Pennants at Ohio Stadium

Rolly67

I was asked by a Penn State fan at the game why their was a West Virginia and Oklahoma pennant flying in the NW corner of the stadium. I did not have a good answer for him. I received an answer from a friend who was a manager on the team for a few years but I wasn't satisfied with his answer so I'll put it out their to the Yappi regulars to see if anyone has some insight then I'll post what my friend thought.

Gh0st

Usually the south towers are OSU and whoever they are playing. The east side typically has the Big 10 conference team flags. The rest are past opponents or big OOC game opponents. Oklahoma makes sense since they recently played. IDK why West Virginia. The last time they played was 1998 and don't have an future series with them that I'm aware of.

eastside_purple

I was asked by a Penn State fan at the game why their was a West Virginia and Oklahoma pennant flying in the NW corner of the stadium. I did not have a good answer for him. I received an answer from a friend who was a manager on the team for a few years but I wasn't satisfied with his answer so I'll put it out their to the Yappi regulars to see if anyone has some insight then I'll post what my friend thought.
What was the managers unsatisfactory response?

irish_buffalo

Excellent question. Tried to do some digging and the same question was posed on the Eleven Warriors Forum in 2014 with no response.

Michael Bluth

Usually the south towers are OSU and whoever they are playing. The east side typically has the Big 10 conference team flags. The rest are past opponents or big OOC game opponents. Oklahoma makes sense since they recently played. IDK why West Virginia. The last time they played was 1998 and don't have an future series with them that I'm aware of.
They probably put the WV flag up in 1998 and just never bothered to take it down. Maybe Gordon Gee told them to leave it up

Rolly67

What was the managers unsatisfactory response?
His response was basically that there is no rhyme or reason, the stadium student volunteer's basically go through the old pennants and put up a few that are in the best shape. With all of the tradition of the program and stadium, I was hoping for something a little better than that. If it was my choice, I would have an Oregon and Notre Dame pennant to remind fans of the big non-con games upcoming. And of course, TTUN flag would be upside down.