PLAYOFF CHAMPS ONLY

I was at the '05 Final 4 game SCC vs NC game & I have long thought the ball was dangerously close to not crossing the line. I also believe the refs were even fooled by the call - not in position to see - he jumped with his back to the goal line & the ball was in his front belly - I'm not saying it was the worst call of all time but thought it was too close for a shot to win a final 4 game. I also thought if SCC was going for the win they would line up for a 2pt play - not run a fake PAT - but it worked & they earned it. Congrats to Catholic Central - gutsy call with a state appearance on the line.

Speaking of SCC/NC final 4 games - I played in the '93 game @ Zanesville.

Now that was a weird ending.
SCC had the ball up 19-15 with just seconds left and just had to kneel the ball to secure victory - the punter who was QB got the ball snapped to him & FORGOT TO KNEEL/GO DOWN - threw the ball BACKWARDS & began to celebrate - NC players went after the ball to try to pick it up & score but before they reached it - the ball was picked up by a SCC fan on the 5 yard line....our guys tackled him and ran the ball into the endzone...mass confusion took place. We stayed on the field for what felt like an eternity. Our coach tried to appeal to OHSAA but was denied a few days later. I've always thought - we had no business winning that game on a player's momentarily lapse of judgement but what a way to end a season...

Found this from SCC site (http://steubenvillecentralcrusaders.com/ArticlePage.aspx?ArticleID=433)
"Zanesville was the site for the semi-final match against Newark Catholic, a program rich in tradition and owners of a 12-0 record. In a game played in cold, steady rain on a muddy field, the Green Wave scored first, less than three minutes into the contest, after recovering a fumble at Central’s 23 yard line. Orlando noted, "They scored early and we could have folded, but we didn’t." Central moved ahead 12-8 on a pair of Orlando touchdown passes. The second, a 50 yard strike to Connor, was described by Coach Spence this way. "They started to creep up. Mike Orlando pump faked and hit him." Newark Catholic replied with a score of their own early in the final period to lead 15-12.

Central countered with a 65 yard drive, keyed by a spectacular 37 yard over-the-shoulder catch by Thorn, a play called by Orlando "one of the best catches in school history." Coach Spence added, "It was third and 12. He made an over-the-shoulder catch looking up with rain and snow coming down in his face." The Crusaders scored to take the lead 19-15.

With Central facing a fourth down at mid field with four seconds remaining, one more bit of drama was in store. As the team lined up in punt formation, Orlando took the snap intending to run the clock out. Instead he ran backwards and threw the ball in the air, and a fan touched the ball in bounds near Central’s goal line. He explained, "My mind reverted to basketball." Coach Lemal related the emotions at that instant: "I was so nervous that we may have blown it. There was a big huddle with the referees." The officials ruled the game over, as the ball was touched by a fan with no time remaining. Central would be going to the finals."

Who's ready for football to start back up?!
That '93 game was the wildest ending I've ever seen. I think (not going to definitely say) the ball would have rolled out of bounds without fan interference. I literally yelled "Oh my God" when Orlando threw the ball backwards. To NC's credit, several of their kids immediately peeled for the ball.

I had a question since you were on that team: I watched NC twice that season. the Catholic Central game and the regular season game against Toronto at Clarke Hinkle field in Toronto. A NC punt returner appeared like he was going to call for a fair catch. The ball went through his hands and landed at his feet. He picked it up and had a convoy down the sideline for a big return. Looked like he muffed it intentionally. Set play?

That '93 game was the wildest ending I've ever seen. I think (not going to definitely say) the ball would have rolled out of bounds without fan interference. I literally yelled "Oh my God" when Orlando threw the ball backwards. To NC's credit, several of their kids immediately peeled for the ball.

I had a question since you were on that team: I watched NC twice that season. the Catholic Central game and the regular season game against Toronto at Clarke Hinkle field in Toronto. A NC punt returner appeared like he was going to call for a fair catch. The ball went through his hands and landed at his feet. He picked it up and had a convoy down the sideline for a big return. Looked like he muffed it intentionally. Set play?
Not a set play on the muffed punt vs Toronto - that was a mistake.

