Playoffs Round 2: Best Chances at an Upset?

These would be seed upsets that I could see happening. I'm not necessarily calling all of them, but these stand out to me:

D1 R1: #5 St. Ignatius over #4 Euclid (Not really an upset)
D2 R2: #6 Wayne over #3 Springfield (Rematch of a game Springfield won 21-14)
D1 R4: #5 Colerain over #4 Mason (Not really an upset)
D1 R4: #7 Elder over #2 Princeton
DII R5: #11 Boardman over #6 Painesville Riverside
DII R8: #9 Troy over #8 Edgewood
DIII R12: #20 Goshen over #4 New Richmond (Rematch of a game Goshen won, 24-6 in Week 6)
DIII R12: #10 Mount Healthy over #7 Tipp City
DIV R13: #12 Mentor Lake Catholic over #5 Canton South
DIV R16: #11 Eaton over #6 Graham
DVI R21: #9 St. Thomas Aquinas over #8 Trinity
DVI R21: #11 Canton Central Catholic over #6 United
DVI R24: #19 Parkway over #3 Adena
DVI R24: #11 Minster over #6 Allen East
DVI R27: #9 Berne Union over #8 Eastern
DVII R28: #10 Tri-County North over #7 Ansonia (Rematch of a game Ansonia won 22-21)

Moeller could pull a major upset against X... or get beat by 40.

Elder over Princeton would be an upset in seed only I think, but should be a fun game to watch... first to 70 wins.

I am intrigued in this game because Adena hasn’t played anyone, their league the Scioto Valley Conference is down imo and has been a weak conference for the past few season, how will they fare against better competition.

Adena is a big, fast team. The running game is very strong, and they have length and speed on the outside while Sykes is also an accurate passer, especially downfield. They're really good in the trenches on both sides of the ball. They're DB's are strong, collecting I believe 15ints in their 6 gms. Their run defense forces teams to throw the ball. They have playoff experience, giving a great Mechanicsburg team all they could handle in last years playoffs. I look for Adena to come out big in this one!

If the MAC cellar dweller that went 0-6 in the regular season can beat the best that the SVC has to offer then maybe football should be dropped by the SVC and focus on round ball and baseball. I know that the MAC is a gauntlet and vastly superior to the SVC in FB but come on man, MAC's worst better than another conference's champ. Not happening!

If the MAC cellar dweller that went 0-6 in the regular season can beat the best that the SVC has to offer then maybe football should be dropped by the SVC and focus on round ball and baseball. I know that the MAC is a gauntlet and vastly superior to the SVC in FB but come on man, MAC's worst better than another conference's champ. Not happening!

not saying it will happen but it will bean interesting game.

Marysville #7 Seed At #2 Seed Northmont

Sorry folks, regardless of what some website says, this would be an upset. When a 7 seed beats a 2 seed on the road, that's an upset in any sport.

Adena is a big, fast team. The running game is very strong, and they have length and speed on the outside while Sykes is also an accurate passer, especially downfield. They're really good in the trenches on both sides of the ball. They're DB's are strong, collecting I believe 15ints in their 6 gms. Their run defense forces teams to throw the ball. They have playoff experience, giving a great Mechanicsburg team all they could handle in last years playoffs. I look for Adena to come out big in this one!

again I find it to be an intriguing match up. I think Adena will win just an interesting first round game. obviously they will get to play much better teams as they keep winning and going further into the playoffs.

That score was 32-7 Burg!!!

I like Fremont Ross's chances over Medina Highland. If they stay healthy, that team has the potential to surprise some people - and they are mainly sophomores. The sophomore QB has accounted for over 2,000 yards in 6 games + 2 quarters. Their defense is perhaps their achilles heal.

Sorry folks, regardless of what some website says, this would be an upset. When a 7 seed beats a 2 seed on the road, that's an upset in any sport.

I get the seed dynamic , but to me an upset is a case of a lesser team beating a team that has established itself to be superior to the other team with evidence to prove it . Different styles here , but in terms of the teams overall strength ? Pretty even to me , so in this case of 2 vs 7 ? 7 winning isn’t a surprise at all . I feel a true upset would have to be at least somewhat surprising . This one wouldn’t be .

I get the seed dynamic , but to me an upset is a case of a lesser team beating a team that has established itself to be superior to the other team with evidence to prove it . Different styles here , but in terms of the teams overall strength ? Pretty even to me , so in this case of 2 vs 7 ? 7 winning isn’t a surprise at all . I feel a true upset would have to be at least somewhat surprising . This one wouldn’t be .

My facts are straight seeding...2 vs 7 and the 2 is at Home.

I will say this if Northmont hasn't faced a Physical Team yet this year, they will this Friday. They better buckle up the chinstraps and get ready. This years Marysville team reminds me of the Brian White Davidson teams, they will hit you right in the mouth play after play, even if you do load the box.

Should be a good one !

I will say this if Northmont hasn't faced a Physical Team yet this year, they will this Friday. They better buckle up the chinstraps and get ready. This years Marysville team reminds me of the Brian White Davidson teams, they will hit you right in the mouth play after play, even if you do load the box.

