Poland Seminary vs. Salem 10/17/20

I don't see a thread on this one, so I apologize if it's duplicated. Not even sure if they are any Poland "regulars" on here. I have had the chance to see Poland twice in person this year, and only saw Salem on YSN this past week. Salem passes the eye test with some very large guys up front, and a QB that although only a Sophomore, can sling the ball and certainly can run. I am a little surprised that Salem hasn't had more success this year. My biggest fear for Poland is that although they have a very nice group, I am not sure besides South Range (week 1 loss) and Hubbard, they really haven't played anyone to test them.

As a Salem alum that used to be on teams (read: bench) that went against Poland in the MAC in the early 2000s, I still always want Salem to beat them by 100.

With Salem not in the conferences in the area, and with me also living where I don’t get Youngstown TV, I honestly don’t know a ton about Poland other than they’re good as they consistently always are. Does Salem have a shot and what do they need to do if so?

I have been waiting for this thread and I am looking forward to this game. Poland is a punishing football team both on offense and defense. They sometimes start slow on offense but eventually wear teams down with a huge line and a rotation of backs. The passing game hasn't been as strong as expected this year but it's there with two very capable receivers.

The South Range game was a shocker to everyone. Not because SR isn't good; but, because Poland had missed 2 weeks of doubles and just wasn't ready. They still hung in there. I have to beg to differ on Hubbard - they were no challenge. The Poland D held Caffey - a kid who had previously rushed for 300 yards and who rushed for 259 against Alliance - to 79 yards, and some of that came at garbage time.

I don't know much about Salem but I suspect they are in for a long night. The backs are going to get hit and the QB had better have his head on a swivel as Poland has over 20 sacks in 6 games. I wouldn't sleep on Salem but I think Poland wins by a fair margin.

Poland may start slow but as someone else said they wear on teams. If Salem can score in a hurry this week like they did vs Struthers it could be a good one. But we’ll see. Salem will be ready to play. Johnson over there had a GREAT gameplan last week.

Struthers ran for 280 last week and they haven’t done that all year, poland will have their way running the ball with ease. Salem will need to throw the ball with accuracy and then hope for some poland turnovers. You have to have the lead going into the second half against Poland because that’s when they start to control the game with their line play. Poland wins because of their linebackers and line play this week

Do you know anything about either of these teams?

Unfortunately I have not seen either of them this year but I have seen both a few times in the past and I am somewhat familiar with the schedules they play, opponent strength, playoff history, etc. Having said that historically I would make Falls a favorite over Field. I would agree with Buckeye Elite that Poland would be a favorite over either. I think I might make Salem a slight favorite over Field and a dog against Falls. Again this is without seeing either of them this season so take it for what it's worth.

Unfortunately I have not seen either of them this year but I have seen both a few times in the past and I am somewhat familiar with the schedules they play, opponent strength, playoff history, etc. Having said that historically I would make Falls a favorite over Field. I would agree with Buckeye Elite that Poland would be a favorite over either. I think I might make Salem a slight favorite over Field and a dog against Falls. Again this is without seeing either of them this season so take it for what it's worth.
I would agree with you salem would beat field, Chagrin isn’t as formidable as they were about 8 years ago, but they would have a punchers chance against Poland, but Poland would run right through field

Haven’t been able to see the Dogs too much this season. Like others have said Poland has a pretty dominant oline. They have a stable of running backs, but no real blazers. They do have bruisers who can really hit the hole hard.

I have no idea how good the defensive backs are in the passing game. I do know Poland has played the run very well. They also can get pressure in the passing game.

Haven’t been able to see the Dogs too much this season. Like others have said Poland has a pretty dominant oline. They have a stable of running backs, but no real blazers. They do have bruisers who can really hit the hole hard.

I have no idea how good the defensive backs are in the passing game. I do know Poland has played the run very well. They also can get pressure in the passing game.

The sophomore, Barringer (#26), is the fastest of the backs. The others, as you said, are bruisers. The QB, Fulton, is a capable runner and there is some speed at WR.

The DBs may be tested but the D line is so disruptive that opposing QBs rarely have time to get deep passes. Please don't get me wrong...while I am high on Poland, they are not without a few weaknesses. I just won't discuss them here! ?

The sophomore, Barringer (#26), is the fastest of the backs. The others, as you said, are bruisers. The QB, Fulton, is a capable runner and there is some speed at WR.

The DBs may be tested but the D line is so disruptive that opposing QBs rarely have time to get deep passes. Please don't get me wrong...while I am high on Poland, they are not without a few weaknesses. I just won't discuss them here! ?
The centofanti kid will be able to go 1 on 1 with most receivers especially being 6’2/6’3 with speed. If you wanna throw effectively against Poland you’ll have to block the line very well because you may hit a couple plays but getting sacked and moved behind the sticks will result in a punt. Also if you throw picks or fumble against Poland the game will get ugly in a hurry.

For what it’s worth Calpreps has Field rated higher than both Chagrin Falls and Salem. And Poland is the highest rated team in the region. Just an objective tool for us to use in this weird season.

Everyone with a brain should be able to point out fultons accuracy and their kick return coverage as weak spots, just hope the kid kicks it for a touchback most of the time. Fulton when he rolls out is deadly, but when he’s forced to sit in the pocket and throw he tends to let the ball sail. But if he takes off he can also get a big chunk with his legs, big and strong

For what it’s worth Calpreps has Field rated higher than both Chagrin Falls and Salem. And Poland is the highest rated team in the region. Just an objective tool for us to use in this weird season.
I never look at cal preps anymore, not as accurate as it used to be. I’ll go with teams who are regularly in the playoffs with coaching staffs who know how to coach in the post season

So, the Mogadore Field vs. Chagrin Falls game has been declared "no contest" with CF moving on to face the winner of Poland/Salem. I have seen forfeited and canceled during this crazy postseason but not "no contest." Any thoughts?

So, the Mogadore Field vs. Chagrin Falls game has been declared "no contest" with CF moving on to face the winner of Poland/Salem. I have seen forfeited and canceled during this crazy postseason but not "no contest." Any thoughts?

I read many years ago that by OHSAA definition a game that is never started cannot be a forfeit. I believe you will find that all of these cancelled playoff games will be listed as No Contest by OHSAA.

Poland wins going away tonight. Too big, too physical. The week off will do the Bulldogs some good this week. Ursuline vs Poland matchup is what I want to see.
Yeah, that seems to be the classic speed versus brute force matchup. Should be good if everything holds true.