Playoff Week 3: St. Xavier

Spille

What does E have to do to beat X next week? Aside, from playing a clean game, no turnovers and no penalties, what do they need to do to win? Control the clock on the ground and limit X possessions. What else?

Play the game of their lives....X has been getting better every week and are damn good. Hambleton will need to be great to help make it a shootout. X is likely going to score a lot.

What does E have to do to beat X next week? Aside, from playing a clean game, no turnovers and no penalties, what do they need to do to win? Control the clock on the ground and limit X possessions. What else?
I’m pulling for X— but if Elder is going to win, they are going to have to exploit the Ramsey/Nieman advantage versus X’s defensive secondary to the maximum degree— Elder will NOT win by running the ball.

Having said that, there is ONE scenario that might run counter to that— if Ramsey (coach) puts Ramsey (son) at QB— and tells him to run around and make plays— that strategy resulted in one particularly notable upset OT win for Elder at X a few years ago, with the earlier Ramsey (son—now at IU)— X has ALWAYS struggled to contain athletic, scrambling QBs—as all Elder fans will know all too well (and X fans still lament) from LAST YEAR’s playoff matchup.

I fully expect St X to double, if not triple team, Ramsey. No way they let him go off. Elder must be less predictable. More Sabato. More Niemann. More Johnson.

Elder is also going to have to get lucky and win the turnover battle. X is damn good.

Elder will not control the clock on the ground, Hambleton will have to be on his game.

Play the game of their lives....X has been getting better every week and are damn good. Hambleton will need to be great to help make it a shootout. X is likely going to score a lot.

That’s a bit strong. X is really good and a solid favorite, but they’re not a juggernaut.

This will be the sixth time Elder and St. Xavier have met in the playoffs. History is not on Elder's side as only in 2009, did the team who won the regular season meeting not win in the playoffs. This will be the first time--perhaps in the 97 or 98 year history of the rivalry--that both schools have hosted a meeting of the two teams on campus.
Regular Season at St. XavierSt. Xavier 16-13
Playoffs at NippertSt. Xavier 21-14
Regular Season at ElderElder 21-17
Playoffs at NippertElder 20-14
Regular Season at St. XavierSt. Xavier 18-0
Playoffs at St. XavierSt. Xavier 45-14
Regular Season at St. XavierSt. Xavier 17-7
Playoffs at NippertElder 17-14
Regular Season at St. XavierElder 31-28
Playoffs at MasonElder 28-24

Last edited:
One thing Elder absolutely cannot do is leave points on the field. They lost up to 17 points with the red zone ints and missed FG. I think it’s safe to say they won’t beat X doing that.

Last edited:
That’s a bit strong. X is really good and a solid favorite, but they’re not a juggernaut.

this is true and anytime Elder and StX play it is going to be a tough game for each program. one thing StX has going right now is this is the healthiest the team has been all season. TE#1 did do some kickoffs vs Moeller but if he get cleared to go back to TE that will be another big weapon for the STX offense

im biased, but he isn't far from the truth. seen a lot of teams this fall and x is best TEAM in the region.

hope game is on spectrum again.

jtk
()

It seems to me that usually the better team that particular year wins this game. I think X has the better team this year. Anything can happen though. If the D can hold them to mid 20's then I'll take Elder. Hambleton will have to have a great game for Elder to win. We can't turn the ball over and leave points on the Field like last week.

im biased, but he isn't far from the truth. seen a lot of teams this fall and x is best TEAM in the region.

jtk
()

I've just been seeing their QB (whether it's McCaughey or Nolan) putting up big numbers and Elder's defense is going to struggle with that.

X scrimmaged LW and when it was 1st team vs 1st team, they won convincingly. Obviously much can change but X is the favorite to win the region.

jtk
()
I agree about X being the best team in the region, but this isn’t exactly David vs Goliath. Elder was leading the first game up until the 4th qtr.

If Elder wins it would be an upset, but it wouldn’t be a shocking upset, like Medina beating Eds.

X offense is just to good against a subpar defensive team for Elder. Im thrilled Ramsey has decided to play guys both ways as that helped them a lot against Princeton. X is putting up record breaking numbers the past 4 weeks and i expect that to continue. Either way this was a solid season for E hopefully they can extend it this weekend.

. Im thrilled Ramsey has decided to play guys both ways as that helped them a lot against Princeton.
This is one of things I’ve been pushing for yrs, just want to take a victory lap on that.

Anyway, this will be a true test for the D. Outside of Clifford, X doesn’t have the speed at the skill positions that hurts Elder. However, they’re far more balanced and better coached. Elder can’t essentially play prevent/Quarters cvg and challenge X to beat them on Short & intermediate routes. X’s QB is too skilled & too accurate not to slice up the Elder Defense in that scenario.

X’s D is going to make Hambleton beat them. They will double/triple team Ramsey, doing whatever it takes to make him a non factor. Hambleton needs to be more poised in the pocket and make better decisions under pressure. If he can find his check downs a little sooner, that could help a great deal.

I thought Hambleton played pretty well against StX in the first game. It was Elder's Defense, Special Teams, and Ramsey that didn't get much done in that game

I thought Hambleton played pretty well against StX in the first game. It was Elder's Defense, Special Teams, and Ramsey that didn't get much done in that game

He played VERY well. Almost 300 yards passing and 3 TDs. He pretty much exposed the X secondary.

X has been the only gameplan so far this year that has made it a point to take away Ramsey’s running. They also have the front 7 to do it.

You can guarantee that Specht is going to have a plan for Ramsey and Nieman. And while also getting pressure on the QB.

Elder D must be excellent for a Win in this one. Would not be shocked at all to see X come out running the ball early and often. Hambleton just needs to take what they are giving.

He played VERY well. Almost 300 yards passing and 3 TDs. He pretty much exposed the X secondary.

X has been the only gameplan so far this year that has made it a point to take away Ramsey’s running. They also have the front 7 to do it.

You28- can guarantee that Specht is going to have a plan for Ramsey and Nieman. And while also getting pressure on the QB.
While I agree with this, wasn’t the final score 28-14?

St. Xavier wins this game, because they have better endurance. They also push harder and fight harder.

"I think we have better endurance than them," St. Xavier's Kellom said of the fourth quarter onslaught. "We push harder. We fight harder. That gets the job done. There's nothing like it. Especially in The Pit."

St. Xavier entire offense last year will be playing college football, and they still couldn't beat Elder and had 2 chances.

Matthew Rueve Boston College
Kellen Newman Butler
Liam Clifford Penn St.
Marshall Lang Northwestern
Entire offensive line

I don’t think you can get 2 other people on this site to agree with you that on paper Elder was the far superior team last year. This year I would say the opposite is true. The game Friday will come down to the Nose Guard from X, if he can control the center of the line not let the guards have free reign to pull and create running lanes Ramsey will have a hard time running and I just don’t believe Elder can win a passing shootout. But that is why they play the games