Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Mitch Keller is such a middling pitcher. I don’t get why everyone was so up in arms over his contract negotiations.

Mitch Keller is such a middling pitcher. I don’t get why everyone was so up in arms over his contract negotiations.
I agree. Keller is an average pitcher at best certainly not a No. 1 for most teams.
As a Reds fan I can tell you that when we play the Bucs in a series, I am happy if we can miss Keller. I'd agree he is not a #1 for most contending teams but he is a solid #2 or #3, with really good stuff. On his best days, he can be a problem for hitters. But he seems to have days where he just doesn't have it, and he gets beat up.

Having said that. I haven't seen a couple of the kids you have this year, so maybe they are better than Keller, I don;t know. You are off to a great start.

As a Reds fan I can tell you that when we play the Bucs in a series, I am happy if we can miss Keller. I'd agree he is not a #1 for most contending teams but he is a solid #2 or #3, with really good stuff. On his best days, he can be a problem for hitters. But he seems to have days where he just doesn't have it, and he gets beat up.

Having said that. I haven't seen a couple of the kids you have this year, so maybe they are better than Keller, I don;t know. You are off to a great start.
For me it’s just a consistency thing. I understand no pitcher has his best stuff every night but it seems with Mitch he has his best stuff around every 4th start and gets lit up in at least one of the other 3. Bucs have 3-4 guys who appear to be above average starters ,Jones, Priester, Skenes and a couple others. I think eventually this will be a strength maybe even this season if they are lucky.

Very nice start so far. But if yall remember last April they finished 20-8
Some positives- overall hitting, especially from Michael Taylor. Reynolds is his usual consistent self and Cruz is looking better.
McCutcheon? Overall looking bad and very late on swings. I cannot fathom him staying in the middle of the line up taking up significant ABs.
Bullpen looks solid. And as was described upthread Keller is looking pretty hittable
Aroldis still has some petro left in the tank

I don't see this team having the top end pitching needed to make any kind of run for quite awhile. The Pirates have one of the worst developmental systems in the league and it's showing up now. AAA is practically barren aside from Skenes.

Bednar blows his 3rd save. Maybe Bucs should put Chapman in that role till Bednar figures it out.

Yinzers booing Bednar. Stay classy.
Yeah, there are plenty of idiots amongst the fandom of evert sport. I’ve never booed anyone. Most people that boo are simply uninformed. In any case Bednar threw. 1-2-3 ninth v. the Phil’s last night so in all likelihood he’ll be fine. Just a hiccup.