Should be a good one !

With more size than a lot of Whites later teams though .

Not as inconceivable as you may think. The MAC is pretty good at football. I only had to go back 2 years to find this (I'm sure it's happened a lot more than this).

2017: Parkway 14, Spencerville 13

Parkway finished the year 1-9. Spencerville finished 8-2 (7-0 NWC Champs) and even won a playoff game that season.

Should be a good one !
Northmont has played physical teams as well as teams that control the clock. Im not sure they have played a team who blitzes as much as Marysville and will do it play after play. Also not sure if Marysville has played a team this year (not familiar with their schedule) who is going to lineup and throw the ball 40-50 times either and has to big d1 playmakers at receiver

I like Fremont Ross's chances over Medina Highland. If they stay healthy, that team has the potential to surprise some people - and they are mainly sophomores. The sophomore QB has accounted for over 2,000 yards in 6 games + 2 quarters. Their defense is perhaps their achilles heal.
No perhaps about it. The Little Giants can sometimes struggle on D. No matter which team wins, i don't think it would be an upset.

Don’t agree. U r right to some extent. I think Marysville is a tad better. I think they end up control clock and win. Northmont defense couldn’t stop their run game. Now if northmont can score every time they have ball then maybe. Marysville is a very good team

Northmont has played physical teams as well as teams that control the clock. Im not sure they have played a team who blitzes as much as Marysville and will do it play after play. Also not sure if Marysville has played a team this year (not familiar with their schedule) who is going to lineup and throw the ball 40-50 times either and has to big d1 playmakers at receiver

Agreed. Rice is always running for his life. O line can’t run block either. I think most line is young. Big but need polishing. I think next year they b better o line. Rice has make plays every time. Now unless it’s just style roll out type plays to help the o line. But a big strong team blitzing would b problematic for bolts. But the. Again they played some really good teams this year. 4 really good teams. I just don’t see bolts winning this. I hope I’m wrong and the defense plays hard. I don’t think Marysville will destroy them by no means. I see bolts putting some points up. But I’ll say 28. 21 type game.

Don’t agree. U r right to some extent. I think Marysville is a tad better. I think they end up control clock and win. Northmont defense couldn’t stop their run game. Now if northmont can score every time they have ball then maybe. Marysville is a very good team

We can agree to disagree, that's the great thing about America and Yappi.....;)

I'm sure that Marysville hasn't seen two WR's like Northmont's has or a QB transfer like the one the Bolts got.

One key element about Marysville that a lot of folks don't know is, they have more Wrestlers playing/starting varsity football than anyone in Central Ohio and probably the state. From 145 to HWT they all play football, and have played both sports for a while. Marysville is a very tough team to face in wrestling also. Westerville North is 2nd in central Ohio with starters for both sports followed closely by Lancaster.

You guys got your wrestling update for today !

I think Hilliard Bradley has a shot against Reynoldsburg.
Basically a pick em game . Bradley only won one league game {" beat Davidson who won none } not because they were bad but because the league was strong and they lost two of them that could have easily gone the other way . One point loss to UA and got beat in the last seconds on a hook and ladder play . Their QB Mirgon is as good a runner and escape artist as anyone I have seen in a while . Should be a very good game

I'm sure that Marysville hasn't seen two WR's like Northmont's has or a QB transfer like the one the Bolts got.

One key element about Marysville that a lot of folks don't know is, they have more Wrestlers playing/starting varsity football than anyone in Central Ohio and probably the state. From 145 to HWT they all play football, and have played both sports for a while. Marysville is a very tough team to face in wrestling also. Westerville North is 2nd in central Ohio with starters for both sports followed closely by Lancaster.

Yes the M-Ville kids have been doing both sports for a while now , the football team has gotten better lately , the wrestling program has been strong for a while.

Presently Coffman is the top Central Ohio wrestling program , but they don't have as big a football crossover. I believe only two are on the team with one starting or in the rotation, OLB/ DB Broskie who was a state qualifier at 170 "{ plays FB at a heavier weight } and Sophomore OL Halter who is a heavyweight at about 275. Not sure how good he is FB wise , but has some promise in wrestling I hear..

Last edited:

I agree that it will be a very good game and that Marysville will have a good shot to win. However, as physical as they are it is hard to compare them to Brian Whites group at Davidson because Marysville does not utilize the option. Because of that Marysville is much easier to prepare for. With that said even if you know what Marysville is going to do you have to match them in physicality. If you can look them in the eye physically they will not score very many points. They have near zero ability to put the ball in the air. Strictly basic wing T attack with minimal misdirection. Now luckily for Marysville they normally do not have to score very many points to win because of their strong defense. They have a future Buckeye at linebacker who has a true nose for the ball. I would suggest Northmont attacks the opposite side of the field that Gabe Powers is on. Marysville excels at stopping the run and they also blitz extremely well. It will be a tall task for the QB Rice. Marysville also has a decent secondary but they have not seen receivers quite like the ones they will see in Kettering. If Rice can get the ball off this could be big play central. This will be a great game. Best of luck to both teams.