Playoff disaster looming?

Call me callous, but in D1 the teams should all be pretty evenly matched in terms of enrollment numbers and other factors.

Not like a big D1 is playing a D5 school.

Pretty sure the running clock still applies in the playoffs.

Rarely have I seen a team firmly in command not play 2nd string and beyond running simple running plays once the game is decided.

I certainly understand the possible disparities that can exist between inner city schools vs. affluent suburban highs but by and large, most schools are not at the opposite end of the spectrum. A school like Oak Hills might get boat raced by say St. X in round one but I would think the OH players will hardly cry themselves to sleep after the games.

Something tells me most high school football players find ways to drown their sorrows after defeat the same ways they celebrate victories.
Actually that statement is the opposite of the reality! In Division 1 I. The state of Ohio the difference between the largest schools St. Xavier (1500 boys) versus the smallest Hilliard Darby (450 boys) is larger spread than Hilliard Darby versus a D7 school!!!!

MASON 1299
FAIRFIELD 1237
ST IGNATIUS 1163
ST XAVIER 1083
CENTERVILLE 1049
HAMILTON 1026
LAKOTA EAST 998
LAKOTA WEST 998
BEAVERCREEK 959
MENTOR 937
WEST CLERMONT 926
OAK HILLS 917

The 12 largest schools.

Half of these teams lose more than they win, to schools with enrollments in the 600-800 range. They have lost to D2-D5 schools this season.

Mentor is the only public here with a long running successful program. Lakota West may have something cooking. Mason and Lakota East hover around and just above .500.

They do less with more.

Pick Central (not going to get into any "roster building" discussions) has 699. Their performance speaks for its self.

New Albany would beat most of the publics on this list.

But I guess I was raised with the mindset of if you are always consumed with worrying about things being fair, you will never do or be your best.
I think you missed my point by the fact that enrollment is not even. So the argument that it is even is not valid. I am not saying that a school with 604 boys cannot beat a school with 1200 boys. I am just stating the fact that there is a separation of around 600 from top to bottom. I believe that plays a small part in the success of the program and makes a small difference. Unless that school is known for its football program. The other factors you mentioned bring schools back to even in some cases.

Here are the enrollment numbers for boys in 2018. I am not sure a 691 boy difference is even enrollment numbers. Enrollment is not a valid argument here. In my opinion.

https://www.ohsaa.org/school-resources/school-enrollment

MASON 1299
FAIRFIELD 1237
ST IGNATIUS 1163
ST XAVIER 1083
CENTERVILLE 1049
HAMILTON 1026
LAKOTA EAST 998
LAKOTA WEST 998
BEAVERCREEK 959
MENTOR 937
WEST CLERMONT 926
OAK HILLS 917
BRUNSWICK 915
REYNOLDSBURG 915
GAHANNA LINCOLN 893
CANTON McKINLEY SENIOR 872
LORAIN 872
KETTERING FAIRMONT 865
MEDINA 861
WHITMER 839
OLENTANGY LIBERTY 832
OLENTANGY ORANGE 832
SPRINGFIELD 831
SPRINGBORO 818
MILFORD 789
DUBLIN COFFMAN 785
GROVEPORT MADISON 778
GROVE CITY 764
WESTERN HILLS 764
WESTLAND 761
ELYRIA 760
COLERAIN 748
STRONGSVILLE 748
HILLIARD DAVIDSON 745
WAYNE 742
NEWARK 729
WALNUT HILLS 728
LANCASTER 724
GLENOAK 722
ST EDWARD 722
BEREA-MIDPARK 719
DUBLIN JEROME 719
WESTERVILLE CENTRAL 715
JACKSON 711
UPPER ARLINGTON 702
PICKERINGTON HIGH SCHOOL CENTRAL 699
HILLIARD BRADLEY 693
START 691
NORTHMONT 688
PRINCETON 686
THOMAS WORTHINGTON 682
ARCHBISHOP MOELLER 676
EUCLID 673
PERRYSBURG 672
MIDDLETOWN 671
CLEVELAND HEIGHTS 668
LEBANON 666
MARYSVILLE 662
HILLIARD DARBY 657
SYCAMORE 657
STOW-MUNROE FALLS 647
PICKERINGTON HIGH SCHOOL NORTH 642
SOLON 636
DELAWARE HAYES 634
MIAMISBURG 632
CENTRAL CROSSING 624
SHAKER HEIGHTS 624
WESTERVILLE NORTH 623
NEW ALBANY 608
2018??? Are you kidding those numbers dramatically changed in 3 years

Has anyone noticed that there are 10 D1 teams without a win halfway through the season? With 16 playoff schools per region, at least 6 will be playoff teams! Beside some colossal mismatches, what about the physical well being of those players? What about the message being sent to the kids?
Don't understand your point

Regarding how many teams get in THIS YEAR, the decision has been made and I have accepted it, like it or not. For me, when the thread is titled: playoff disaster looming? I think of that differently. The answer COULD be yes. How? Weekly playoff covid forfeits. That would SUCK and truly be a disaster. IMHO.