We beat a very talented Bellaire squad led by Jose Davis the following week. Our schedule was no joke.

We did use a "wall" on punt & kick off returns in the '80's-90's - if you did not scout us we scored on that a lot. We scored on the opening kickoff & 2 punts vs Dayton Jefferson - they all ran in the middle of the field & as they went to chase the ball carrier were met with a convoy of blockers.

That '93 NC senior class went 38-3 during their 3 year careers:
won a state title 34-13 vs Bluffton as sophomores (lost by 1 to Hartley during the regular season)
lost in the state game 3-7 to St. Henry on a punt return as juniors
lost in the final 4 to SCC 15-19.
They only lost 3 games in 3 years by a total of 9 points. Only 5 teams in that 3 year stretch scored double digits on them. The '92 team did not give up more than 8 points in any game w/ 7 shutouts. That was a good squad SCC beat in '93. Nice work Crusaders.

I was at the '05 Final 4 game SCC vs NC game & I have long thought the ball was dangerously close to not crossing the line. I also believe the refs were even fooled by the call - not in position to see - he jumped with his back to the goal line & the ball was in his front belly - I'm not saying it was the worst call of all time but thought it was too close for a shot to win a final 4 game. I also thought if SCC was going for the win they would line up for a 2pt play - not run a fake PAT - but it worked & they earned it. Congrats to Catholic Central - gutsy call with a state appearance on the line.

Speaking of SCC/NC final 4 games - I played in the '93 game @ Zanesville.

Now that was a weird ending.
SCC had the ball up 19-15 with just seconds left and just had to kneel the ball to secure victory - the punter who was QB got the ball snapped to him & FORGOT TO KNEEL/GO DOWN - threw the ball BACKWARDS & began to celebrate - NC players went after the ball to try to pick it up & score but before they reached it - the ball was picked up by a SCC fan on the 5 yard line....our guys tackled him and ran the ball into the endzone...mass confusion took place. We stayed on the field for what felt like an eternity. Our coach tried to appeal to OHSAA but was denied a few days later. I've always thought - we had no business winning that game on a player's momentarily lapse of judgement but what a way to end a season...

Found this from SCC site (http://steubenvillecentralcrusaders.com/ArticlePage.aspx?ArticleID=433)
"Zanesville was the site for the semi-final match against Newark Catholic, a program rich in tradition and owners of a 12-0 record. In a game played in cold, steady rain on a muddy field, the Green Wave scored first, less than three minutes into the contest, after recovering a fumble at Central’s 23 yard line. Orlando noted, "They scored early and we could have folded, but we didn’t." Central moved ahead 12-8 on a pair of Orlando touchdown passes. The second, a 50 yard strike to Connor, was described by Coach Spence this way. "They started to creep up. Mike Orlando pump faked and hit him." Newark Catholic replied with a score of their own early in the final period to lead 15-12.

Central countered with a 65 yard drive, keyed by a spectacular 37 yard over-the-shoulder catch by Thorn, a play called by Orlando "one of the best catches in school history." Coach Spence added, "It was third and 12. He made an over-the-shoulder catch looking up with rain and snow coming down in his face." The Crusaders scored to take the lead 19-15.

With Central facing a fourth down at mid field with four seconds remaining, one more bit of drama was in store. As the team lined up in punt formation, Orlando took the snap intending to run the clock out. Instead he ran backwards and threw the ball in the air, and a fan touched the ball in bounds near Central’s goal line. He explained, "My mind reverted to basketball." Coach Lemal related the emotions at that instant: "I was so nervous that we may have blown it. There was a big huddle with the referees." The officials ruled the game over, as the ball was touched by a fan with no time remaining. Central would be going to the finals."

Who's ready for football to start back up?!
Amazing story about non-kneel down.

We beat a very talented Bellaire squad led by Jose Davis the following week. Our schedule was no joke.

