...maybe not the coaches so much who would have more equal competition and bigger gates!! Ravenna probably needs to stay in the MAC.

The problem at Field is the head administrator who lives in Huron Ohio. They say that is there three days a week. They need a person live in the area. Most of the coaches feel they are better in the PCL League. The first three football games are against PCL teams