On every board, someone is always bitching that it's not fair that the biggest schools in one class are in the same class as the smallest schools in the same one. It gets old. The people on the low end of D1 are always going to complain. It doesn't matter how many divisions you have.

I think a minimum number of wins required should be implemented. Even if that number is 2 or 3. Qualifying for the playoffs should be a reward for a successful season. Going 0-10 or 1-9 and qualifying for the day playoffs is simply a joke and making the Ohio playoff system look like a bigger joke. If it is as easy as going 0-10 to make the dance then the OHSAA may as well just let every school in.

The OHSAA did this on their own without consulting the Coaches Association. The Ohio Football Coaches Association was against this.

#16 vs. #1 is extremely pointless. #1 seeds just pray no starters get hurt in meaningless game.
Don't play the starters then. Problem solved.

Actually the same number of teams win a trophy. Still just one per division.
6. Awards A championship and runner-up trophy will be awarded at the conclusion of the state championship game. In addition, 70 individual player awards and one coach award will be provided to the runner-up and championship teams. Additional awards may be purchased by contacting Croton Craft 1-800-947-5521.

6. Awards A championship and runner-up trophy will be awarded at the conclusion of the state championship game. In addition, 70 individual player awards and one coach award will be provided to the runner-up and championship teams. Additional awards may be purchased by contacting Croton Craft 1-800-947-5521.
Good call! Runner ups get a trophy as well.

Good call! Runner ups get a trophy as well.
Don't forget about all the regional champions and regional runner-ups.

I think a minimum number of wins required should be implemented. Even if that number is 2 or 3. Qualifying for the playoffs should be a reward for a successful season. Going 0-10 or 1-9 and qualifying for the day playoffs is simply a joke and making the Ohio playoff system look like a bigger joke. If it is as easy as going 0-10 to make the dance then the OHSAA may as well just let every school in.
YES-- EXACTLY! The OHSAA lets EVERY school in the playoffs-- in EVERY other sport, but football. There is NO REASON that football should be any different-- your attitude is silly-- and antiquated-- there is NOTHING special about football.

1 vs 16 = ugly
So? So will 1 vs. 8! Moeller has a decent chance of being in the top 4 of Division 1 Region 4-- and X murdered Moeller last week-- that could be the regional semi-final rematch-- what difference does it make? There are mismatches ALL THE WAY to the STATE FINAL-- X was ahead 44-3 against Pick Central in the state FINAL last year-- it was a running clock for the entire second half-- why does your statement matter at all?

Don't forget about all the regional champions and regional runner-ups.
Well then-- We should just CANCEL the playoffs-- so we can go back to awarding Massillon the (ONLY) fictional "poll championship", like we did, almost every year, for decades-- THAT's a much better solution than this silly "everyone gets a trophy" meme that prevails now. WHO CARES how many teams get a trophy-- we all KNOW who the champion is.

To the 1vs 16 people. Earlier today West branch was on top of region 13 the 16 seed however? Cleveland Glenville. Do you think West branch would massacre Cleveland Glenville? I would say Glenville has a solid chance to actually win that game.

To the 1vs 16 people. Earlier today West branch was on top of region 13 the 16 seed however? Cleveland Glenville. Do you think West branch would massacre Cleveland Glenville? I would say Glenville has a solid chance to actually win that game.
Glenville has fallen from Division I to Division 4 in a matter of a couple of years?

YES-- EXACTLY! The OHSAA lets EVERY school in the playoffs-- in EVERY other sport, but football. There is NO REASON that football should be any different-- your attitude is silly-- and antiquated-- there is NOTHING special about football.
its makes for a 7 week tournament.
Other sports are all 3-4 weeks. thats the difference!

with 8 teams we had:
a) schools going 8-2 and missing the playoffs. They said "our league can't get us in the playoffs with 8 wins. We need a new league"
b) schools going 6-4 and missing the playoffs. They said "with another win or two we could get into the playoffs. We need a new league"
c) schools playing traditional rivals who have outgrown them saying "we can't afford this game anymore, it's costing us the playoffs. We need a new schedule"

If 16 teams fixes those problems, I think I can live with kids who "didn't deserve their trophy" getting overmatched in round one.