We did use a "wall" on punt & kick off returns in the '80's-90's - if you did not scout us we scored on that a lot. We scored on the opening kickoff & 2 punts vs Dayton Jefferson - they all ran in the middle of the field & as they went to chase the ball carrier were met with a convoy of blockers.

won a state title 34-13 vs Bluffton as sophomores (lost by 1 to Hartley during the regular season)
They only lost 3 games in 3 years by a total of 9 points. Only 5 teams in that 3 year stretch scored double digits on them. The '92 team did not give up more than 8 points in any game w/ 7 shutouts. That was a good squad SCC beat in '93. Nice work Crusaders.
That's a fantastic story! Also a GOOD reminder that then & now, the game is played by kids. Some of them are more physically developed than those of us watching will ever be, but they're kids.

I talked to a NC guy at Toronto. Said your starting QB broke an ankle playing baseball . The backup QB was named Greene I believe. Lefty. He was real good. 2nd team all-state I think.

I talked to a NC guy at Toronto. Said your starting QB broke an ankle playing baseball . The backup QB was named Greene I believe. Lefty. He was real good. 2nd team all-state I think.
The starting QB (#10 Brian Klockner) of the Newark Catholic '92 state runner-up team did in fact shatter his leg running to first during baseball in the Spring (after football) so was still hurt entering the '93 football season.

Chris Green (#12 a 6"3 junior) got the nod over the senior Klockner due to injury - but yes was very talented but was in fact right handed.

I was a sophomore scout team & special teams player on the '93 NC final 4 football team.

That scene at the end of '93 SCC vs NC final 4 game in Zanesville is something I will never forget. Does anyone have footage of that game or is it on YouTube? If so please share.

Coming to the line of scrimmage on the Mooney 1 yard line as time was dwindling. Bo Pelini pointing and yelling at us and pointing fingers, fans going crazy. Nobody had heard of little Galion. We called qb sneak on the goose. TD Galion!!!!! Galion 6 Mooney 0
Mutant we played y’all at Cooper Stadium in the 1985 D2 state semifinal.
What a great crowd that night.
Hard hitting game.

Gallion 14
Greenhills 10

Much respect to you and your Galion team brother.
Y’all earned your championship for sure.
That could be the greatest team ever out of that area.

Greenhills is gone now.
Greenhills HS merged with Forest Park HS in 1991 and now is Winton Woods.

Long live the Greenhills Pioneers.

The Mighty Big Red winning back to back titles on my Dads “Buckeye Bill” birthday, both times.
Friday Dec 2nd 2005 Beat Columbus DeSales 28-7
Sat Dec 2nd 2006 Beat Kettering Alter 34-33 after squandering a 3 touchdown lead. Alter scores with less than a minute to go to make it 34-33. Needing an extra point to send it to overtime, the great Stevie Davis blocked the point after. Great Games on Pop’s birthday. Ironically we won our first state title when the Whitehall Yearling center dribbled the snap for the state championship win, kick was blocked sending it overtime where The Big Red prevailed. Winning state titles is Fun stuff !

Hard hitting game.

Gallion 14
Greenhills 10

Greenhills is gone now.

Forest Park 1981 Grad still rooting for Winton Woods. Living and rooting for Clinton Massie

The Mighty Big Red winning back to back titles on my Dads “Buckeye Bill” birthday, both times.
Friday Dec 2nd 2005 Beat Columbus DeSales 28-7
Sat Dec 2nd 2006 Beat Kettering Alter 34-33 after squandering a 3 touchdown lead. Alter scores with less than a minute to go to make it 34-33. Needing an extra point to send it to overtime, the great Stevie Davis blocked the point after. Great Games on Pop’s birthday. Ironically we won our first state title when the Whitehall Yearling center dribbled the snap for the state championship win, kick was blocked sending it overtime where The Big Red prevailed. Winning state titles is Fun stuff !
EXACTLY!!!!! WINNING STATE TITLES is a thrill of a lifetime. Anyone who has experienced CHARLIE SHEEN (WINNING) knows the satisfaction of triumph.

Hard hitting game.

Gallion 14
Greenhills 10

Greenhills is gone now.

Steubenville softened Mooney up the week before in the most physical football game I’d ever seen. If we’d have beaten Mooney I’m not sure we could have won the next week.

Forest Park 1981 Grad still rooting for Winton Woods. Living and rooting for Clinton Massie
Forest Park Chargers!
Hey Riverman that is totally awesome!
Probably know some of the same folks.

