Playoff Time

Eds, iggy, shaker, u school, St john's Jesuit, and sylvania northview all have shots. I highly doubt another team outside of these wins this state tourney.

My picks for tournament winners:

Columbus - Jerome
SWOHSHL - Centerville
Baron - St Ig.

Watch for both Jerome and Centerville to have early exits from District Tourney, however. Liberty will likely move on from Columbus District. (Moeller is my darkhorse pick).

St. Igs wins State without breaking a sweat... ( Shaker will give them the most trouble though).

Jerome is a very good team but i can see them getting ousted early in the tournament. Liberty has been struggling of late but i think if they have a good running in the CBJ cup than that could boost their confidence for state. I think Coffman will surprise some people along with Orange. Moeller goes as their goaltending and 1st line go which is a bit concerning considering most top teams in the state have 3 solid lines. They have had injuries to a few players so it will be interesting to see how they play full strength

Prediction

Baron Cup: St. Ignatius - who could imagine anyone else
Blue Jacket Cup: Jerome (on the strength of goaltending)
SWOHSHL: Springboro (Centerville doesn't have a chance - suspect goaltending, one in jail, one broken collarbone, etc.)

Those who pick Ignatius to cruise probably are unaware that they are currently without two of their best three players (Geither, McQuinn are out). McQuinn is done for the season; Geither is expected back by the time the playoffs begin. Anyhoo, Ignatius may be favored, but I don't think they're going to steamroll US, Shaker or Ed's.

I noticed that there are several teams in NEO that don't play in the Greater Cleveland High School Hockey League but are in the OHSAA tournament. Gilmour, Westlake, Avon...any others?

I noticed that there are several teams in NEO that don't play in the Greater Cleveland High School Hockey League but are in the OHSAA tournament. Gilmour, Westlake, Avon...any others?

I think that's it. Avon and Westlake will likely be petitioning to get into the GCHSHL in the next year or two.

Anyone else feel bad for these teams that get beat 10-0 in the first round. Why don't they have a tournament for all of these teams that have no business playing against the big boys. Would the tournament really suffer that much if it cut out some of those teams. Start the tournament in the district semi's, instead of sectional finals. There are 0 upsets of competitive teams vs. bottom dwellers in that first round... They can have a tournament of maybe 24 teams and find their own winner. It wouldn't be as embarassing as getting mercied in the 2nd period by a big D1 school.

Anyone else feel bad for these teams that get beat 10-0 in the first round. Why don't they have a tournament for all of these teams that have no business playing against the big boys. Would the tournament really suffer that much if it cut out some of those teams. Start the tournament in the district semi's, instead of sectional finals. There are 0 upsets of competitive teams vs. bottom dwellers in that first round... They can have a tournament of maybe 24 teams and find their own winner. It wouldn't be as embarassing as getting mercied in the 2nd period by a big D1 school.

It's an OHSAA sanctioned sport. They have rules about how many divisions there are based on the number of schools playing the sport. The number of schools supports only one division.

Plus I kind of like the set up. Sort of like Indiana basketball champ a' la Hoosiers. There are some second round upsets too. If it weren't for Ignatious this year, I would say the State Chapionship is wide open....

It's an OHSAA sanctioned sport. They have rules about how many divisions there are based on the number of schools playing the sport. The number of schools supports only one division.

And beyond that, there would still be uncompetitive early round games in a two division format because schools like University School and Gilmour Academy, among other powerhouses, would likely be in the small schools division.

I think that's it. Avon and Westlake will likely be petitioning to get into the GCHSHL in the next year or two.

This is Avon's first year as a varsity program, and first year to compete in the OHSAA playoffs. They beat Parma 6-0 tonight, and their "reward" is to face Ed's on Saturday. I expect they will apply to join with the other Cleveland area teams ASAP.

This is Avon's first year as a varsity program, and first year to compete in the OHSAA playoffs. They beat Parma 6-0 tonight, and their "reward" is to face Ed's on Saturday. I expect they will apply to join with the other Cleveland area teams ASAP.

What do you mean? They're towards the bottom of the totem poll, so even when they do join the GCHSHL, they're still almost certainly going to be looking at first or second round playoff matchups with schools like Eds, Iggy, Padua, Shaker, etc.

What do you mean? They're towards the bottom of the totem poll, so even when they do join the GCHSHL, they're still almost certainly going to be looking at first or second round playoff matchups with schools like Eds, Iggy, Padua, Shaker, etc.

I mean that I'm sure they had fun whooping up on Parma, but now they face a state power...and the fun time on the ice, and the season, is over.

Ignatius opens up its state tourney run with a 7-0 win over Padua, raising its record for the year to 37-0. Ignatius will next face the winner of Amherst-Rocky River.

Anyone have a take on why Padua, the #7 seed @ Brooklyn, chose to take on Ignatius in the first round? They played the Cats 4 times this year, lost 5-1, 8-0, 7-0 and 10-2. They could have put themselves in a number of other places and gotten in a game or two before they took on a seeded team. Why the #1 seed?

And I get the argument that you're going to have to play the best teams sooner or later, but why the #1 seed right out of the box? Were they thinking maybe Geither wouldn't be back yet?

Did the coach have a condo on the beach reserved for next week?

Anyone have a take on why Padua, the #7 seed @ Brooklyn, chose to take on Ignatius in the first round? They played the Cats 4 times this year, lost 5-1, 8-0, 7-0 and 10-2. They could have put themselves in a number of other places and gotten in a game or two before they took on a seeded team. Why the #1 seed?

And I get the argument that you're going to have to play the best teams sooner or later, but why the #1 seed right out of the box? Were they thinking maybe Geither wouldn't be back yet?

Did the coach have a condo on the beach reserved for next week?

They want to make sure they lose to the best team in Ohio High school hockey history, instead of blowing a game before Iggy?

They want to make sure they lose to the best team in Ohio High school hockey history, instead of blowing a game before Iggy?

There may actually be truth to this.

I have heard from a couple of hockey people who have theorized that Padua's coach was concerned they might lose a game to a team from a lesser league (Red South- e.g., Rocky River, Walsh, Hudson), thereby jeopardizing Padua's spot in the Red North.

There may actually be truth to this.

I have heard from a couple of hockey people who have theorized that Padua's coach was concerned they might lose a game to a team from a lesser league (Red South- e.g., Rocky River, Walsh, Hudson), thereby jeopardizing Padua's spot in the Red North.

Padua's already lost several games to non-Red North schools from the Cleveland area. If the GCHSHL is consistent, there shouldn't be a question as to whether or not the Bruins are in the Red North next year--they absolutely should not be based on their division record. Only once in the past five or six years has the team with the worst record in the Red North remained in the division the following year, and quite frankly I'm not sure that Padua has the whining power that Eds had in 2010.

But never has a loss in the OHSAA tournament specifically cost a school a spot in the Red North. (Although in fairness, I am hearing rumblings that there could be a fairly significant realignment of the divisions next year in which case all bets are off and it is possible that Padua's entire resume could be used to judge where to place it--but if the realignment happens, Padua still wouldn't be in the new Red North because it won't still have seven teams).

But never has a loss in the OHSAA tournament specifically cost a school a spot in the Red North.

Well, do you have an opinion as to why Padua would have picked this game? It really doesn't make any sense from a competitive standpoint.

Well, do you have an opinion as to why Padua would have picked this game? It really doesn't make any sense from a competitive standpoint.

No clue at all. Perhaps they thought they could spring another upset, even though that thought would have been ridiculous.