Pickerington Booster Club Scandal

Great examples of why it's important for different parents to step up and volunteer for elected positions each year. Too often folks are happy to let the same people do the same positions each year, which has the potential down the road to be lax about the boosters administration.

My wife was the treasurer of our band parents group one year, and stepped down after that. She told me it was hard work (and a bit nerve-wracking handling money each week) and that she had no desire to do it again, She also said she was glad she stepped in and learned how the group was run, and to know as a parent that it ran properly.

My coworker is a Central band dad. Said that the issue(s) happened two school years ago. His take was the story on the news somewhat over-amplified the controversy and that it basically comes down to receipts not being presented or coming in late. He didn’t suggest there was anything like embezzlement happening, although who knows - maybe there was? He also made a point that some of the underlying tension behind the situation is something to the effect of “not everyone gets a vote”, “not everyone gets elected to the boosters board” etc One last thing was he had said the booster club is entirely on the hook for all transportation costs for the band and not every family with a participating student pays their fair share (or anything) when it comes to riding the bus.

Make of all that, what you will.

My daughter was just complaining about a particular school system group similar to the one being discussed here. I will not name the community, but the way in which they treat youth parents and the expectations associated with the varsity sports is unacceptable. In a nut shell the condensation and threatening tone tactics utilized were completely out of line and this was towards parents who had no children in varsity sports, that had paid their dues for their young child to play in a grade school level activity.