Pope Francis Calls For Same-Sex Civil Union Law In New Documentary

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Pope Francis has called for legislation to protect same-sex couples, according to comments he made in a new documentary that mark a break from Catholic doctrine.

"Homosexuals have a right to be a part of the family. They are children of God and have a right to a family," the pope said in an interview in the documentary Francesco, which premiered Wednesday at the Rome Film Festival. "What we have to create is a civil union law. That way they are legally covered."

• Haha
Reactions: y2h

Marriage is defined in the church as man and woman. What does legally covered by the church mean. regarding civil unions? Is he making it a state matter or a church matter?
It looks to me like Pope Frank is saying that the civil authorities ought to provide a venue for protecting the various civil and legal rights/benefits of same-sex couples (since they DO exist), so (for example) a same-sex partner can be legally approved to visit (and/or make crucial health-care decisions for) a same-sex partner in the hospital... I don’t see anything in the brief statement copied above that suggests that the Pope is trying to change the Catholic Church’s definition of marriage. In other words, NO, I don’t see him making this a Church matter— if anything, it’s the exact opposite.

As a protestant this is a confusing situation.

Is the Pope alleging that homosexuals be afforded a civil union since they can not be married? Why stand for non marriage but simultaneously stand for a civil union which gives the appearance of sanctioning same sex relations and premarital sex?

Does the Pope speak in acceptance for homosexuals in a relationship when the Bible clearly says those who live in such relationships will not see heaven?

Does the Pope have authority to express acceptance for relationships that God forbids? Whose really in charge here?

I would hope the Pope would come to his senses and realize this view of his is entirely outside of what the word of God states about acceptable life style.

It looks to me like Pope Frank is saying that the civil authorities ought to provide a venue for protecting the various civil and legal rights/benefits of same-sex couples (since they DO exist), so (for example) a same-sex partner can be legally approved to visit (and/or make crucial health-care decisions for) a same-sex partner in the hospital... I don’t see anything in the brief statement copied above that suggests that the Pope is trying to change the Catholic Church’s definition of marriage. In other words, NO, I don’t see him making this a Church matter— if anything, it’s the exact opposite.
The Pope should make the Iranians have such laws.

A good % of traditional Catholic marriages end in divorce, so who cares if gays have some equivalent in the eyes of the Church?

If you’re more upset by this than the global pedophile ring, you need to re-examine things.

Actual Catholics are. This Pope is left of Marx.. Hes a disgrace.
He’s an idiot on Economics, but who really cares if gay unions (not even technically marriages) are recognized by the Church? Is it really that big of a deal? This is assuming they’re active members of the Parrish like everyone else.

Can I ask does this Pope read and study the Bible at all?
Does the Bible really act as a good guideline for modern society? There’s some lessons to be learned, but it’s not a practical document to navigate yourself through the world.

Being gay isn’t a choice, it’s something you’re born with. Not entirely difft from being or tit man. I understand the Alphabet club is obnoxious and frankly a drain on society. But there’s good people, who are involved in the Church and community that happen to have this proclivity. I think it’s very unchristian to deny them the same privileges everyone else in the Parrish enjoys.

As a protestant this is a confusing situation.

Is the Pope alleging that homosexuals be afforded a civil union since they can not be married? Why stand for non marriage but simultaneously stand for a civil union which gives the appearance of sanctioning same sex relations and premarital sex?

Does the Pope speak in acceptance for homosexuals in a relationship when the Bible clearly says those who live in such relationships will not see heaven?

Does the Pope have authority to express acceptance for relationships that God forbids? Whose really in charge here?

I would hope the Pope would come to his senses and realize this view of his is entirely outside of what the word of God states about acceptable life style.
The Pope is not saying who is going to see heaven (in fact, it is not for even the Pope to make that determination)— but we as Catholics are asked to pray for sinners all the time— we do not write people off, just because they are sinners— we always are asked to labor on as though all (much like the Apostle Paul) can be redeemed, even after a life time of sinning.

Second, the Pope has not expressed any acceptance of homosexual relationships by the Church— he is (here) asking that CIvil authorities extend some recognition— the Church’s position has not changed a whit.

The Pope has NOT changed his mind (or view) on what the “word of God” states about same-sex marriage— he is asking civil authorities to change rules on this- NOT the Church.

The Pope is not saying who is going to see heaven (in fact, it is not for even the Pope to make that determination)— but we as Catholics are asked to pray for sinners all the time— we do not write people off, just because they are sinners— we always are asked to labor on as though all (much like the Apostle Paul) can be redeemed, even after a life time of sinning.

Second, the Pope has not expressed any acceptance of homosexual relationships by the Church— he is (here) asking that CIvil authorities extend some recognition— the Church’s position has not changed a whit.

The Pope has NOT changed his mind (or view) on what the “word of God” states about same-sex marriage— he is asking civil authorities to change rules on this- NOT the Church.
You don't see helping someone form a civil union to conduct their life in a manner called out by HIS GOD (the Pope) to be analogous to seeing someone trying to commit suicide and running to find them a gun to be kind in helping them accomplish their goal?

You dont help a drug addict avoid addiction that will surely end in death by making sure the addict has ample supply of their drug across the street from their house.

Love all, yes absolutely.

On WLW the talk host said the Pope was for allowing such individuals to remain as fully accepted members of the church? If that is accurate, and the statement of allowing them to be part of the Family would seem to indicate it may be, then that opens an entire different page on acceptance of what God calls sin.