Please post updates from the scimmages this weekend!!

Thanks for the summary.

I assume Johnson started in at QB1? Does it look like they may move forward with Prather?

With the scoring passes-were they more rhythmic passes that ended in a score or via long balls?

Johnson started at QB and ran the option from under center. Prather went in and ran a spread offense with about 90% passes. His first pass was a perfectly thrown bomb for a touchdown. After that there was a blend of rhythmic passes and long balls. I was impressed with the route running of the receivers. Johnson was given most of the reps with the 1st team offense. Based on what I saw last year and in the scrimmage yesterday I would prefer to see Johnson playing at receiver or running back and Prather at QB. Johnson's passing ability is very limited. With their undersized running backs I don't think Colerain will be able to rely on the running game as much as they have in the past and Prather gives them the best chance for a mix.

Colerain is going to be terrifying defensively. Also, am I wrong to think Elder will be the best team in Cincinnati this year?
Winton Woods in the best team in Cincinnati, regardless of division. Ive see 9 different teams scrimmge so far.

Winton Woods in the best team in Cincinnati, regardless of division. Ive see 9 different teams scrimmge so far.

I know their offense is great but it’s the best team in all of Cincinnati ? Defensively they gave up over 500 yards and a lot of points to a 5-5 Olentangy Team last year . What’s the defense look like ?

Moeller at Colerain

Colerain first. Let me set the record straight. Colerain first offense did not score on Moeller defense. Colerain has to immediately make the change at QB. I would like to know how the #1 QB beat out that back up. There are 12 days until opening kick off, make the change today! I told my friend that Colerain was going to claim a "win" in the scrimmage because that is what they were trying to do, while Moeller was just trying to get better. I noticed 3 special talents of the field. 1 the Moeller QB. He is nice, has some tools and throws a decent ball. Had he started at QB as he should had he would be alot further along at this point. The problem with the Moe QB and offense as a whole is lack of speed. No explosive weapons around Verdon. Moe had to use Valentine just to give a slight threat of speed. The offense will struggle all season but it wont be because of the QB. 2. The Pace kid is the real deal back there at safety. He is a mistake eraser. Colerain also had to use him on offense as speed threat. And its strange that Colerain doesnt have backs that can explode for a long TD at any moment. Moe was stuffing the option. 3. The Moeller placekicker is very good too. If that was an actual game he might had single handily won it for Moe. And a message to both teams get away from the rugby style punters. They are going to get punts block right and left, especially Moe. He is holding the ball way too long. So in closing Colerain scored twice when the 2s and 3s were in, Moeller scored once when 2s and 3s were in. The 1s played to a scorless stalemate. Any questions?

Moeller at Colerain

Colerain first. Let me set the record straight. Colerain first offense did not score on Moeller defense. Colerain has to immediately make the change at QB. I would like to know how the #1 QB beat out that back up. There are 12 days until opening kick off, make the change today! I told my friend that Colerain was going to claim a "win" in the scrimmage because that is what they were trying to do, while Moeller was just trying to get better. I noticed 3 special talents of the field. 1 the Moeller QB. He is nice, has some tools and throws a decent ball. Had he started at QB as he should had he would be alot further along at this point. The problem with the Moe QB and offense as a whole is lack of speed. No explosive weapons around Verdon. Moe had to use Valentine just to give a slight threat of speed. The offense will struggle all season but it wont be because of the QB. 2. The Pace kid is the real deal back there at safety. He is a mistake eraser. Colerain also had to use him on offense as speed threat. And its strange that Colerain doesnt have backs that can explode for a long TD at any moment. Moe was stuffing the option. 3. The Moeller placekicker is very good too. If that was an actual game he might had single handily won it for Moe. And a message to both teams get away from the rugby style punters. They are going to get punts block right and left, especially Moe. He is holding the ball way too long. So in closing Colerain scored twice when the 2s and 3s were in, Moeller scored once when 2s and 3s were in. The 1s played to a scorless stalemate. Any questions?

I agree with most of what you said except the Colerain punter has not had an issue with blocked punts. Same punter from last year.

I agree with most of what you said except the Colerain punter has not had an issue with blocked punts. Same punter from last year.
Is he a rubgy style? His first two punts were hideous then he boomed a 60 yarder. I thought he held the ball too long.

Last edited:
Is he a rubgy style? His first to punts were hideous then he boomed a 60 yarder. I thought he held the ball too long.

He kicks rugby style and his first two kicks were not the norm. There's nothing wrong with holding the ball if there is no pressure to allow the coverage to get down field. Colerain has a lot of flaws this year but I don't think he is one of them.

He kicks rugby style and his first two kicks were not the norm. There's nothing wrong with holding the ball if there is no pressure to allow the coverage to get down field. Colerain has a lot of flaws this year but I don't think he is one of them.
I understand. Do you think the Cards would had won that game yesterday? To me the option looked rough especially considering these kids supposedly been running it since they started walking as toddlers.

I understand. Do you think the Cards would had won that game yesterday? To me the option looked rough especially considering these kids supposedly been running it since they started walking as toddlers.

I thought the option looked awful and the game was pretty much a draw with the ones. The offense will not move the ball against the better teams without Prather at QB. The JV's lost one game last year with Prather running the offense from under center. He's better than just a spread offense passing QB. They are wasting a talent by playing them both at QB. I don't think we can assume that what they did in yesterday's scrimmage is the way they will start the season. They have a QB that can throw the ball and I think they will have to pass more to score.

As far as Moeller is concerned I think their lack of speed will kill them and I didn't see the same thing you saw in their QB. The Moeller placekicker was outstanding last year and is probably one of the best in the state.

I thought the option looked awful and the game was pretty much a draw with the ones. The offense will not move the ball against the better teams without Prather at QB. The JV's lost one game last year with Prather running the offense from under center. He's better than just a spread offense passing QB. They are wasting a talent by playing them both at QB. I don't think we can assume that what they did in yesterday's scrimmage is the way they will start the season. They have a QB that can throw the ball and I think they will have to pass more to score.

As far as Moeller is concerned I think their lack of speed will kill them and I didn't see the same thing you saw in their QB. The Moeller placekicker was outstanding last year and is probably one of the best in the state.
I do feel like the Colerain defense can turn things up a notch or two. They were decent yesterday but come game time they are going to get after some folks . Secondary is the defense weak spot but Pace is cleaning up all those mistakes.

I know their offense is great but it’s the best team in all of Cincinnati ? Defensively they gave up over 500 yards and a lot of points to a 5-5 Olentangy Team last year . What’s the defense look like ?
An outstanding dline with incredible strength and quickness. Length, speed and depth from front to back.

I do feel like the Colerain defense can turn things up a notch or two. They were decent yesterday but come game time they are going to get after some folks . Secondary is the defense weak spot but Pace is cleaning up all those mistakes.

Pace is the only returning DB. I think they are going to have to protect their secondary with pressure up front.

Pace is the only returning DB. I think they are going to have to protect their secondary with pressure up front.
The Lakota West scrimmage will be telling. Afari, Jones and the crew will bring the intensity of a regular season game. I wander how the Cards respond.

I'm surprised that we disagree on the Moeller QB. He would be pretty good if he had some weapons around him. But he doesnt have anything and it will get frustrating for that offense. I was looking for Rotello and could not identify him. Im sure he wasnt used at RB.