Playing after playoff elimination

ambassador

I noticed two games in eastern Ohio last night had altercations near then end of the game. The Southern Local - East Liverpool ended with a few minutes left in the 4th quarter, and the Harrison Central- Buckeye Local also had an ejection and other incidents but managed to finish. I know th coaches are responsible for the conduct of their players, but could the fact these teams have been eliminated make this more difficult. Any thought on this ?

The school I follow has played two games since being eliminated. Both games have been close well played games. Good sportsmanship on both sides. I think the schools were happy to have the additional games. These weren't rivalry games. Were the games you mentioned rivals?

I noticed two games in eastern Ohio last night had altercations near then end of the game. The Southern Local - East Liverpool ended with a few minutes left in the 4th quarter, and the Harrison Central- Buckeye Local also had an ejection and other incidents but managed to finish. I know th coaches are responsible for the conduct of their players, but could the fact these teams have been eliminated make this more difficult. Any thought on this ?
There are teams eliminated from the playoffs weeks 8, 9, &10 every year. Nothing is different.

There are teams eliminated from the playoffs weeks 8, 9, &10 every year. Nothing is different.
I believe you misunderstood ambassador's post. The teams mentioned had been eliminated from the playoffs before the game was played. In a normal season games in weeks 8, 9 and 10 are regular season games, not playoff games.

I believe you misunderstood ambassador's post. The teams mentioned had been eliminated from the playoffs before the game was played. In a normal season games in weeks 8, 9 and 10 are regular season games, not playoff games.
He can provide a more definitive answer if he needs, but I think he understood the post just fine. There are teams in normal regular seasons that are playing games in weeks 8-10 after having been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. They don't all suddenly decide it's time to drop the gloves and do some brawling.

I've not read through the OHSAA football pages so it may not be allowed. My question is, does anyone think teams should be able to play games after being eliminated from the playoffs? I'm thinking of several teams in this area that used to be in the same conference but no longer are. Two in particular used to be big rivals.

OHSAA states that you can play games after playoff elimination.
These would count as regular season games.
A max of 10 regular season games are permitted with-in the season start-end dates
No games are permitted after the the season end date (Nov.14)

OHSAA News release Aug. 24,2020
• Schools eliminated from the OHSAA playoffs or that choose not to enter the OHSAA playoffs have the option to schedule additional regular season contests through Saturday, November 14 (maximum of 10 regular season contests permitted).

:>---

EGA

The school's in my area who have been eliminated are the same ones who....in a normal season, are either eliminated after 7 or 8 weeks of the regular season or are eliminated after 1 week of playoff football. Most of them are excited to move on to other, less violent sports. None seem to take HS football too seriously.

OHSAA states that you can play games after playoff elimination.
These would count as regular season games.
A max of 10 regular season games are permitted with-in the season start-end dates
No games are permitted after the the season end date (Nov.14)

OHSAA News release Aug. 24,2020
• Schools eliminated from the OHSAA playoffs or that choose not to enter the OHSAA playoffs have the option to schedule additional regular season contests through Saturday, November 14 (maximum of 10 regular season contests permitted).

:>---

EGA
Therefore in a normal year the answer would be no,

I like the idea. This gives teams a chance to play teams they might not normally play. Also they can schedule games with teams of similar talent levels. Example,Spfld.Catholic had lost 30 in a row,they opted out of the playoff. Then went out and teams with similar talent and record.. the Irish went 2-1 over the last 3 games and now those players are looking forward to next season. This is good for the players,the program and the school.

It has been a crappy year for HS sports. Rivalry games postponed, covid making kids sit out and games getting canceled. Let the kids play when they have a chance.

I’d like to see all teams get in to the playoffs like this year. You’d have a true champion every year. Make the change OSHAA!

The point that I was initially trying to make had to do with teams playing after they were eliminated from the playoffs. I know 2020 is a year we all,hope we never see again....and any games played are a bonus for all of us. When making my initial post, I referenced two games in eastern Ohio. There was a third game, Indian Creek vs Edison on Saturday night Where There was a fight before half and there were two ejections. My initial question concerned the lack of future accountability of the players. Did the fact that these games were played after the teams were eliminated have an impact on this.? I don’t have a strong opinion either way... just tossing the question out.

The point that I was initially trying to make had to do with teams playing after they were eliminated from the playoffs. I know 2020 is a year we all,hope we never see again....and any games played are a bonus for all of us. When making my initial post, I referenced two games in eastern Ohio. There was a third game, Indian Creek vs Edison on Saturday night Where There was a fight before half and there were two ejections. My initial question concerned the lack of future accountability of the players. Did the fact that these games were played after the teams were eliminated have an impact on this.? I don’t have a strong opinion either way... just tossing the question out.

It would be the same as a week 10 ejection in a previous year if the team(s) weren't going to make the playoffs. The ejection penalty either goes into next football season if they don't play another sport, or goes into the next sport they play.

In terms of how an all-in playoff would happen, you'd either have an eight week regular season with a seven week playoff, or a nine week regular season with a seven week playoff.

Anything in the local media about these games?