Perseid Meteor Shower

You only get either your first wish or last wish; the ones in between are lost.

Perseids ~ derived from the word Perseidai, the sons of Perseus in Greek mythology.
so called (Perseids) because they appear to come from the constellation Perseus.
--- Thanks to my BSA Astronomy Merit Badge ---

300px-Sidney_Hall_-_Urania%27s_Mirror_-_Perseus.jpg

Françoise Hardy ~ as an actress she played Lisa, the girlfriend of
Nino Barlini (young Italian driver) in the film Grand Prix.

Grand Prix...

~~~

Catch A Falling Star was a #1 hit for Perry Como in the mid 1950s
The recording netted Como a Grammy and a Gold-Record.
- the Ray Charles Singers, sing refrain as a repeated round / background -

:>---

Leatherneck

What time of night is one more likely to see them?
I live in a more rural area and went out at 11:30 P.M. The second one I saw on Tuesday was so impressive that I felt that I couldn't top it so I went back inside after ten minutes. August is a good time to see planets as well. Jupiter, Saturn and Mars can be seen after nightfall. Venus more in the early morning before dawn. I think July is the best month, at least for me. You can see the all of the planets with the naked eye some time during July. I get off on pondering the sheer distance of them from Earth.

Reminds ya of how small we really are. Some collection of dust and rock has been traveling the Solar System for 5 billion years to burn up in our atmosphere in a flash.

I remember reading how as a young kid in Cincy Speilberg's dad woke him up in the middle of the night and took him out into the country and laid out a blanket to watch the Perseid Shower. He went on to say how seeing those Meteors as a young child sparked his interest in space and sci-fi.

The Perseid sparked Close Encounters and ET.

One of the best things of rural living IMO is the stars. Love it
A few years ago we stayed a couple of nights in a desert cottage in SE Arizona. Four miles from the nearest "town" my wife and son figured there would be no artificial lights and they would see stars better than what we see in Ohio. They studied charts of stars and prepared to ID all the constellations. They gave up after about a minute.

I've been out on moonless nights in Ohio. Higher elevation, no humidity, no glare from artificial lights. You have no idea. It's stunning.

Woke up early to watch the show, pretty cool. Glad I'm not the only one who just goes outside to stare at the the sky

I also enjoy tracking planes with flightradar24. It's awesome to know where every plane in the sky is going.

A few years ago we stayed a couple of nights in a desert cottage in SE Arizona. Four miles from the nearest "town" my wife and son figured there would be no artificial lights and they would see stars better than what we see in Ohio. They studied charts of stars and prepared to ID all the constellations. They gave up after about a minute.

I've been out on moonless nights in Ohio. Higher elevation, no humidity, no glare from artificial lights. You have no idea. It's stunning.
Download a VR stargazing app. Just point your phone up at the sky and it'll show you what everything is

The second one I saw on Tuesday was so impressive that I felt that I couldn't top it so I went back inside after ten minutes. .
A fireball? Those are something else. Lucky enough to see one with my son about 15 years ago, we spent the evening at Hocking Hills to watch the Perseids. 3:30 AM we heard a loud noise and whooosh! That thing lit up the sky and left a wide vapor trail that glowed for a few seconds .....

Was watching a Documentary on Amazon Prime, they spent a year at the Antarctic station. The Summer sky was incredible.

Last edited:
You don't get it.

Hey I just want to look at the stars but YOU said they wanted to id the constellations. You said they gave up after a minute. I think it's cool that you can do that with a cell phone, quicker to get on with the star gazing. Seems like that calls for a "thank you," not a "you don't get it." ?

Hey I just want to look at the stars but YOU said they wanted to id the constellations. You said they gave up after a minute. I think it's cool that you can do that with a cell phone, quicker to get on with the star gazing. Seems like that calls for a "thank you," not a "you don't get it." ?
You don't get it either.

There's value and enjoyment in study, and going, and finding, and knowing.

I'm using SkyView Lite. Even the Lite version identifies what you are seeing and gives information on it. One of the features that I like is that the app shows when a planet, International Space Station, etc is below the horizon with an arc that indicates when it will clear the horizon and become visible.

You don't get it either.

There's value and enjoyment in study, and going, and finding, and knowing.

I do get it. YOU said your wife and son GAVE UP after one minute. That one minute of enjoyment might have been enough on the honeymoon but he was simply being nice, giving you a way to extend her enjoyment of the stars and you pooped on it.

YOU don't get it. Now apologize for being a butthead and thank him for the very nice informative suggestion or I'm going to tell your wife on you.

Woke up early to watch the show, pretty cool. Glad I'm not the only one who just goes outside to stare at the the sky

I also enjoy tracking planes with flightradar24. It's awesome to know where every plane in the sky is going.
Went out on the lake this year to watch it. Pretty damned cool!

Went out around 11:30 but didn’t see any. I’m pretty close currently to Cleveland which might impact it. I read the best time is around 4 but I’m not waking up for that.

Speaking of natural phenomenon, I saw a water spout for the first time on Lake Erie recently which was pretty cool

Went out around 11:30 but didn’t see any. I’m pretty close currently to Cleveland which might impact it. I read the best time is around 4 but I’m not waking up for that.

Speaking of natural phenomenon, I saw a water spout for the first time on Lake Erie recently which was pretty cool
Being that close to a black hole will make it impossible to see it.....

I do get it. YOU said your wife and son GAVE UP after one minute. That one minute of enjoyment might have been enough on the honeymoon but he was simply being nice, giving you a way to extend her enjoyment of the stars and you pooped on it.

YOU don't get it. Now apologize for being a butthead and thank him for the very nice informative suggestion or I'm going to tell your wife on you.
Lmao. Perhaps his wife and son "didn't get it" either, so they gave up quickly because chs was being an asş and they just wanted to go back to the hotel.