I remember going to the Forest Park games as a kid....tad younger than you.
RB Brian Mercer was something to see in those days.
It seems like every quarter he was gone on another long TD run.
He was a Parade All American for Forest Park and went to Univ of Michigan.

Good stuff and I obviously still root for Winton Woods as well.

I agree, because regardless, Galion was very solid
Galion was very impressive because they executed.
Owens was a great coach who moved on to Massillon and then to college ranks.
They didn't have many, if any, guys going both ways full time if I remember correctly.

Galion had that unbalanced line package they ran on everyone very well.
Great, small town Ohio Championship team.

This is a big shout out to the sponsor of this thread, CHARLIE SHEEN. Today is his birthday and he will be partying like no one else can. We spoke last evening. His message to all of those with "ADONIS BLOOD" is to "keep SHEENING." For those of you in Rio Linda, Ca., that alludes to WINNING. The man that masterminded BI-WINNING wants to read more of your CHAMPIONSHIP stories. He wants you to entrap in your memory bank the answer to the question; What rhymes with WINNNG? The answer is WINNING.

Galion was very impressive because they executed.
Owens was a great coach who moved on to Massillon and then to college ranks.
They didn't have many, if any, guys going both ways full time if I remember correctly.

Galion had that unbalanced line package they ran on everyone very well.
Great, small town Ohio Championship team.
I still keep in touch with Coach Owens and Coach Gillum who is
Fickells Director of football operations. 2 great men.

you are correct, we either played offense or defense. The unbalanced line we called it our north and south package, could throw out of it also.

the game against you was the first time we were down at halftime all year. One hell of a game, pads popping the whole game.

cooper stadium was packed!!

I still keep in touch with Coach Owens and Coach Gillum who is
Fickells Director of football operations. 2 great men.

you are correct, we either played offense or defense. The unbalanced line we called it our north and south package, could throw out of it also.

the game against you was the first time we were down at halftime all year. One hell of a game, pads popping the whole game.

cooper stadium was packed!!
Hey Mutant that two platoon is key and hurt Greenhills that night.
Greenhills played about 20 guys total that night including special teams with 6 guys hardly ever leaving the field, if at all.

It is totally cool that Gillum is at UC now with Fickell.

Kerry Coombs was a young assistant for Greenhills that night against Galion/Gillum.
After leaving Ohio State, Kerry is now Special Teams Coach at UC with Fickell.
So Gillum and Coombs coached against each other all those years ago and are on same staff now.
I'll bet they don't even know it lol.

Side note: Coombs 1st ever HS coaching job was at Greenhills in 1983 and 1984 seasons.
He then took assistant coach job at Lakota in 1985.
When Lakota's regular season ended in 1985, he came back and coached for playoffs only at Greenhills.
Wierd set of circumstances because Greenhills was down to 3 varsity coaches including the head coach for the playoffs.
All loved him and were glad he came back and sat in the booth helping out lol.
Good stuff.

Hey Mutant that two platoon is key and hurt Greenhills that night.
Greenhills played about 20 guys total that night including special teams with 6 guys hardly ever leaving the field, if at all.

It is totally cool that Gillum is at UC now with Fickell.

Kerry Coombs was a young assistant for Greenhills that night against Galion/Gillum.
After leaving Ohio State, Kerry is now Special Teams Coach at UC with Fickell.
So Gillum and Coombs coached against each other all those years ago and are on same staff now.
I'll bet they don't even know it lol.

Side note: Coombs 1st ever HS coaching job was at Greenhills in 1983 and 1984 seasons.
He then took assistant coach job at Lakota in 1985.
When Lakota's regular season ended in 1985, he came back and coached for playoffs only at Greenhills.
Wierd set of circumstances because Greenhills was down to 3 varsity coaches including the head coach for the playoffs.
All loved him and were glad he came back and sat in the booth helping out lol.
Good stuff.
Man I had no idea Combs was on the staff. And to coach one team during the season and another in the playoffs is wild.
Our first playoff game was against Toledo Devilibis. They closed also. What year did CAPE close?

the following year Purcell Marian beat the hell out of everyone
Good memories brother!!